Marius Pontmercy and the Monomyth

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Gervais

Re: Marius Pontmercy and the Monomyth

Postby Gervais » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:25 pm

*bows*

I also found this, if anyone wants a quick intro to Monomyth: http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/5145 ... ppet-style
Though the puppets are a bit disturbing.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 am

It's certainly funny, though, and actually pretty good. :lol: Though I'm with you on that count.

So, I was in a bookstore a while ago, and found this. I only barely got to scan it briefly, but it looks really, really cool, and even though I think the archetypes are supposed to be for real life, more identifying roles and personalities of the people around you, it would definitely be worth looking into, I think, as the list is a lot more extensive than most of the other literary ones we find. It has a really cool section of cards you can tear out, too, with the name of the archetype and a brief description, and some colorful artwork, that is, if you buy the hard copy. But I'll definitely be spending some time in the store with this one, and there's at least snippets you can read online.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:56 am

It's shiny. :mrgreen:

*reads official description* Marius, I think we're both going into the wrong fields. What we need to do is advertising. We're getting enough info for it And also, apparently we're strategists if we're reading that--just read the subtitle--so that Risk game is now officially Going to Happen. *nod* :wink: Thanks for the link, though; I might have to look for this in the bookstore now. :mrgreen:

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:37 pm

True, maybe...maybe that could be true. Though you and I in advertising would be quite a pair. :lol: And hooray for the Risk game! :mrgreen: And sure; I'll probably flip through it next time I walk over, too, and I'll see if I can tell you what I find.

All right, so I ran into a really cool (monomyth, actually; yay, relevance! :wink: ) quote, and I thought it needed a little more discussion:
Joseph Campbell wrote:A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.

By that definition, I think that nearly everyone in Les Mis, or at least, you know, the majority of main characters, would be considered heroes, actually, which is something really interesting to look at, even if they don't each go on their individual, perfectly-structured Journeys.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:02 pm

I'm still in the preface. :oops: Had to finish a library book first, see.

I wonder how many characters actually would fit the Hero's Journey. Just for fun, I was going to try Fantine, but I didn't know whether her Normal would be before or after meeting Tholomyes, and really, I don't think she'd have most of it.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Me, too, actually. :oops: I really just came across the quote randomly, in someone's slide show. So we're even. :wink:

Yeah, I think parts of Fantine could work, but the majority of it probably wouldn't. Though yes, let's go through the others and figure them out! :mrgreen: One person who works pretty darn well, though I don't think anyone fits as well as Marius, is Valjean. :mrgreen: Separation from the family at a young age, and then the Bishop is his mentor, and the candlesticks are the talisman, and lots more fits, too.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't we know enough about them to know. I'm sure Enjolras had a journey, but we don't know enough to know for sure.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:15 pm

*sigh of relief* Whoo. :D Though even the preface is good stuff.

Rachel wrote:I don't we know enough about them to know. I'm sure Enjolras had a journey, but we don't know enough to know for sure.

That's good to keep in mind when you're thinking about a character's backstory for fic or even just a headcanon, really. It would be easy to say "Oh, X always did Y, it's just how he is" but using at least parts of the monomyth put into his backstory would help make him just...more believable, to be honest, which is part of the point of archetypes I guess.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Speaking of Marius, I saw a good tumblr post explaining why his politics are less contradictory than they appear at first glance.

Important bits:

"The thing is, Marius’s identification of Napoleon with the Revolution and therefore with the Republic is not particularly contradictory, especially not when you think about it from the point of view of one of Napoleon’s soldiers...This is especially true because of the relative continuity of conscription, and the identification of people who were called up by those continual drafts with those involved in the levee en masse....The association of Waterloo and the Hundred Days with the levee en masse does not just exist in Hugo – Hugo was only employing a well recognized kinship. That association existed in radical republican, Bounapartist, and right wing rhetoric, with different glosses depending on the perspective of the rhetorician. Marius would probably have encountered it even before he began his reading binge, in the same way he would have encountered the image of Napoleon as tyrant. That image is as much or more a far right wing one as it is a left wing one, and for Marius to accept his father, he would have to reject it, and the image of the levee en masse as a horrible amorphous mass, distorted and degenerate. "
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Gervais wrote:*bows*

I also found this, if anyone wants a quick intro to Monomyth: http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/5145 ... ppet-style
Though the puppets are a bit disturbing.

Had never heard of Monomyth before so thanks. The first thing that comes to mind though is Luke Skywalker.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Skywalker is a pretty famously clearcut example, but it crops up everywhere and in everything.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Everything from Harry Potter to Hercules, right?

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:02 am

Rachel wrote:Everything from Harry Potter to Hercules, right?

Yep. The point of identifying archetypes. :mrgreen:

Ooh, I've seen that post, b4w, and like it a lot, especially since I didn't quite understand how he fit as any sort of republican. :D

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:30 am

Exactly, yes, pretty much everything. :mrgreen: Which is why I now have a slight obsession with it. Hercules for certain; it was the myths that started most of it, in a sense, and yes, Skywalker for sure, and I love Star Wars for it. It's so clearcut, it's hardly even funny, with even things like the Visit to Death, and all. But that's another story, sorry.

And thank you, b4w; that's really interesting, and helps to understand it much better. :D

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Rachel wrote:I don't we know enough about them to know. I'm sure Enjolras had a journey, but we don't know enough to know for sure.

Just for the sake of keeping everything together, Mlle Patria's study of Enjolras as a Christ-figure: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2669

Return to “The Brick”