Lee's Miserable Translation and Confederate Brick Reading

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Maria Combeferre

Re: Lee's Miserable Translation and Confederate Brick Reading

Postby Maria Combeferre » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:19 pm

Intrsesting idea. I would like to imagine her going for something like Prouvaires poem and then on throught the barricade chapters. Those chapters would however be the single most provocative part to choose that night, so no. I can definetly se her read something that would reflect their feeling of persecution and oppresion, but the barricade would be pushing things. What we do know is that it probably focuses on Valjean, since the text says something about Scarlet not being in the mood to care about the story of some escaped convict. So probably pre-Marius?
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Chantefleurie

Re: Lee's Miserable Translation and Confederate Brick Reading

Postby Chantefleurie » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:16 pm

If I were to pick a passage, it would probably be Valjean rescuing Cosette from the Thenardiers. Or possibly their escape from Javert. I feel like it's something that would sound innocent enough, but at the same time be subtly provocative but hope-inspiring.

Or maybe even one of the completely early chapters - Valjean with Myriel, or just afterwards.
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “The Brick”