Least favorite character?

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Re: Least favorite character?

Postby CeridwenLynne » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:38 pm

The Thenardiers. I don't like them at all in the book. They have no good qualities whatsoever and I see them as the real villains in the story [b]not[b] Javert. It sometimes bothers me to hear Javert named as a bad guy. He's the antagonist to Valjean but he is not evil like the Thenardiers.

In the movie/ musical the Thenardiers are still the bad guys but Master of The House does provide a bit of comedic fun to an otherwise dark story. :wink:
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Chantefleurie

Postby Chantefleurie » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:03 pm

In terms of personality/character: Tholomyes. Definitely.

In terms of reading about them: surprisingly, Marius after he falls in love. Before that, I really enjoyed his chapters. But after - just didn't look forward to reading them anymore.
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:07 pm

I go with the majority and name Tholomyes. He thought up the grim practical joke and then goes on without a bit of remorse to become some kind of successful bureaucrat, no doubt treating many other people the same way throughout his career. If he doesn't destroy anybody else to the extent he destroys Fantine, it's just luck. I think he obeys his parents and leaves Paris because of the main chance, not because he has any respect for them.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:15 pm

I'd say Tholomyes too. I think he's the only character in the book that has absolutely no redeeming quality. The Thenardiers are evil. They make money by cheating, abuse little Cosette and abandon their own children, but at least Mme. T loves her own daughters and probably being evil is the only conceivable way to make a living for them. (Just to clarify I'm not defending the Thenardiers. They *are* evil but of a different kind). Same with Patron Minette. They commit all kinds of crimes, but it's possible that they really have no other ways to survive. But Tholomyes is just an irresponsible flirt. He has no excuses to treat Fantine as a whore. I think he's the real intrinsically evil character. :evil:
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “The Brick”