Least favorite character?

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Least favorite character?

Postby freedomlover » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:20 pm

For me it would be Thernardier (that would be obvious ;) ), I don't like Grantaire or Bahorel either though....
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Re: Least favorite character?

Postby Acaila » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 pm

I don't know if there's a character I really actively dislike. All of them can be cool or at least interesting if played well, and mostly if I show dislike for one, it's a reaction to a bad performance or being overrated by fandom at one point.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:48 pm

I wouldn't say there's any major ones I dislike. The book is great because of the different characters who can all be appreciated in one way or another.

I'm not particularly a fan of the Thenardier's and I do dislike them, but that's what makes them good characters for me. You're not supposed to like them anyway, so I'd say that while they're arguably my least favourite characters, I appreciate them a lot more than I do some others if that makes sense.
The law is unjust.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Yeah, I totally hear you on that EJV :) And even though MotH and BatF are bits of the show that don't really do much for me now, they're the characters that everyone *loves* early on. Watching the 58 movie the other night, I actually liked Thenardier more than a lot of the other characters!
Most of the other ones I can think of are just ones that people seem to project their own ideas on to, which is hardly the characters' fault, or Hugo's.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:54 pm

They are all beautifully written, and the characterization is marvelous. I'm talking about characters that I cannot relate to and therefore cannot understand ;) (I can't really understand Javert's motivations either...)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah, I think the awesomeness of Hugo is that I can understand every character who has a major role, and many many beyond that. Even if I can't sympathise with some of them, I can sort of empathise with them to a point. I think that all encompassing awesomeness is what makes it such a great book <3
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Acaila wrote:Yeah, I totally hear you on that EJV :) And even though MotH and BatF are bits of the show that don't really do much for me now, they're the characters that everyone *loves* early on. Watching the 58 movie the other night, I actually liked Thenardier more than a lot of the other characters!
Most of the other ones I can think of are just ones that people seem to project their own ideas on to, which is hardly the characters' fault, or Hugo's.

I love watching MOTH personally since our school's was brilliant and one of our better scenes, although it's not one that I'm overly bothered when it comes to listening. I think some dislike them more in the book because there's that lack of a comical aspect to make them more entertaining. Thenardier as a person would have acted in a sly way that perhaps made him quite comical to be around if you weren't naive, however he's not really shown from that comical angle in the book.
The law is unjust.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Yes, it's definitely an adaptation thing.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 am

I hate the Senator whom the Bishop meets, for being a straw-man atheist. That's just lazy writing on Hugo's part. He's my least favorite in terms of being the worst written.

Least favorite as a person is probably Tholomyes. He leaves his own child with no support, and while breaking up with Fantine isn't inherently wrong, the "practical joke" aspect is just cruel. And he's so conceited, despite not being an especially impressive person. Thenardier is actually fun to read about, whereas Tholomyes just makes my skin crawl.

Mme Victurnien and her busybodiness is also infuriating.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:54 am

between4walls wrote:Least favorite as a person is probably Tholomyes. He leaves his own child with no support, and while breaking up with Fantine isn't inherently wrong, the "practical joke" aspect is just cruel. And he's so conceited, despite not being an especially impressive person. Thenardier is actually fun to read about, whereas Tholomyes just makes my skin crawl.

Funny you should mention this; when I first read the question, I stopped and went through all the characters in my head, and he was the only one I stopped at and said, "Yeah, I hate him." :evil: I like all of them simply for being well-done, and Thenardier, you know, for serving his purpose, which I suppose Tholomyes does, too, but...yeah, I think Tholomyes is the only one I feel comfortable saying I actually close to hate.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Jean Gringoire

Postby Jean Gringoire » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:00 am

A tie between Tholomyes and Bamatabois. Thenardier at least is fun to hate.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:03 am

YoungStudentMarius wrote:
between4walls wrote:Least favorite as a person is probably Tholomyes. He leaves his own child with no support, and while breaking up with Fantine isn't inherently wrong, the "practical joke" aspect is just cruel. And he's so conceited, despite not being an especially impressive person. Thenardier is actually fun to read about, whereas Tholomyes just makes my skin crawl.

Funny you should mention this; when I first read the question, I stopped and went through all the characters in my head, and he was the only one I stopped at and said, "Yeah, I hate him." :evil: I like all of them simply for being well-done, and Thenardier, you know, for serving his purpose, which I suppose Tholomyes does, too, but...yeah, I think Tholomyes is the only one I feel comfortable saying I actually close to hate.

I think I agree. That's not a joke, Tholomyes, that's cruelty and Just Wrong. :evil: Theodule was going to be my choice, but he is annoying, not necessarily hurting anyone. The Thernardiers are basically roaches; annoying and always there. But as figures, they serve a good purpose, and if it weren't for them we wouldn't have the "Do you like my hat" scene, would we? :wink: Honestly, although Bomatabois is cruel, his one scene isn't enough for me to hate him.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:17 am

I thought about Theodule, Gervais, and then I kind of thought, "You're just so stupid and annoying and vain that it's almost funny! Which means I can't hate you." I'll let M. Gillenormand do that. :wink: And I can credit him with the dubious honor of making me laugh for a full minute upon reading parts again and noticing it's insinuated he wore a corset. Which, yes, I know, was very common for men of the time, but I couldn't help but laugh.
Bamatabois is probably the only other one I'm close to hating, but even he's not as bad as Tholomyes, because he's an all-around jerk, whereas Thomolyes toyed with Fantine instead of blatantly abusing her.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:31 am

Theodule makes me laugh.
And I like Bamatabois in the 25th concert, despite him being a total dick.
So yeah, Tholomyes is probably a good call.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:05 am

I do not like Thomolyes and Bamatabois either :'( Thernardier is fun to hate ;)

At least Grantaire at the end joins the revolution... sort of :P alright, just for Enjolras...

Return to “The Brick”