A very important question.

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
Marianne

A very important question.

Postby Marianne » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:15 am

Now, for the first thread in the novel section, we obviously need a grave discussion of great importance to the fandom. As such, I feel the need to bring up a very serious debate that has lurked implicitly in the dynamics of a great percentage of Les Misérables fan fiction writers' interactions--both through their work and through their metatextual discussions. The argument may be fierce, even brutal at times, but I think that on such a solemn subject all opinions need to be brought out into the open:

Enjolras--top or bottom?
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Best. Discussion. Ever.

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:20 am

Bottom, of course.

*dodges carbine bullets from Enjy-figment*

:twisted: :D
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:24 am

Top! Top! Top!

:lol:
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

Danica Enjolras

Postby Danica Enjolras » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:54 am

I think it all depends on who he's with, Grantaire, top, obviously, but if he was with, say, Bahorel, bottom, definitely. :twisted:

regularvoltaire

Postby regularvoltaire » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:51 pm

Switch.
Last edited by regularvoltaire on Sat May 26, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:44 am

Thank heavens for this thread. Pondering this very topic kept me occupied at work today. :D

I still say bottom. :twisted:
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:32 am

MmeJavert wrote:Thank heavens for this thread. Pondering this very topic kept me occupied at work today. :D

I still say bottom. :twisted:

I suppose he could work as a really dominant, pushy bottom... but I'm still inclined to say top. And just to make ol' Vicky spin in his grave even further, I present "on your knees!" as canon evidence.

Of course, the real answer is probably "Whichever he feels like, and [insert partner here, no pun intended] has no say in the matter."

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:14 am

Well, I suppose I should clarify: the one of my E!figments I use the most often is undeniably a bottom.

Of the other four, one switches, one tops, and the other two don't have sex. I.e., are canon. XD

But am I really the only person who sees it this way: E/R with bottom!Enjy? It works for me. (but then I have *cough* unique characterisations of Enjolras and Grantaire, so, uh, that might help a little.)
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

sansculotte

Postby sansculotte » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:53 pm

Sometimes the most dominant people seek in bedroom some relax and let their partners to take initative. So, whenever I imagine E/R or E/Combeferre, he's bottom. However, imagine him paired with Marius. There he MUST be top.

Assuming, I think he switches, being mostly a dominant bottom. He probably wouldn't like monotony in bed.
If you give no limits to liberty, you'll soon get rid of equality and if you want to keep perfect equality, liberty will disappear faster than you think. The point is then to choose one of the two.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:52 pm

sansculotte wrote:Sometimes the most dominant people seek in bedroom some relax and let their partners to take initative.

That's pretty much my default Enjy figment, really. XD
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

brittlesmile

Postby brittlesmile » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:00 am

Bottom. I think that the only way I can see Enjolras having sex is as a way to escape the Revolution. He'd want to release the control he has in his real life for a lack of control in his fantacy life.
"Détruire les abus, cela ne suffit pas; il faut modifier les moeurs. Le moulin n'y est plus, le vent y est encore."

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:06 am

A-ha! A kindred spirit. :D I feel the same way.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:07 am

Yes, but one must keep in mind that this all took place in the early/mid 19th century, when there would have been a much stronger association between bottoming, submission, and femininity. I doubt his Enjolraic Dignity would let him stand being penetrated.

That, and I don't see him wanting to take a break from leadership. This is a man whose ideals and drive permeate every aspect of his being; why would he give up an active role just because there's hot sweaty mansex involved?

If anything, he'd just start a crusade against the implicit Law Of Slash that the pretty one has to be on bottom. :lol: Injustice is injustice, after all!

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:12 am

Nooo, not to have a break from being a leader.

My Enjy figment says -- he's still glaring at me, mind you -- that it's got nothing to do with submission, that he LIKES being on the bottom. And he is secure enough in his masculinity not to care. After all, it's not like most of the outside world gets to peer in his bedroom.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:17 am

Ah, see, mine is a bit more of a normal 19th-century boy in that he is most definitely not secure enough in his masculinity to bottom without feeling effeminate.

Combeferre, on the other hand, is a bit more liberated on that count. :twisted:

Return to “The Brick”