Victor Hugo and family - photograph

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
humanracer

Victor Hugo and family - photograph

Postby humanracer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 am

http://www.deanephotos.com/images/Victo ... mily_b.jpg

Can anyone identify the others?

I have also been reading a news article about Hugo's death. Some interesting facts on there (most of which you probably know already)

* He gave half his fortune to Adele despite the fact she was mentally ill

* The article says he quarrelled with Adele because she loved an English man. Was Hugo anti-English?

* Alexandre Dumas was with him at his bedside when he died

* There were 6000 people outside trying to get in to see Hugo's body after he died

* He reguarly gave meals for poor children, twice a week. His theory was that by doing this he would prevent starvation

* The first clause of his will was a donation to the poor

* He had to be economical until the success of Les Misérables brought him a fortune

Source
The Penny Illustrated Paper and Illustrated Times (London, England), Saturday, May 30, 1885; pg. 340; Issue 1250

between4walls

Re: Victor Hugo and family - photograph

Postby between4walls » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:05 am

humanracer wrote:* He gave half his fortune to Adele despite the fact she was mentally ill

* The article says he quarrelled with Adele because she loved an English man. Was Hugo anti-English?

She was obsessed with/stalking the British man due to her mental illness and fell out of contact with her family, who were trying to keep track of her, for a while while following him in the Americas. The papers at the time may not have connected the two aspects of the story.

It seems to have run in the family; Hugo's brother also suffered from mental illness and was institutionalized.

Hugo's kids were really unlucky- there were five of them but only Adele outlived Hugo (which probably explains why she got so much of the inheritance). Leopold died as a baby, Leopoldine drowned in a boating accident age 20, Charles died of an aneurysm in his forties, and Francois-Victor died of tuberculosis also in his forties. He was pretty close to his grandchildren, Charles's kids.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:08 am

Adele Hugo was born right in the middle of the July Revolution, on the 28th. As her father put it, "My wife delivered nicely, a little after the machine gun fire and the cannon shots.. Sainte-Beuve is the godfather." He had started working on Notre-Dame de Paris on the 25th, but between the revolution (he wasn't involved, but his house was in range of the shooting and he lost some of his notes/writing while moving) and the new baby he wound up having to get an extension on the deadline.

Things turned really awkward when it turned out that the aforementioned Sainte-Beuve (a critic and a friend of Hugo's) was in love with Hugo's wife and rumors started spreading that Sainte-Beuve was the real father of Adele Hugo.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:28 am

between4walls wrote:
It seems to have run in the family; Hugo's brother also suffered from mental illness and was institutionalized.

He fell in love with Victor's wife at some point possibly because of the illness, right?

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:55 am

This is interesting. Anything about his mistress here?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Gervais wrote:
between4walls wrote:

He fell in love with Victor's wife at some point possibly because of the illness, right?

Probably, but before the marriage rather than after it. Eugene Hugo had been seriously unstable for a while already (Victor had noticed him acting strange but wondered if maybe he was involved with a secret society!) but he publicly broke down at the wedding dinner.

An interesting fact about the wedding: Hugo was never baptized a Christian, due to his dad's anti-clericalism, and he couldn't be married in church without a baptismal record. So he wrote to his dad that he was sure he'd been baptized at some point and his dad agreed to claim he had been baptized in Italy and that that was why there was a problem with the records. That's how Hugo and his wife managed to get married in church.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:This is interesting. Anything about his mistress here?

You may know this already, but she was the model for this statue (made by her previous partner/father of her child) which stands in the Place de la Concorde (which I assume you'll want to see anyway due to the history), so you can see her on the square when you go to Paris.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Ahhh, thanks for this!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:02 pm

There are eight statues symbolizing the different cities of France in the square and she represents the famously contested Strasbourg.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:12 am

Reminder: He may not have really "given" half his fortune to Adèle. Unless being committed was accompanied by civil death, he legally could not leave less than half his estate to his surviving child. Only after all children are dead can you move on the grandchildren as primary heirs.

Keep in mind the Napoleonic code every time you look at any inheritance in France. It functions entirely differently to the English common law most of us here are used to.

Hugo's general wishes (excluding the obvious bias that his entire generation grew up living with the Napoleonic code and it had become not only the law but a social commonplace as well) may have fallen entirely in line with the law (and I think Adèle was childless, so her next of kin would then be Charles' children and that share of the estate would have fallen back to them later), but half is literally the minimum he could leave to her, so it's hard to tell what his preferences or motivations might have been. So don't read anything at all in Adèle's inheritance - it has literally no family meaning, only legal meaning, without direct statements to the contrary.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:57 am

Here's the text of his will. Goes into some of the issues with regard to his literary estate and the fact that his heirs (Adele and the two grandkids) were all either mentally ill or minor children. Financial provision is also made for Charles's widow, the mother of the grandchildren, though I don't understand enough to evaluate the extent/conditions. If anyone more familiar with inheritance and literary estates wants to analyze the will...

Four of the six executors are prominent political types-Cremieux (of Cremieux decree fame, if you're interested in Algeria and/or Jewish history), Grevy (a future President), Favre, and Gambetta (a future Prime Minister). Though the two less prominent executors (who were lawyers) seem to have more actual responsibility.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:17 am

humanracer wrote:* Alexandre Dumas was with him at his bedside when he died

If this was so, it would have been Alexandre Dumas fils of La dame aux camelias fame, as Dumas pere of The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo fame died fifteen years before Hugo.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:48 am

What I would love is some reliable information on comtesse Clementine Hugo (some sort of niece of Hugo's) who appears to have spent time in Italy, written some books including one about the Rome of her day, and got involved in some sort of scandal involving anarchism (of which I have so far found only the vaguest of details. Everything about her is vague.)

LauraLeZunzu

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:39 am

Ohh I love this thread! Thank you!!
I knew some of this because of the docummentary that came in the DVD+extras of Les Mis 2012 movie, but things like Alexandre Dumas' presence are new.
Actually Hugo's life was ver hard... losing 4 children? As I read that (when I read les mis), it... I don't know, is very very sad :( :(

Return to “The Brick”