Least favorite character?

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Least favorite character?

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:40 am

Tholomyes is just a class A jerk for me. Thenardier is sheer evil.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 am

YoungStudentMarius wrote:I thought about Theodule, Gervais, and then I kind of thought, "You're just so stupid and annoying and vain that it's almost funny! Which means I can't hate you."

Heh. Yep, pretty much. Also, I kind of respected the fact that he didn't rat out Marius after he discovered what he was up to in going to visit his father's grave - Theodule could've told his aunt and gotten even more goodwill out of her, but as it turned out there was at least some sort of honour in him when it came to respecting the dead (even though it was described as a "disagreeable sensation which he was incapable of analyzing", heh).

Tholomyés is a good shout, though. There's pretty much nothing redeemable about him - the Thenardiérs are at least interesting characters, but he doesn't even have that for me.

between4walls wrote:I hate the Senator whom the Bishop meets, for being a straw-man atheist. That's just lazy writing on Hugo's part. He's my least favorite in terms of being the worst written.

Yeah. At first when he showed up I was like, 'Hey, atheists represent!' And then it became more, 'Uh, not someone you want to be associated with.'

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:59 pm

macaron wrote:
between4walls wrote:I hate the Senator whom the Bishop meets, for being a straw-man atheist. That's just lazy writing on Hugo's part. He's my least favorite in terms of being the worst written.

Yeah. At first when he showed up I was like, 'Hey, atheists represent!' And then it became more, 'Uh, not someone you want to be associated with.'

Two of the three main characters in Hugo's Ninety-Three are, if not outright atheists, at least highly skeptical about religion, and way better written than this. (They're both quite ethically dubious, but still awesome.) What's fun is one of them is extremely devout and intolerant of any challenge to the church, and we don't find out until nearly the end, in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it that he's "a skeptic at heart." So that's the book for "atheists (or at least skeptics) represent!" (Okay, I just recommend Ninety-Three on the slightest pretext, because I love it.)

Well, there's G here, but then it's clarified that he's definitely not an atheist, so...
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm

between4walls wrote:Two of the three main characters in Hugo's Ninety-Three are, if not outright atheists, at least highly skeptical about religion, and way better written than this. (They're both quite ethically dubious, but still awesome.) What's fun is one of them is extremely devout and intolerant of any challenge to the church, and we don't find out until nearly the end, in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it that he's "a skeptic at heart." So that's the book for "atheists (or at least skeptics) represent!" (Okay, I just recommend Ninety-Three on the slightest pretext, because I love it.)

Well, there's G here, but then it's clarified that he's definitely not an atheist, so...

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

G... Do you mean Grantaire? If so, I've never noticed it being clarified he's definitely not an atheist. Interesting! I always thought it was left to the reader's imagination.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:47 pm

No, I meant G the conventionnel. Having taken part in the revolution, G is widely assumed by the townspeople and the Bishop to be an atheist, but at the end of their conversation he reveals that he does have a belief in God, albeit an unconventional one.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:57 pm

*snort* Apparently my mind is so focussed on Grantaire that he's the first thing that comes to mind even when I last read the part about the bishop and the conventionnel a mere couple of days ago. For some reason it slipped my mind that he was referred to as G. But yes, you're right about that.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Some good shouts here.

I agree on Thomlomyes. Again he serves his purpose just as Thenardier does, so he's not there for long enough to appreciate, leading to him being the sort who you want to hate.

Bamatabois too. He was very good in the 25th anniversary as well. As a sidenote, Cameron Blakely who plays him is/was Thenardier on the West End and is excellent at the part.
The law is unjust.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:05 pm

It was interesting, wasn't it that he got a bow at the concert? Though he was very very good in the part. Average Thenardier I'd say. Speaking of Thenardiers in minor roles, I preferred Stephen Tate, who then popped up as Fauchlevent in the movie! Took me ages to realise that :D.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:49 pm

I've always thought Grantaire was a nihilist (or whatever it is called) which is "I don't believe in anything." Although at the end obviously he did find a belief ;)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:15 am

Yeah, Tholmyes and his pals...even Thernardier is more of a sympathetic character than them.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:58 am

Toss-up between Bamatabois and Tholomyes. For obvious reasons.

One treats Fantine like a play-toy, and the other one is an a**hole of the highest order.
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:19 am

I wonder if the real question on Bambi is if he did it again. I mean, Fantine fought back and drew blood. He might not have messed with the whores again. Which would mean he was capable of learning a lesson even if he'd never admit it anyone.

I picture Tholomyès doing the exact same thing to another chick, because he had no negative consequences to learn from. I pity every maid who ever entered his household, as I can picture every one of them a possible future victim, strung along with promise of support that she ends up tricked out of and stuck with his bastard that he refuses to acknowledge. Tholomyès doesn't strike me as a man who is interested in keeping up his side of marital fidelity, so the question is more if he's so cheap that he'll just stick with the maids in his own house, or if he'll go to the expense of keeping a mistress outside the house. He got away clean with this one, so you know he'll try it again and again. And that willful destruction, compared to Bambi's teasing (he called her names and put snow down her back - it just happened to be the thing that got her to snap), is everything.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 am

Point taken. Tholomyes' behavior was actually even condoned by some of his peers so there is no question that he would at least be inclined to similar behavior in the future.

Bamatabois was more of having the wrong sort of fun---being juvenile, really.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:32 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Point taken. Tholomyes' behavior was actually even condoned by some of his peers so there is no question that he would at least be inclined to similar behavior in the future.
Well, there's that cut scene of him actually getting married, but even then you could speculate if there were any between Fantine and his wife. Unless it was his peers saying the equivalent of "Ha...oh, crap" that convinced him to actually get married to the next girl, which is sort of what you said, Aurelia.

Even if Bamatabois did keep going to the whores (which I kind of see, actually--he comes across as a hard-headed to me for some reason) I doubt he'd treat them as badly because of his scratches from Fantine, and maybe a hint of "This smart old guy everyone likes just proved me wrong" mentality that I could see him having.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:34 am

I see Tholomyes as cheating on the side even then. Marriage would be no guarantee of fidelity in the case of a guy like him.

Return to “The Brick”