Out with it: What don't you like?

Any questions about this forum should be asked here.
MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Out with it: What don't you like?

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Admit it. There's something about this board that you don't like.

I want more forum skins.
The header is butt ugly.
There aren't enough boards for me to play in.
I want to have user rankings and pre-loaded icons available!
Shiny forum extras!
On other forums you can celebrate people's birthdays!

Etc. Go on, have at it, I won't be offended. Although I WILL tell you the reasons for some of them and why they can/can't/won't happen.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Admit it. There's something about this board that you don't like.

You know, there really isn't. :) I don't want more forum skins, I love the header, and think it is simple yet elegant, there are enough boards, user ranking are unnecessary, so are pre-loaded icons, I can't think of any forum extras I would want, and I haven't noticed we were forbidden from celebrating people's birthdays? I figured we could make a thread on the off-topic section.

You have one satisfied customer at least. :)

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:53 pm

I've been trying to think of something, and the only thing is I have trouble seeing the scroll bar fellow over there on the right. But I really like the colour scheme, so I just deal with. I agree with Ulkis.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:05 am

Ulkis wrote:I haven't noticed we were forbidden from celebrating people's birthdays?

Oh no, not forbidden. ;) On a bunch of forums it will ask you for your birthday on your profile and then announce at the bottom of the page (where it shows who's browsing and how many posts we have) who is having a birthday today. I always meant to put that in and never really... did.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:41 am

I'm new here, but already this place is looking pretty perfect. I don't see anything I don't like. That's probably not very helpful to you, but I really appreciate everything about this site so far.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:41 am

Ooooo....I'll have to be another non-helpful "but I love it!!!"

In terms of the mechanics of the board, I really can't think of anything that jars. And I love the folks, so I'm a fluffy bit of useless in terms of constructive criticism!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:34 am

I was going to state that I did not like that whenever one writes 'Éponine' on this forum, it comes out, well, 'Éponine', with the acute accent, because I learnt that it is not customary (much less mandatory) in French to use accents on capital letters, but I checked Wikipedia to be sure and apparently that was misinformation, so ... no complaints! Since I am literally not a member of any other forum on the whole wide internet, I don't know what one would expect there to be or not be, but this one seems to be well-equipped in all desirable areas.

(As concerns the header, is it carved from marble or clouds or ...? Not that either were even remotely inappropriate!)

Charlette-Ollie

Postby Charlette-Ollie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:14 pm

I know I'm not a great person to be saying this, but I think that the quality of a forum is entirely dependent on the people who post.

I like the way Abaisse is nice and simple. I've been part of a number of forums in the past (small ones like this, not like MdN, etc.) and it can get really confusing with dozens of fancy names for the individual boards, which often overlap topic-wise and are filled with n00bs (this was back in the day when n00b was a commonly used word, heh).

Cary

Postby Cary » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:56 pm

This isn't a complaint, but it's interesting how, when I log in, the textured Abaissé header disappears, and is replaced by simple bold text, and a large phpbb logo. It might have something to do with the fact that I use the Silver/Blue theme, rather than the default dark blue one. It's not something that smacks you right in the face, though; in fact, I didn't even notice the change until Frédérique asked about whether the header texture was clouds or marbles. :lol:

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:32 pm

No, it's true. The textured header is only a part of the default dark skin. I haven't figured out a way to make custom elements appear on all skins, and you wouldn't want to anyway because skins can be so different -- the header has a background to match the default skin, not an invisible back, as the text would look bad with an invisible background. I left the default subSilver in case of people not wanting light text on a dark background. The header and some of the buttons (create new topic, reply, quote, etc.) are all customised in the Les Mis font in the default dark skin.

It's a Photoshop filter, Frédérique, called "craquelure". :lol: I played around with the Photoshop filters and decided I liked it because i thought it looked kind of like it was written on the side of an old building or something.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Lara

Postby Lara » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:16 pm

One thing, but this might just be my internet or computer. Even though I mark the box to keep me logged in all the time, I sometimes still get logged out. I'm not sure that's the fault of the site, and it's not even terribly painful to relog in.

So, yeah. That was me making an excuse to write something instead of saying that the forum is just perfect. Because it practically is.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 am

Lara, I'm pretty sure it depends on whatever browser you use, because when I'm on Internet Explorer it works fine, but it does what you said when I'm on the AOL browser. And of course, that's not the fault of this fine site but the damn AOL browser. :)

Return to “Questions and Answers”