Is it true there are editions of the Brick where...

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Majestic_Picnob

Is it true there are editions of the Brick where...

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:00 pm

...the fourth volume (The Idyll of the Rue Plumet and the Epic of the Rue St. Denis) is named after Éponine? I could swear I read this somewhere, but I can't recall where. Certainly it sort of makes sense, as while she's not the main character in that part of the story she's definitely the facilitator of getting the plot from Point A to Point B, but it seems like an arbitrary change if it's true. Perhaps they just wanted all the volumes to be named after characters?

Anyone heard of this?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Gervais

Re: Is it true there are editions of the Brick where...

Postby Gervais » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:13 am

There's a single book called Éponine (Vol IV, Book 2), but I've never seen a volume named after her. I think someone's mentioned before that in a certain production of the musical, the characters in the Finale were lined up in the same order as the volumes if you considered Éponine representing the Idyll in Rue Plumet. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

humanracer

Re: Is it true there are editions of the Brick where...

Postby humanracer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Hugo made tons of changes to his text, even after the book was published. None however involved changing the titles of the books. The closest you will get is the original draft which has Éponine as the first book of part IV.

Return to “The Brick”