Forum Improvements Poll #2: Donors and Extras.

Any questions about this forum should be asked here.

Should people get extra goodies for donating to forum hosting costs?

Yes.
27%
No.
18%
You fucking cheapskate, pay for your own website.
No votes
Maybe, it depends on how it's implemented.
55%

Total votes: 11

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Forum Improvements Poll #2: Donors and Extras.

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:25 pm

This one I'm slightly less certain about, so I'm going to put it tentatively out there. Before I do, I'm going to emphasise that this one is purely optional and will never, ever, EVER be a required part of participation.

To keep life matters out of this as much as possible, I recently learned that there's a 50% chance I'm going to lose my job next month. I am not pleased with this, but doing stuff to (hopefully) deal with it properly.

This forum exists on webspace I pay for. Approximately $135/year, give or take. I'm not trying to make you all feel guilty, because I wouldn't waste the time and money if I didn't REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do it. I also tend to, when I'm not feeling in the most generous of moods, to take the attitude of "if I don't like it it doesn't belong on my forum; and since I pay for it and do all the work, my word is law." Which it technically IS, but if I acted more dictatorial you'd all leave, and that's no fun. Also, I have two domain names as well as unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth included in that fee, and I don't JUST use it for Abaissé. However, because I haven't had the inclination to do my personal web projects, Abaissé IS now the primary reason I pay for it.

Therefore, said idea:
Should anyone feel particularly generous as to donating a few dollars to the forum -- even $1! -- they would be rewarded with a special ranking regular members can't otherwise attain, possibly a fic or an avatar or something that I made, AND their own website at the-barricade.net, which is where Abaissé will also be living (eventually. uh.).

Is this a bad idea? I don't WANT you all to think that you have to help contribute to the costs to participate, because you don't. If nobody does this, then I keep on paying for it regardless. It's just that for me, I'll feel way more guilty about being a totalitarian dictator and avoid the "my way or the highway" mode more easily, knowing that it's not just MY forum anymore.

I'm not sure this came out coherently. So. Do you like this idea and would like it implemented, whether you participate or not?
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:33 am

I never really thought it would be necessary to... flaunt?... having helped out financially on our user information or anything, but the idea of all of us getting pages under the same domain name makes me squee a little bit. If you decide to do that I am so putting up that argot site I'd been toying with.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:48 am

Well, the idea came from the NaNoWriMo site, I confess -- you get a halo on your username + cool stuff if you give them money. XD I have unlimited domain space and bandwidth and I think unlimited subdomains, so why not share the wealth?
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Charmer.of.the.shadows

Postby Charmer.of.the.shadows » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:53 am

I agree with looney that having users flaunt that they donated isn't... necessary. I feel something like that can only lead to elitism. And I'm pretty sure most of us would glady give to keep our faverite forum running with little or no other incentive.
(Though if you give me a couple pages, I won't argue with you ;) )

Have you considered selling advertising space? Some webmasters tend to go overboard with it and ruin their site, but you seem like you can show some restraint. A banner or two at the bottom of the page won't kill us.

The motto for your donation program should totally be something like... WWJVJD? Or "Be valjean Like" or some other rip off of a Christian saying subbing Jesus with Jean Valjean.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:00 am

Adspace is really only worthwhile if the users of the website click the links. I have a Google Adsense account which hasn't generated a cent for me yet because the pages it adorns are so rarely visited. You guys would have to view AND click on the links to make me any money. Which would make the ads both annoying and pointless. (Plus? They'd all be ads to buy Les Mis merchandise/tickets.)

I don't want it to be a whole "program" or "make Abaissé pay for itself" scheme because it's not really--necessary, so to speak. 161 total members with less than half of them even partly active? It's not actually a large community that would generate banner revenues. You'd all have to promise to click on an ad everytime you came for that to make a difference.

Hence the incentives-for-donations. Webspace is probably the better option anyway, I just don't always see things in the "elitism" spectrum to know it when I see it.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Sure, why not? I think Loony's idea sounds good.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:52 am

Don't need to have any designated contributer status...but I'm happy to kick in some funds to keep this fantastic forum chugging along :) just let me know where to send the money.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Charlette-Ollie

Postby Charlette-Ollie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:59 pm

I, too, wanted to mention that I'm more than happy to support the forum financially, and I don't think a special ranking would change much. Individual subdomains is a nice idea, though probably not for me personally.

bigR

Postby bigR » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:50 pm

I've not been around much lately, but I agree with those who said that no public "reward"? is needed. We all want to keep the forum running, after all.
IL N' Y A QUE LE RIDICULE QUI TUE

a_marguerite

Postby a_marguerite » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:49 am

Oh, eeek. I'm so sorry Mme Javert. D:

I agree with Loony, too. Domain names and stuff would be fun but I don't think anything else is necessary. Is there a place/ method set up where we can donate?

sophiedegrouchy

Postby sophiedegrouchy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:33 pm

The idea of people getting a bit of webspace for donating is very appealing, not just because it's a nice (but not too obvious) thank you, but also because it could motivate us to actually create some new websites. I remember that it was very depressing when I was first trying to explore the fandom and almost all the links were to dead or neglected Yahoo pages.

Return to “Questions and Answers”