So, Let’s Talk About Translations

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
deHavilland

Re: So, Let’s Talk About Translations

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:22 am

(Please, you can call me Havvy. :D )

Ah, I understand. The reason it's harder to find the FM online is because that particular translation is still technically held under copyright. You can definitely purchase online eBook versions of it for a kobo or to read on a phone or laptop, but I haven't encountered any freely posted ones in my internet travels.

There is one here at the OpenLibrary, which is quite easy to use. You just make an account and then "sign the book out," and you can read it on your phone or laptop. Probably on a kindle or a kobo, but as I don't own either I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:33 am

You are wonderful, Havvy!
It suddenly occurs to me that I can search in my university library. I can't believe I completely forgot about it yesterday. If I can't find any ebook there I'll register at OpenLibrary. Thank you for the link!
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Wilbour's out of copyright so it ought to be on the Internet but I can't find it. There are parts at archive.org, but it doesn't seem to be all of it unless I've missed something. Both Hapgood (which I read) and Wraxall are available through Project Gutenberg and Hapgood is available free on Kindle.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Texchanchan wrote:Wilbour's out of copyright so it ought to be on the Internet but I can't find it. There are parts at archive.org, but it doesn't seem to be all of it unless I've missed something. Both Hapgood (which I read) and Wraxall are available through Project Gutenberg and Hapgood is available free on Kindle.

I've linked where you can read the Wilbour online -- including the missing part -- in my original post at the beginning of this thread, as well as Hapgood and Wraxall (and Richmond and original French).
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:01 pm

deHavilland wrote:I've linked where you can read the Wilbour online -- including the missing part -- in my original post at the beginning of this thread, as well as Hapgood and Wraxall (and Richmond and original French).

Thank you! I will look at it and probably read the whole thing... again... Thanks very much.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:45 am

Has anyone read the (I guess not that new anymore) translation by Donougher? Is it any good?

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:20 pm

I've somehow still not got round to reading it! Still on my bookcase :(
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Does anyone know which translation this edition uses?
Hardcover.jpg
Hardcover.jpg (27.53 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

It's a huge hardcover copy with gold embossing and costs £25 in the bookshop (slightly cheaper on book depository).
It's shrink-wrapped though so I can't check who the the translator is.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Hmm.....I can't say I know for sure, but Google Images seems to think it's the Barnes & Noble Classics edition, and I've never known them to use anything other than public domain translations. (Which is slightly infuriating, but eh, that's a rant for another day). My best guess is Wilbour, because that's what they use for their paperback classics copy. I've seen them use Hapgood for hardcover editions of Les Mis before, however, so there's definitely a chance you'd get that as well.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 pm

YoungStudentMarius wrote:Hmm.....I can't say I know for sure, but Google Images seems to think it's the Barnes & Noble Classics edition, and I've never known them to use anything other than public domain translations. (Which is slightly infuriating, but eh, that's a rant for another day). My best guess is Wilbour, because that's what they use for their paperback classics copy. I've seen them use Hapgood for hardcover editions of Les Mis before, however, so there's definitely a chance you'd get that as well.

That site has a picture of the text and I could read "Cosette had permission to pass an hour with him every day", which comes straight from the Hapgood translation. Most version of the Hapgood translation is missing the Cambronne section.

Terra-of-Roshar

Postby Terra-of-Roshar » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:00 am

Does anyone know where I can order a physical (preferably paperback) copy of the Wilbour? The only versions I seem to find are the Fahnestock, the Rose, or various abridged versions. I'm in the US if that makes a difference.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:33 am

Modern Library's edition pre-Rose was Wilbour. If you go on eBay and put in "Les Misérables Wilbour," a bunch of those copies turn up for relatively cheap. (Green cover, photo of Victor Hugo on the front.)

Return to “The Brick”