Any secondary literature?

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Kevin

Any secondary literature?

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Hello all!
Longtime lurker here.
I have a question concerning the analysis and/or interpretation of The Brick. Surely, since the publication of Les Misérables there must have been written dozens of volumes with essays? However, I have not found any secondary literature. Does it even exist?
If it does exist, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction? I'd certainly love to read about the themes, origin of story lines and characters (etc.)

Thanks in advance!

~Kevin.

deHavilland

Re: Any secondary literature?

Postby deHavilland » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi, Kevin!

Yes, there are definitely some good critical writings, the first that comes to mind is Mario Vargas Llosa's The Temptation of the Impossible, which I recommend since it's also just a good read. There's also Kathryn Grossman's Les Misérables: Conversion, Revolution, Redemption and Victor Brombert's Victor Hugo and the Visionary Novel and if you can read French, there's André Brochu's Hugo — Amour / Crime / Révolution.

I'd also recommend Graham Robb's Victor Hugo biography. It's not strictly about Les Mis, of course, but it's great and also Graham Robb is awesome. A lot of Les Mis is drawn from Hugo's personal experiences and political allegiances (and shifting thereof) so if you want to understand where he's coming from with certain story elements, his biography is a great place to start.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Kevin

Re: Any secondary literature?

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 pm

DeHavilland: Thank you so much for your (quick and thorough!) answer. I will try to find these writings.

Sincerely,
~Kevin.

Return to “The Brick”