Why?

Any questions about this forum should be asked here.
MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Why?

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:14 am

Okay, folks, that's it. I want to know.

Why do you come to Abaissé? What is it about this forum that keeps you coming back?

Because right now, your lovely Admin isn't seeing too much reason to keep coming back. Partially due to her own depression and partially because she's not entirely fond of what's been going on here lately. And no, this does not necessarily mean she dislikes any specific members here. Oh, and no, Admin will never publicly admit to disliking any of the forum members because that is completely déclassée and also it is really bad form for any forum admin to badmouth her members.

Freddie, the reason you're still Admin is because you're probably going to stay that way until/unless you get sick of Abaissé yourself; I don't care enough about this place to keep approving members, haha, and I thank you again for your dedication to spambot slaughter.

So anyway. What do you like about this forum? I really wanna know.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:31 am

I like this forum because I frankly get really embarrassed every time I bring up Les Misérables in everyday life, mainly because I don't really like to let my obsession show. I reference it and think about it so much that it's actually a little bit disturbing, and so few people that I know in person actually like it. I also think that some of the people are quite nice and, there is some riotously funny stuff on here. It's a great and comprehensive site, definitely the best Les Misérables site I've run across.

I can tell I'm one of the reasons why you're irritated, and there's no need to be polite about it. I'm very young and extremely new to the fandom (just read the book in November) and am not on precisely as high a plane of thought as most of the members, as well as frequently disagreeing with most of the members of this site on most counts, like which characters and actors I like.

If I were a grown-up, deep-thinking, long-term member of the fandom, I'd probably be more than a little annoyed about an uninformed superficial teenaged fangirl spamming up the boards with her juvenile squealing as well, and I don't mean this in a sarcastic or rude way at all. I'll try to be more mature in the future, if that changes anything.

I hope your situation improves soon, and I hope you're all right. I remember not more than a few weeks ago, you assured us that you wouldn't delete the site, so I'm guessing something majorly bad has happened. :(
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:53 am

Uh-oh, is it maturity you're after? I can reform, I promise!

I come back mostly because no one in "real" life will let me babble on and on about various movie versions of LM or different actors from the revival... or whatever it is we're chattering about at the moment. In fact, if I want to mention some random idea I had, like, "Gee, I sure like femmeslash today!", I would have to ramble on and on about all of the female characters in LM (wouldn't take that long, tragically) before I can start to explain how much trouble it is to slash any of them except Éponine and Cosette, which has already more or less been done by others...

See? Not to mention most of the people I know in "real" life would start to edge away the moment they heard a word associated with LM coming out of my mouth...

And the reason I keep coming back to Abaisse as well as MdN is because this board actually seems relatively protected from Eppieboppers, who keep slipping into MdN screaming, "OMG DID U NO LEE SLAOHNGA WAS MULAN 1 TIME AND MARIOUS TOTES SHUD HAV MARYED EPO9!!!!1!!eleventy!" Everyone here is really cool. There's not one person here who bothers me, whereas at MdN... eh, moving on.

So, basically... I love this place because, even though I've only been here for about a month, I already feel like it's a wonderful place to pose random questions and post flail-y ramblings about the new LM film I just saw. And talk to people who are on the same level as... uhh... awesome... as me.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:19 am

Schmerg_The_Impaler wrote:I can tell I'm one of the reasons why you're irritated, and there's no need to be polite about it. I'm very young and extremely

Please do NOT assume anything is about you. That's a terribly self-centred view of this whole post and I meant it when I said it has nothing to do with any one particular member, and that does include you. If I had a active problem with you I would tell you. I never said I disliked you, either.

No, nothing majorly bad has happened, I'm just depressed, and I'm not going to be so petty and passive-aggressive as to delete a forum I put so much work into during a fit of melancholy.

lesmisloony wrote:And the reason I keep coming back to Abaisse as well as MdN is because this board actually seems relatively protected from Eppieboppers, who keep slipping into MdN screaming, "OMG DID U NO LEE SLAOHNGA WAS MULAN 1 TIME AND MARIOUS TOTES SHUD HAV MARYED EPO9!!!!1!!eleventy!"

The first person who does that is baninated faster than they can say OMGZ I HATE COSETTE. :lol:
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:55 am

Have a hug. *huggles*

No problem about slaughtering spambots, you put so much work into this site that I really feel it's only fair if someone takes over that bothersome bit. I go on a killing spree every time I come here (which is every one or two days, usually), so it's not that much to do at once.
Besides, it's probably a healthy outlet for my agrression. :wink:

My reason to come here is simply to discuss Les Mis and related things with entertaining people, and I like you guys (with very few exceptions, as you all know). :)

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:03 pm

I come back here very often for the things I am apt to learn here regarding LM, musicals, French history and culture, and even about the world scene in general.

This forum is a place where I can befriend and communicate with like-minded people--as the LM fanbase is relatively small where I am.

Here is one of the places online where I can have an intelligent discussion.

And here is where I have made a few friends as well.

I hope you'll feel better MmeJavert. :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:27 pm

I wandered in because I was looking for a nice Les Miz forum that was not all ZOMG i want to ply Éponine cuz i so ttly reelate to her cuz the boy i <3 <3 <3 lieks some1 else so i am going 2 audition 2 play Ponine on Bradoway.

And I stayed to torment Freddie.

Arduenna

Postby Arduenna » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I come back here because this site is like a breath of fresh air for me. It's like a little oasis of intellect and reason in a vast desert of idocy. It has lovely people and great conversation, which is often very educational.

Also, it's the only outlet I have for my Les Mis obsession. None of my friends are interested in it, so I don't want to bore them by going on about it.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon, MmeJavert.

Enjolras For President

Postby Enjolras For President » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Alright, I realise that I'm pretty new (ie. brand new) to this site, but it is just such a relief to know that other people actually care about Les Mis. I can just tell that my friends are so sick of my constantly spouting quotes, referencing everything back to Les Mis, or running into class going "I just Six-Degrees-of-Seperation-ed *insert actor's name here* back to Les Mis!!!"

So this site is really incredible! And PLEASE keep it going!

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:34 pm

MllePaula wrote:And I stayed to torment Freddie.

I love you too, Paula. :D

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

rugby24601

Postby rugby24601 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:34 am

I come back because I find you lot quite nice company and I quite enjoy reading friendly banter.
RUCK WITH ME AND DIE!

Real Barricade Boys play rugby!

brittlesmile

Postby brittlesmile » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:32 am

I hope you're able to work through your malaise (I realize it's probably too passive a word for what you're going through, but it just sounds so dang cool).

I haven't been coming as much of late, but the reason I stay is because there is, by and large, intelligent and interesting discussion of Les Mis here by people who I generally really like. I think that, as a whole, the people here are pretty cool and able to give eloquent discussions on the book and behave civilly towards each other. Also, it keeps my ego in check to stop by here and see everyone being so much smarter than me. :wink:
"Détruire les abus, cela ne suffit pas; il faut modifier les moeurs. Le moulin n'y est plus, le vent y est encore."

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:48 pm

Because I adore the people, the discussion, and everything. Coolest place on the internet. *nods*
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Arduenna

Postby Arduenna » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:22 pm

SylvieProuvaire1832 wrote:Because I adore the people, the discussion, and everything. Coolest place on the internet. *nods*

Agreed. :D

Mademoiselle Lanoire

Postby Mademoiselle Lanoire » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:19 pm

Because I like the discussion! When comparing it other places (LJ and MDN), I feel it's more relaxed, probably due to being a smaller site. I feel like I don't have to self-censor as much, among other things.

Return to “Questions and Answers”