Which character would you most like to have sex with?

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.

So, who'd be in your bed?

Javert
7%
Enjolras
27%
Courfeyrac
11%
Combeferre
21%
Prouvaire
5%
Éponine
6%
Cosette
2%
Fantine
No votes
Marius
6%
Someone you forgot!
15%

Total votes: 135

Marianne

Re: Which character would you most like to have sex with?

Postby Marianne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:37 am

Well, extrapolating from what Hugo said about how Courfeyrac was basically Tholomyès only not an asshole... the central reason why Tholomyès is an asshole is because he got his girlfriend knocked up and left her in the lurch. So one assumes Courfeyrac would differ on that essential point. Contraception in the 1830s was not widely available; I'm guessing that if he'd gotten a girl pregnant he would've done the decent thing and provided for her and the kid even if/when the relationship ended. And if contraception had been around I bet he would've used it, as much to avoid that particular awkward situation (and drain on the finances) as for the girl's sake.

A modern-day Courfeyrac I'm not so sure about, because an unintended pregnancy isn't as much of an unmitigated disaster now as it was in the 19th century. And he is a bit of an obnoxious bastard. But given what character he's being compared to, I can't imagine that if push came to shove he'd be a total asshole in this of all matters.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

The Victoriana

Postby The Victoriana » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:11 am

Yes, I agree. He would try to use whatever was available. Also, given that an unwanted pregnancy was a huge disaster for poor unmarried women, both socially and financially, abortion was either nonexistent or extremely dangerous, and that childbirth itself could carry significant risk of death back then, he would have to be either a gigantic asshole or a complete ignoramus to not bother at all, and Courfeyrac was probably neither.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:09 am

I did tackle the subject of Courfeyrac becoming a parent in a certain fic of mine. And I'd have to concur: even if the love affair didn't work out, he'd have the decency/chivalry to at least provide for his own child.

I imagine Courfeyrac would only be careless about protection if he was maybe blind drunk. Otherwise someone with his reputed experience would have been more prudent. Hey if even Giacomo Casanova could do it...
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 am

From personal experience (and having had a bottle of French sparkling and a bit of Absolut vodka by this point on a Friday evening), I can say that I've known modern day Courfeyracs...and in the throws of passion (unplanned for) they will resort to withdrawl...not the most effective method of contraception, but better than just letting things...um...ride. BUT...given sobriety and planning, they will check on such matters as whether their partner is on the pill and will wear a prophylactic. I'm fortunate never to have encountered a modern Tholomyès in such matters...or rather, I've recognised them and avoided them.

Even after a one night stand (or, for want of a better term, a series of one-night stands in an intermittent sequence over an extended period of time), your true Courfeyrac will take certain cues such as "I had a health scare" dropped into a conversation as a direct reference to reproductive issues, and will conduct delicate inquiries accordingly without asking blunt questions out of a genuine concern for your welfare rather than self-interest.

I won't divulge how much of this post is personal experience for fear of startling the horses. But I will say, the distinction between a Courfeyrac and a Tholomyès is clear to me, whatever their superficial resemblances.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

RoseDesEnfers

Postby RoseDesEnfers » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:58 pm

I love the Combeferre love! It makes me very happy. Even if I think he was completely in love with Enjolras deep down he'd be my top choice.

On the topic of contraception, I read in one of my many Miz-related books (if anyone wants an actual reference I'll try and figure out which one it's from) that "pulling out" was the most common form of contraception used in Paris among the bohemians/eccentrics/working classes around that time. I'm sure there were other forms, but assuming that was the main kind I can't imagine Courfeyrac not using it (er, doing it?) unless he was, as mentioned, super drunk.

The Victoriana

Postby The Victoriana » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:33 am

I would be interested in the reference if you could find it. From my random accumulated knowledge from 19th century literature, I agree that withdrawal (coitus interruptus) was indeed the most common and widespread form of contraception in England, France, Germany, etc. Condoms made of sheep-gut were available in some places, but not easily accessible or widespread, especially for the working classes. Also, there was apparently some social stigma regarding use of condoms for men - it was considered somewhat demeaning to have to use it, and usually, the responsibility for preventing conception rested with women (especially for prostitutes). For women, there was douching and the sponge (less common), neither of which was really effective. Usually then, when conception occurred, herbs (usually dangerous and not very effective) were used for abortion.

RoseDesEnfers

Postby RoseDesEnfers » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 pm

It's not in the books I have at home with me, so once I get back to school (Sunday) I'll try and find it for you :)

RoseDesEnfers

Postby RoseDesEnfers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:22 pm

I didn't forget, promise, but I am embarrassing number of books to go through and I haven't found it yet.

The Victoriana

Postby The Victoriana » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 am

That's ok. No pressure. :)

RoseDesEnfers

Postby RoseDesEnfers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:57 pm

FOUND IT :) In one of the last books I expected it to be in (but of course!)

(A lot of talk on how the Church was no longer as strong in the middle classes)
"On a more intimate level,more middle-class families began to practice some form of birth control, usually coitus interruptus, brutally referred to as 'dry copulation' by laymen and, more ornately, as 'the detestable sin of Onan' by men of the Church. Men and particularly women who resorted to such methods feared to go to confession (or concealed their sin from the priest) and, having failed to obtain absolution, were consequently not in the state of grace necessary to take even their once-a-year Easter Communion."
From Burton's Blood in the City: Violence and Revelation in Paris, 1789-1945

The Victoriana

Postby The Victoriana » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

Thank you! The book sounds interesting and I might look it up for research. Thanks for going to the trouble of finding it. :)

carotid

Postby carotid » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:56 am

Very much after the fact, but I just had to cast my vote in this most important of polls. It took a great deal of hard thought, but in the end, I went with Combeferre.

I'm afraid that I felt terribly guilty about even considering Cosette, the only one of the ladies who was a contender for me. Which left me with only gentlemen, meaning that we were going for the either the novelty factor or some other aspect besides the sex itself. It was mainly between Combeferre and Enjolras, the former probably providing a very agreeable evening due to similar temperaments and the latter being, I must confess, more an object of curiosity and a notch in the bedpost when serving in this capacity. Combeferre seemed to be the better of the choices, all things considered. Besides, a scholar, scientist and feminist like that? He might not be Courfeyrac, but I don't doubt that he'd know what he was doing!
Look, Louis-Philippe, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but the Republic had the best French government of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Floreal

Postby Floreal » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:34 am

Fantine...I could wear my shoes. No, just kidding! I choose Jehan a couple months ago...I don't know why at the time. I think it was because he had just gotten killed during my read-through, and I felt sorry for him. Looking back, that probably wasn't the best of reasons to choose him. ;)
Sir, the type of women currently favored in France are toothless crones who just cackle insanely.

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:36 am

When dealing with a book like Les Mis, /never/ make those sort of choices based on who dies. ;D
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Mlle Patria

Postby Mlle Patria » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 am

Definitely Jehan just because I love him! That was quite specific and well thought out, wasn't it? :lol:

Anyway, I suppose it's because he's so sweet and kind. Hugo used the words such as "gentle" and "sweet" to describe him, yet he also has his manly moments.
Vive la France! Vive l'avenir!

Return to “The Brick”