Les Misérables characters and Personality Profiling

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.

Les Misérables characters and Personality Profiling

Postby LeadenAnchor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 am

I've been doing a lot of random research on personality profiling theory lately (mainly because I plan on becoming a counselor and would like to be able to quickly identify and explore general ways in which different people operate so I'll be able to mold counseling to their needs etc.) and given my fanliness I decided to try and apply two of these systems (16 Types and Enneagram) to....you guessed it - Les Mis characters. Damn, I'm nerdy.

Here's information on 16 Types:
http://www.personalitypage.com/portraits.html

And here's information on Enneagram:
http://www.9types.com/

And here are my guesses for the characters, which are incomplete (if you've ever thought about this, please share your guesses XD.)

16 Types:
Bishop Myriel - INFJ
Valjean -ISFJ, maybe ISTP
Javert - ISTJ
Fantine - INFP
Thénardier - ESTJ
Enjolras - ENTJ
Grantaire - ESTP or ESFP
Combeferre - INTP
Mabeuf - INTP
Cosette - INFP or ISFP
Marius - INFP
Éponine - CRAZY (though I think if you scraped away the crazy she'd probably end up being an ENFP)

Enneagram:
Bishop Myriel - 9w1
Valjean - 2w1 maybe?
Javert - 1
Thénardier - 3
Combeferre - 5
Mabeuf - 5
Gavroche - 6
Enjolras - 8
Grantaire - Maybe a 9?
Marius - 6w7 probably

That's all I have so far.
You said it, didn't you? "Just do it, kill me"
LeadenAnchor

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:30 am

Enneagram wise, I think Fantine is a bit of a 2. And Cosette is definitely a 7.
Éponine's a bit hard, but I peg her as a 4.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."
Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Revolution With Lace » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:26 am

I think I've done this with Les Mis characters once. Let me see...

Myriel-agreed
Valjean-I'm going with ISFJ
Javert-agreed
Fantine-ISFP-I think the description in the MBTI Type book I have really nailed Fantine's personality-at least my subjective view.
Thenardier-agreed
Thenardiess-ENFP, maybe? Based on her love for romance novels, affinity for her daughters, and general Thenardiessism.
Eponine-I don't know. xP My guess is that she's bipolar or else has a mental disease of some sort, which makes it hard.
Marius-I have him as an INFX, because even though he is a renegade with political opinions, he does dogmatically (hyperbole alert!) stick by them once he does believe in them.
Enjolras-I have him as an INTJ, he is very stoic, doesn't seem to have a social life outside of his revolutionary group, and is assorted with all sorts of ideas and principles. But his charisma...well, it could be just an introversion preference that's not as strong.
Combeferre-agreed
Jehan-INFP, well, how he's introduced in the book practically screams "INFP" to me-the erudition and philosophy, rather melancholic temperament, the "paying as much attention to the clouds as to passing events"...
Feuilly-ENFJ-extroversion is assumed, going on gut feeling + extended world view (N) + "had but one thought, to deliver the world" (NF) + diligent self-education (J)

Mmf, that's so far I had gotten too, at least on the file on which I saved long ago.
Gangstafied!Robespierre: Too funny to resist.
"We deduce from all this a bootylicious truth - that tha characterizzles of popular government is ta be trustful towards tha thugz n severe towards itself."
Revolution With Lace

paging Captain Obvious

Postby LeadenAnchor » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:35 am

Les Misérables really is full of Introverts, isn't it...
You said it, didn't you? "Just do it, kill me"
LeadenAnchor

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Well, we have a saying here that can be translated as: "the boiling happens on the inside"....yep, many of the characters have all kinds of things they'd rather not show to someone/are just naturally modest, thus explaining some of the introvert tendencies. :)
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."
Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:52 pm

Myriel: agreed
Valjean: I go for the ISTP thing
Javert: agreed
Fantine: agreed
Thenardier: agreed
Enjolras: agreed as an ENTJ (I think being an extrovert is more in line with his being a politically-active individual at the head of a group)
Grantaire: ESFP definitely.
Combeferre: INTJ, I think. He's more meticulous than most of his comrades, and tends to analyze and think things through first.
Cosette: ISFP, I should think.
Marius: agreed!
Feuilly: agreed as an ENFJ
Bahorel: ENFP, for some reason.
Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Malade Imaginaire » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:44 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Myriel: agreed
Valjean: I go for the ISTP thing
Javert: agreed
Fantine: agreed
Thenardier: agreed
Enjolras: agreed as an ENTJ (I think being an extrovert is more in line with his being a politically-active individual at the head of a group)
Grantaire: ESFP definitely.
Combeferre: INTJ, I think. He's more meticulous than most of his comrades, and tends to analyze and think things through first.
Cosette: ISFP, I should think.
Marius: agreed!
Feuilly: agreed as an ENFJ
Bahorel: ENFP, for some reason.

For some reason, I see Combeferre as an ENTJ. :c Since he was right alongside Enjolras, be may have bit a little more subdued, but probably not by much. :c

Here's what I'm thinkin':

Enjolras: ENTJ hands down.

Combeferre: ENTJ as well.

Courfeyrac: ESTP. :c

Feuilly: INFP. ("Although they are not detail-oriented individuals, they will cover every possible detail with determination and vigor when working for their "cause"." Poland, anyone?)

Joly: ENFJ. ("ENFJs have a special gift with people, and are basically happy people when they can use that gift to help others.")

Jehan: ISFP. :c Hell, it's even called 'the artist'. D:

Bossuet: ENFP. ("Others may fall into the habit of dropping a project when they become excited about a new possibility, and thus they never achieve the great accomplishments which they are capable of achieving.")

Bahorel: ESTP. ("Blunt, straight-forward risk-takers, they are willing to plunge right into things and get their hands dirty")

Grantaire: ESTP. ("However, the ESTP tends to have their own strong belief in what's right and what's wrong, and will doggedly stick to their principles. The Rules of the Establishment may hold little value to the ESTP, but their own integrity mandates that they will not under any circumstances do something which they feel to be wrong.")

At least that's how my Amis are. XDDDD;
I, I who have nothing; I, I who have no one
Adore you, and want you so
I'm just a no one with nothing to give you, but oh, I love you!

~Feuilly x Joly~
Malade Imaginaire

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:54 pm

I think Gavroche is an ESFP, while Éponine (were she more right in the head maybe) would definitely be an ENFP. That's at least how I prefer to imagine them.
Aurelia Combeferre

Postby artificial-sprite » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:33 am

Myriel - INFJ
Valjean - ISTJ or INFJ
Javert - ESTJ or ISTJ
Fantine - INFP
Thenardier - ESTJ
Enjolras - ISTP
Grantaire - ESTP, slight ESFP
Combeferre - INTP or ISTP
Cosette - INFP
Marius - INFP
Éponine - ESFJ at her best. Does anyone else think she may have a mild case of borderline or histrionic personality disorder? It could account for the "craziness." Although I am so not an expert on how these things develop. By all appearances, she seemed to have been a normal toddler.
Gavroche - ESFP
M. Gillenormand - ISTJ
Courfeyrac - ESTP
Joly - ENFJ
Feuilly - INFP, but he's kind of ISFJ too
Jehan - ISFP or INFP
artificial-sprite

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:27 pm

I think Éponine's personality extremes make her darned hard to profile. I'm sure she's not schizophrenic, though I'm not too clear whether she is supposed to be histrionic, or perhaps just unusually dependent/fixated on things. I wouldn't really consider her bipolar either, as she doesn't seem to have either extremes of severe depression or manic exhiliration.
Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Les Misérables characters and Personality Profiling

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Finally have a better theory of Éponine's craziness.

She could have been suffering from bipolar 2 (depressive episodes present, but "mania" only goes up to hypomania, which is less severe than a true manic episode). She is probably not histrionic, but she may be dependent. And she may have a delusional disorder too, probably borne from her ill health.
Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Marianne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Or she could just be desperate and emotionally unstable due to her crappy life and weird-ass unhealthy upbringing. Add moody adolescence, a first love, lack of social skills, and loopiness from hunger, and I don't think it's necessary to attribute to brain chemistry what can easily be explained by situation.

Just sayin'.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre
Marianne

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Possibly so. But seeing her strange mood swings while talking to Marius in the Gorbeau House and in the Field of the Lark do give me cause to pause.
Aurelia Combeferre

Postby echidna1000 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:43 pm

I strongly disagree with the typing of Thenardier. While Javert would strongly fit the ESTJ model, being an enforcer of the law as something holding intrinsic worth, Thenardier obeys the law and anything else only as far as it will satisfy his self interest and will break it as soon as he can get away with it. This is more a trait of the ENTP than the ESTJ.

The characters of Les Misérables each represent a certain philosophy or ethos on life. While Valjean and Myriel represent the all-giving nature of altruism and Javert the fervour of duty and obedience, Thenardier is the raw brutality of egoism (duty, kindness and other values are mere shows to satisfy his prime goal of survival and success).
echidna1000

Postby silverwhistle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Marianne wrote:Or she could just be desperate and emotionally unstable due to her crappy life and weird-ass unhealthy upbringing. Add moody adolescence, a first love, lack of social skills, and loopiness from hunger, and I don't think it's necessary to attribute to brain chemistry what can easily be explained by situation.
Just sayin'.

I agree with you: hormonal teenager plus serious underlying social problems. Had she lived longer, without any improvement in her circumstances or without a steady relationship to replace her dysfunctional family, she could have tipped later into more serious difficulties, but I don't think she's there yet.
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris
silverwhistle

Next

Return to The Brick