"None of that, Lisette!"

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
singingstar1216

"None of that, Lisette!"

Postby singingstar1216 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:49 am

At one point in the brick, Éponine is near Cosette's home and says, "None of that, Lisette!" I'm still trying to figure out what that's supposed to mean. My guess is that it's something negative or sarcastic, but I'd really like to know if this was some sort of expression or what.
Love is beautiful, but beauty is not love.

WhoIam

Re: "None of that, Lisette!"

Postby WhoIam » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:27 am

The Abaisse story goes that Lisette is Éponine's invisible unicorn friend. You may thank Gervais for this theory. Interpret as you wish.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

singingstar1216

Postby singingstar1216 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 am

Haha, okay. I'll keep that in mind.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:29 pm

"Pas de ça, Lisette" is a French phrase which is used to indicate refusal or denial. I have read that its origins come from a popular song but its first usage seems to date much further than that, probably to at least 1786. I have no idea if the expression is still widely used in France or not. Maybe some of our French friends on here can help?

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:41 pm

WhoIam wrote:The Abaisse story goes that Lisette is Éponine's invisible unicorn friend. You may thank Gervais for this theory. Interpret as you wish.

Also geminimimi/Elaine and a few others. :mrgreen:

humanracer wrote:"Pas de ça, Lisette" is a French phrase which is used to indicate refusal or denial. I have read that its origins come from a popular song but its first usage seems to date much further than that, probably to at least 1786. I have no idea if the expression is still widely used in France or not. Maybe some of our French friends on here can help?

I have no idea about modern usage, but thanks for this bit. :D French wiktionary also says "Exclamation used to put the end to something, for example, in a gesture to the serious, irreparable consequences." (Sorry about the poor Bing translation.) So, in reference to...maybe coming up with her plan to kill Marius? Maybe it's coming together at that point?

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:18 pm

It's basically like the French version of "No way, Jose!" and it's considered to be argot.

As Humanracer says, it's often linked to the 1821 Beranger song, Ce n'est plus Lisette, (It's No Longer Lisette) but actually appeared in printed literature as early as 1788. (Though the song does not appear to be based on or referencing this earlier usage.)

You can still see it used today, but it's mutated from "Pas de ça, Lisette" to "Pas de salisettes." And is about as common as seeing someone in English openly write out the phrase "no way, Jose!" -- which is to say, it's not terribly common.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

singingstar1216

Postby singingstar1216 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:23 am

Thanks, you guys! This was very helpful. You have no idea how long that line had been bugging me. xD

Return to “The Brick”