Forum Improvements Poll #1: Rankings & Karma Points

Any questions about this forum should be asked here.

Should the new Abaissé have forum rankings and karma points?

Yes.
75%
No.
17%
Maybe, but not like you've suggested -- I have a better idea.
8%
That's stupid; why did you even ask? Don't waste your time.
No votes

Total votes: 12

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Forum Improvements Poll #1: Rankings & Karma Points

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:15 pm

Many of you may remember that I'd said about doing some technical maintenance to the forum. Uh. Yeah. About that. Technically said maintenance can be done automatically, but my webhost is so configured as to prevent this, so I have to do it manually. Meaning it'll take a long while in which the forum might be down for as long as a week, depending on whether something gets fubared along the way and I need to make (long excruciating) conversations with various support personnel. :p

But! Part of the maintenance won't be painful and tedious and take aeons to do; part of it involves changing the forum itself.

This is the first in a series of polls that I intend to do, to see whether there should be any changes made. Please do me the favour of explaining your answer because you can vote: "NO" but it won't do me any good if I don't know "why". ;)

This poll deals with some of the capabilities embedded in phpBB (and some that can be modded in if done correctly) that I have been kinda-sorta wanting to implement: rankings and karma points. The latter is a mod called currency -- basically, taking part in various actions around the board earn you points, the more you have the more you earn towards a more prestigious ranking. Some of you might've been on the old Café Frenchboys at frenchboys.net -- where you earned the rank of Revolutionary after you've posted 500 times or so. This is like that, only slightly more complicated. You would, say, earn 2 points for posting a new thread in a discussion board, but 0 points for posting on a game thread. (No, it's not fair for someone who has 6000 posts, 5000 of them OT, to have a higher forum ranking than someone who mostly contributes to discussion threads. This is why I'm implementing the points + ranking system)

Y/N? Suggestions for rankings and points required are welcome.

(You can not vote twice unless you have two user accounts, which isn't currently permissible under the forum rules, and you can not, unfortunately, change your vote if you change your mind.)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Am not sure whether my vote went through, but YES to the points for discussion but not for game posts.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:28 am

I think you mentioned this over the summer and I am still impressed that you would take the time to set such a thing up. It still sounds like a great idea to me.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:52 am

It's an automated process -- it's not a standard phpBB feature, but it is a mod: copy code, go into the admin panel and set the parameters, and it should work indefinitely. This isn't as much a time investment as it is a question of is this practical OR necessary. I think I can figure out how to make the mod work with prior testing, but compared to the ACTUAL work of the move, the rankings and karma points are relatively simple and quick to do. XD
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Cary

Postby Cary » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:35 am

For what it's worth, I've seen prestige systems do more harm than good. In particular, the large forum I've been active in for the past few years consisted of a primarily male population, with - unfortunately - under 17-year-olds running rampage, some of whom so coveted the "Custom Title" privilege at 4,000 posts that we were regularly inundated with spam, and every now and then whole chunks of it would have to be excised so that conversations could still flow. That said, however, this seems to be a largely female base, so you'll probably have far less to worry about. (I'm still trying to get used to how *tame* and orderly this place is).

Used right, though, a ranking system *would* encourage member participation on the board. Would it be possible to have a "scoring" system where you earn points only if your posts are a certain length? I'm not talking about essay-length posts, but something like "10 words or more" would help separate any potential spam from real content. (At the very least, single-word comments like "Yay!" probably shouldn't earn points, LOL).

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:09 am

I don't think it's possible to enforce a minimum character/word limit on posts automatically. What I want to do is make it tiered: the highest number of points goes towards new posts in the discussion and fan art/fanfiction boards, middle points for some of the other boards (like musical, movies, and Intros), 0 points for the OT garbage boards. People found spamming for postcount and points will have their points removed + a penalty. I don't want to set up a system that requires me to babysit it, but then this board doesn't often need babysitting.

I don't really want to allow a custom rank to be the "ultimate" goal for points, and I think not having a "if you get 5,000 points then you can get _X_" goal will remove some of the postcount inflation, but I don't know until I try it out. My experience with this has been on pixel-doll forums, where various posts earn you currency where you could "buy" pixelated art graphics from other forum denizens. This system obviously is not going to work here. Haha. But I have found that it's slightly more fun to post in forums when there's some sort of recognition for the more active and contributory members.

It probably isn't even necessary on a board like this, but there's a part of me that wants to help get back the other 90 or so members who stopped coming to the board for whatever reason, and making the place more "interesting" would be a good start. There are lots and lots of capabilities that can be added to and tweaked on the forum software, if only they can be used right.

This is why Admin makes polls to find out what people like. :) Also Admin is pathologically indecisive, ha.

edited for clarity, in case you saw the earlier incoherent version.
Last edited by MmeJavert on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:12 am

I feel like the people here actually do know who posts worthwhile stuff and who doesn't, so a ranking-type system would really only serve to help new people understand who... deserves the most respect? Maybe I should word that as "whose intelligence is the most trustworthy." I know they've got something a bit like it at MdN (which unfortunately counts all posts the same) and I immediately tend to expect more coherent answers from people with more... stars, or whatever.

I guess it would also work when trustworthy people who have disappeared for a long time suddenly re-emerge. Anyone who joined during their hiatus would know they had a respectable history at l'Abaissé. Or something.

(I'm all for the system, by the way.)

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:31 pm

It honestly doesn't matter to me. Go for it, if you want. And people seem to be leaning towards yes. I do like that if you're gonna do it it's based on what you contribute. I have been on Television Without Pity for almost 10 years now and I cannot tell you the irritation factor when some newbie acts like I just got there because I don't have 10 billion posts and they do cause they posted in Lost's forums survivor thread.

Postby 9430 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:01 am

I'm not sure whether it would be of so much use in a smaller community like this except as a help to newbies, and even then it might not be all that useful. Newbies can probably gather from reading old threads who posts insightful comments etc.

On the other hand, we probably wouldn't lose anything by having a ranking system, so I definitely don't have anything concrete against it.
aka Fiwen

Lara

Postby Lara » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:20 pm

I voted 'yes' but I'm pretty indifferent about this. I've seen ranking systems motivate people to be more active but I have also seen them fuel spam, like Cary was saying. I don't think that spam would be much of a problem on a forum like this, so my indifference is actually leaning on positive.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Re: Forum Improvements Poll #1: Rankings & Karma Points

Postby freedomlover » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:17 pm

I know one political forum had cool rankings like "for 10 posts you are a mayor, or 100 posts a congressman, for 1000 posts a senator..."

It would be really cool is abaisse had something similar :)

Maybe;
0-10 posts In the Shipyard
10-50 posts at the factory
50-100

(Alright, somebody more creative than I should do this ;) )
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:01 pm

I like the idea of rankings based on post count but I am not a fan of karma points. I was on another forum that had karma points and all it did was encourage people to hit someone that didn't agree them with a negative karma point rather than enter into an intelligent discussion.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:43 pm

I doubt this is really still under consideration but hey ho...

Karma/currency invariably all ends in tears, however it is implemented.

As far as post count rankings go, I'm not really in favour of them for Abaisse specifically, because this has always been a forum of quality over quantity. I don't really think someone who posts nonstop in the game threads or indeed who posts a lot but rarely about Les Mis should be ranked above someone who contributes more rarely, but when they do, they come out with great answers to questions, interesting information and rare insights. Beyond having forums where post count is turned off, anything further is complicated and I'm unconvinced that it adds anything much that is worth the hassle.

I think it's a small enough place here compared to most forums where these things are useful that you learn pretty quickly what the people are like and who makes a habit of contributing well.

So I'm very much of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

Besides, we're a Les Mis forum! Surely we of all people can recognise that rank has little to do with worth. ;)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Questions and Answers”