Amis and the 1830 Revolution

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Acaila

Re: Amis and the 1830 Revolution

Postby Acaila » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:15 am

For logical reasons, maybe he was off visiting family or something else that conveniently removes him from the opportunity to join in or not.

I have to admit, last time I heard this question about Grantaire I thought of an old boss of mine, who went to London as a student to take part in the Poll Tax protest/riots, got there early and decided to go for a pre-march drink with a couple of people and woke up a couple of days later in Amsterdam. As you do.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 am

Acaila wrote:I have to admit, last time I heard this question about Grantaire I thought of an old boss of mine, who went to London as a student to take part in the Poll Tax protest/riots, got there early and decided to go for a pre-march drink with a couple of people and woke up a couple of days later in Amsterdam. As you do.

Actually, that is pretty much what I was thinking with Grantaire. Minus the specifics and Amsterdam. :lol:
As far as actually being useful and thus Keeping His Place, maybe the kept him around because he could still be good for making connections or at least Enjolras thought he could. Maybe not useful in an actual fight so much (though if he would stay awake, he probably would be), but for preparing for it.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:15 am

Exactly - if he was a complete waste of space in 1830, they'd have isolated him. So he was either half-assedly active without ruining anything (following Enjolras around like a puppy trying to get noticed) or absolutely out of the way.

I think it's nothing more than a single act that in itself wasn't all that much - that he accidentally threw in something really good when other people were haranguing the National Guard or happened to have picked up a bit of useful information from a café acquaintance that turned out to be much bigger than he ever thought. R could never have deliberately done anything important, but his existence was once useful, vaguely, and that buys him continued patience and trust as plans for the next go round are heating up.

Whether it happened in 1830 or not, something of the sort must have happened (even a saint would have got rid of him long ago if he was only ever good for obnoxious rants - it's not Enjolras telling him to sit down and shut up), and 1830 is as good a time as any for an accidental proof of seriousness or utility.

Or he ended up in Amsterdam.

Hugo's 1832 is weirdly isolated and the whole timeline can actually make more sense if you just skip about a year, including the July Revolution, but I think it gets mentioned because it's the one time that Marius' father's Bonapartist friends and his own left wing radical friends were at one point in agreement. It worked out enough for Marius to think "I was right in all things, and my grandfather was wrong - see?" and that was what soothed him (or whatever Hugo's phrasing is).
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Return to “The Brick”