Characters when they were younger

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
meow139

Re: Characters when they were younger

Postby meow139 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 pm

I'm back, with more baby!Amis!

Jehan- This one I find really interesting, because it took a lot of thinking to figure him out. He isn't the most simple character to begin with, and writing him can be a real challenge at times- but figuring out why he's like that- ugh. Anyway, right from the start Jean didn't have a very easy life. First of all, everyone thought that he was going to be a girl. Even his mother swore by it, and when he was born he was a bit of a disappointment. He was christened Jean Marie Prouvaire, after his mother- Marie-France Prouvaire. His mother was always very frail, and after his birth she grew very ill and did not recover for a long time- almost a year. Jean was, of course, shipped off to a nurse when he was young- this proved to be a great mistake. His mother had grown quite attached to her son, and when he left her health declined even more. All it took was the consumption...

After his mother's death, Jean's father was relatively broken. Although he never told his son, Monsieur Prouvaire could not help but place a bit of the blame on him for his mother's death- if she hadn't been so weak from his birth, she may have survived. Still, the father and son were very close as the boy was growing up- Jean was always a bit pampered by his father, to the point that his father insisted upon renting a small house for him when he went to Paris to study at the age of fifteen.

It started on his third birthday, and continued every night. Little Jean would see a tall, blonde, almost angelic figure appear in his room each night. She would sit beside his bed and stare at him- sometimes she would touch his face, and her touch would be no more than the feeling of a cool breeze. However, the child was never afraid- her presence was calming, and he knew that she posed no threat to him. Perhaps he recognized her as his mother.

The visits stopped after the child was sent back home, but they always haunted him. He never forgot the beautiful blonde woman who would watch over him, and eventually he began to ponder why. Why was his mother dead? Why had she once been able to visit him? What would she think of him now? What became of her after her death? Was she happy? What was there after death?

The boy was always dreamy, always pondering life, questioning everything. He was lonely- he had no siblings, very few friends, and was teased often by other children for his soft-spokeness. He was a very polite child, and was always reading everything. If he hadn't had rather understanding tutors, who knows what would have become of him?

As he grew older, he came to truly appreciate his fortune in life- and as such, he grew horrified by the struggles of the people around him. What made him better than everyone else, and, as such, what could he do to help others less privileged that he?

He enrolled in the university at the age of fifteen- the school made an exception for him, considering he was a bit of a child prodigy- then with five languages under his belt. (Futher persuasion included no small amount of bribes for Monsieur Prouvaire.) Upon arriving in Paris he fell in with the Amis right away- he was picked up by Courfeyrac much in the fashion of Marius, except with less "oh, you're homeless, come live with me," and more "oh, you're lost, come have lunch with me." Except he actually worked out, and became a closely integrated member of the Amis inner circle in no time, after proving himself to be trustworthy. And the rest... is history. or, should I say "A Group Which Almost Became Historic"?

And, you know, I'm gonna leave it at that for today, because that's almost a full biography. I'm sorry guys, I've just put an obscene amount of thought into Jehan's childhood.
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Combeferre. I think that as a child he was studious and never had to be reminded to do his assignments. If he had a private tutor he was likely a dream pupil and never pitched a fit about having to read a book. He probably got so engrossed in reading a book that he wouldn't hear it when his parents called him the first time---kind of like the little girl Brigitta in the Sound of Music. If he went to a school he would have likely been the nerdy kid who always made the highest grades and yet was well liked by most of his classmates. I can picture him being teased by some people on account of his intelligence and gentle nature.

Enjolras. I think that he probably got into trouble with the school authorities a lot. I don't see him being an especially bad child but one who liked to defy authority and didn't study hard unless it were something like political theory or history. I don't see him as a great student but one who didn't care and thus made average grades. I can also see him as the kid who was very popular but stood up for the kids who were being bullied. Had he and Combeferre gone to the same school I can picture young Enjy standing up to an older child who had been bullying Ferre.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Hope_ForTheJust

Postby Hope_ForTheJust » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:08 am

Meow, that is lovely. I think I may just adopt the headcanon as, at the very least, a ttemplate for my own... I like the idea of Courfeyrac being the one to pull him into the group, perhaps because those two are my favorites and I think they must have the most colorful conversations, in part because it reminds me a bit of myself and my best friend...
Anyhow, I just thought you made a really delightful picture, so I wanted to say so.
"To shame the guise o' the world, I will begin
The fashion: Less without, and more within."
-Posthumus Leonatus, Cymbeline

Return to “The Brick”