Least Expected Death

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Least Expected Death

Postby freedomlover » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:55 am

Characters you were least expecting to die.

For me it would be:
1) Gavroche
2) Éponine
3) Courfeyrac
4) Enjolras at first-- then after he gave that barricade summit speech and the Le Cabuc issue he pretty much says he is going to die so I was like; "RIP Enjolras..." before it actually even happened.
5) Fantine.... until she got ill.
6) Combeferre
7) One of the other Amis probably should have lived...
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Gervais

Re: Least Expected Death

Postby Gervais » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:20 am

I was kind of expecting everyone to die because of the nickname Everyone Dies: The Musical, so the deaths didn't really surprise me too much. Madame T's caught me off guard, though, because it comes out of nowhere.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:55 am

I was rather nervous, at first, because my cousin had told me that everyone except two people died. Oh, and Thenardier. Therefore, I was frantically wondering the whole time who on earth the two people would be. My first guesses were Valjean and Cosette; however, I hadn't seen the musical before, but I did know vaguely of the existence of the song Empty Chairs at Empty tables; therefore I soon adopted a sneaking suspicion Marius was one of them instead. I knew Éponine died because said cousin had said so by a slip of the tongue, which kind of came as a big surprise to me then (and which prompted the "Well, after all, everyone but two people does!" line), so I'd say that was my biggest surprise-surprise, as I had no idea, and then all of a sudden, "Oh, yeah; it's so sad when she dies." " :shock: " So after that, I figured the last person would probably be Valjean, but then I wasn't sure, because though I didn't want him to die, I didn't think I could take Cosette dying. I knew Les Amis died, but Gavroche's death was a bit of a stunner when I saw the musical for the first time, simply in the sheer disbelief that hit like a ton of battering ram. So Valjean's was probably the most unexpected for me in general, while Éponine's was the biggest surprise as a concept through its randomness, and Gavroche's the biggest while actually experiencing it.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm

I vaguely knew people were supposed to die, but I didn't know who and when.

So when Éponine got shot the first time I watched the 25AC I jumped.
Also, I didn't expect Gavroche to be shot until my friend told me how sad it was supposed to be.
I didn't think the entire Les Amis except for one would die either.

Resident Fennec Fox. Murr!
"Still feeling like Prouvaire. Always feelin' like Prouvaire. I didn't choose the Prouvaire life, the Prouvaire life chos-"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:18 pm

My first time was far too long ago to remember my expectations, but mum has lots of amusing stories about taking school trips to see it on tour, particularly one with them ending up in the front row and a girl actually doing a miniscream/gasp/sob when Gavroche died right in front of her :D That one seems to catch a few people from anecdotal evidence
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 pm

It's hard for me to make a judgement on this. Les Mis has been part of my life for so long that I can't really remember not knowing which characters died.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 pm

It's a difficult one for me because I was told the Les Mis story when I needed to know it, and only watched it later. When I originally heard the story it was confusing to me and none of the characters were relevant or meaningful at that point, so I couldn't have really said.

I'd argue that it's perhaps Gavroche though. His death does make perfect sense, but there's always that sense of shock when any major child character is killed off because of how brutal it can be.

Fantine is probably another one for when someone is watching it. If you have no background on the story then you'll probably not expect the plot to move on so much once it gets to Fantine's part, so you don't expect someone so important to die so early. That's only enhanced if you were introduced through the most recent movie where Fantine is billed as 3rd in the cast and is so prominent in a lot of the trailers.
The law is unjust.

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:50 pm

I'd never expected that Éponine would die. I know the word "expired" is quite clear, but still I had to read the whole scene three times to get it; at first, I found it weird that one can die so easily. Secondly, the version I was reading was terribly abridged, so I had hardly come to know her. I found her too unimportant to die. For me, she was just annoying and crazy, maybe a little in love with Marius, and did not do much. It was after her death I began to like her.
I too had expected at least some of the Amis to live! That shows how little I know about revolutions.

What is surprising is that, from the very beginning, I was 100% sure that Thenardier would die.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:43 am

Madame T. I expected that she'd be so odious as to survive, but that wasn't the case.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:41 am

1) Madame Thenardier. She's like a cockroach and a bull combined, and I just didn't think she would cop it.
2) Javert. I was watching the movie and was like "oh my God Javert's on the edge is he going to jump? Nah." And then: "THERE IS NO WAY TO GO OOOOOOOON" "Yep, he jumped."
3) Valjean. "YOU'RE THE MAIN CHARACTER YOU CAN'T DIE" I whispered into my friend Melissa's ear as tears streamed down my face. She elbowed me in the ribs and hissed at me to shut up. Thanks, Melissa. Glad you've got my back.

For everyone else, I saw it coming.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

TheHistoryNerd

Postby TheHistoryNerd » Sun May 05, 2013 10:26 pm

My first exposure to Les Misérables was the 2012 movie, and prior to that I had only the most basic knowledge of the plot (I thought it was about a man who stole bread... that's it and have have sense read the brick). I was so engrossed in the movie I actually shrieked at the death of Gavroche. Gavroche and Valjean' s deaths were the most unexpected for me. In the brick probably Madame Thenardier, just because it came out of nowhere.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 pm

TheHistoryNerd wrote:My first exposure to Les Misérables was the 2012 movie, and prior to that I had only the most basic knowledge of the plot (I thought it was about a man who stole bread... that's it and have have sense read the brick). I was so engrossed in the movie I actually shrieked at the death of Gavroche. Gavroche and Valjean' s deaths were the most unexpected for me. In the brick probably Madame Thenardier, just because it came out of nowhere.

Heya, welcome to Abaisse! :) Care to start a thread in the Introductions forum so we can all welcome you properly? :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

meow139

Postby meow139 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Oh my supreme being, for me I would have to narrow it down to three.

1.) Madame T. How can anyone kill this lady? Seriously, I thought that book!Madame T could literally be used as a human barricade. Then she dies, just like that, and I'm totally confused. What could kill her? Oh, she just got sick.

2.) Javert. I was first introduced through the movie, so I was watching Crowe walk back and forth. "Is he gonna jump? No, no, he can't. Or... Wait. I he- no, he's not jump- Oh, there he goes. Ouch."

3.) Every single Ami- besides Enjolras. That one was sort of a given, but all of them? Really Hugo, rip our hearts out, huh?
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:32 pm

I 'll choose 3 as well

1. Gavroche. I thought surely they are not going to kill off this kid. How old is he? Nine or ten? I was in years when he was shot down.

2. Javert-- I was watching the musical with a friend and she told me that he was going to kill himself. I thought she was joking--- and then he jumps.

3. Éponine --- I really thought she was going to be found alive after the barricade fell.

I'd all like to add that I was shocked that Marius was the only survivor out of the Amis. I wanted Enjolras to survive but his death was really not a shocker. I think Victor Hugo should have spared a couple more of the Barricade Boys.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Chantefleurie

Postby Chantefleurie » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Mme Thenardier. Definitely. It seemed that throughout the book that lot would either find an escape hole or have some good luck fall on them. It seemed like they could go on forever, always finding new dishonest ways of getting money, always earning new levels of my contempt. But good luck runs out for the cheaters as well. It was surprising, given the Thenardier's agility and survival skills before that, but philosophically satisfying. It makes a lot of sense. And after reading about Mme T's death, I stopped being so spiteful about the T's. They aren't some antibiotic-resistant pests, they are just dirt. Still deserve to be looked down upon, but not to be taken seriously. They aren't ever-lucky immortal devils, they are just humans who make a pitiful performance of being evil
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “The Brick”