Least Expected Death

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
CC21106

Re: Least Expected Death

Postby CC21106 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Gervais wrote: Madame T's caught me off guard, though, because it comes out of nowhere.

Exactly.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:26 am

The first time around with the book it was definitely Javert. I expected some kind of showdown, I think (been decades now).
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:02 pm

I read the brick after watching the musical so I did have some idea when and how someone's going to die, but still...

Thenardier. I was totally surprised. Guess literally everyone here was. :mrgreen:

The *way* Fantine died surprised me...in a good way I guess. I felt very sad for her death in the musical and honestly didn't think it can be any sadder, but it did turn out to be more tragic in the book. I was so shocked when she realized that her daughter wasn't here and that Valjean was a "bad guy". At that moment all her hopes and illusions were shattered. It is the only event in the whole book that makes me hate Javert. I. Can't. Forgive. Him. Here.

The *way* Mabeuf died was unexpected for me as well. Now I still think his death is a bit rushed and unrealistic. I have the feeling that he died that way because Hugo was running out of excuses for people to die.

And I thought Enjolras was going to spare that guy when someone said something like he can be your brother...but he shot him. That kind of surprised me too.

Honestly, I don't like book Enjolras very much partly due to the death of Mabeuf and that guy...*hurriedly hides from Enjy fans*
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:13 am

But Mabeuf's death did spare him being turned out on the the street to die of exposure in some gutter. Maybe unconsciously he knew that.

Return to “The Brick”