Unnecessary deaths?

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
deHavilland

Re: Unnecessary deaths?

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:30 pm

_23623_ wrote:
ThatInspector wrote:I'm fairly certain there's a movie version that just ends with the Marius/Cosette wedding, and Valjean DOESN'T die...but I can't remember which one...

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Please tell me once you figure it out...I'm intrigued!

The tragic 1998 film ends with Javert's Suicide and Neeson ValNeeson wandering away with a smile, but Cosette and Marius' wedding doesn't feature. (And it's one death in Liam Neeson's long and varied career of them that he somehow manages to escape for no discernible reason.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:50 pm

One could say that death is Valjean's "happily ever after." His task of caring for Cosette has reached its logical conclusion: she's married and has a husband to care for her, and now he gets to cash in his well-earned voucher for One Eternal Reward in the Wild Blue Yonder.

LOL! Well said. :)

Speaking of movies: which filmed version would you say is the MOST complete and has the MOST stuff from the book?

ThatInspector

Postby ThatInspector » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:59 am

I did some research and found that the one I was thinking of was the 1978 TV movie, which ends with the wedding and Valjean living. I haven't seen it, though; I'm just going off of Wikipedia, so I have no idea how accurate that is. But now I'm interested...

Getting back to the idea of him living, I agree that he has to die. It completes his character arc (this coming from someone who hasn't finished the book yet :P).
~~~
No one ever told them that a summer's day can kill...

Lugitum

Postby Lugitum » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:01 pm

That adaptation is the 1978 UK TV movie (aired over two nights).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-VmrMYtUI

It's a great adaptation, so everybody needs to watch it eventually. The DVD is 2 hours long, and the VHS is 2.5 hours long. But I think very few people realize that this adaptation is actually four hours long! I found this out on it's IMDB page by reading the forum and the reviews. I will have to find this adaptation eventually. Over time, more adaptations get released, however I think it's more important that we track down, preserve, remaster, and release older versions so that they don't get overlooked and forgotten. An example is the 1925 France film adaptation. It recently was remastered and shown at film festivals, so expect an eventual Blu-ray release of it.

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:14 pm

I just started watching it - I love that it starts with him actually stealing the bread! Very cool!

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:13 pm

deHavilland wrote:One could say that death is Valjean's "happily ever after." His task of caring for Cosette has reached its logical conclusion: . ...now he gets to cash in his well-earned voucher for One Eternal Reward....

Right. This is how 19th century people thought (a lot of them). Seems like other novels ended this way, or had a major character die; I guess the one most well known was Little Nell from Dickens's Old Curiosity Shop, where the people allegedly greeted the ships carrying the books "Has Litlle Nell died yet?" It was a reward of virtue. "Only the good die young"--well, Jean isn't that young, but his life really started only when he was 46, so he is the equivalent of a lot younger person, even counting his free young years before he was in prison.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “The Brick”