The Brick???

Any questions about this forum should be asked here.
Je suis obsédé 24601

The Brick???

Postby Je suis obsédé 24601 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:59 am

Ok so I know that it is really good, and everything. but I have ABSOLUTELY no idea of how to even start reading it? :oops:
Rory listen she's not dead. *Actually* she is dead. But its not the end of the world. Well it is the end of the world. Actually its the end of the universe.

Sweet surrender, what a night!

Gervais

Re: The Brick???

Postby Gervais » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Are you having a problem getting through the Bishop part? If that's it, you really could skip to the chapter called “THE EVENING OF A DAY OF WALKING” or something similar (depends on translation); that's where Valjean is introduced. You would miss most of the Bishop's stuff, but sometimes it helps to skip the rambles and then read them after.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Je suis obsédé 24601

Postby Je suis obsédé 24601 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:36 am

Thanks for the tip! :D
Rory listen she's not dead. *Actually* she is dead. But its not the end of the world. Well it is the end of the world. Actually its the end of the universe.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:30 am

And you can always go back and read that section in pieces, or later, like Gervais said. In fact, I'd definitely suggest it at some point. And the tangents get much easier as you go along, and then you kind of find yourself strangely not wanting to miss any of it, and it doesn't look nearly so hard then. Good luck!
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Je suis obsédé 24601

Postby Je suis obsédé 24601 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 am

Thanks, YoungStudentMarius! I am going to start reading it soon. :D

welch

Postby welch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:25 pm

I would only suggest getting a translation based on the first English translation, the one by a freind of Hugo. There is an modern version based on that one...it has no pictures, but it reads like a Victorian novel...and Hugo was a Victorian-era writer.

The Bishop section clarifies quite a bit of what happens later, so it's worth skimmin deeply enough to understand the Bishop.

I skipped a bit of the description of the Paris sewers, but read enough to imagine that I could see and smell them.

Otherwise, just start. By the time you meet Valjean, you'll be well and truly hooked on The Brick. Then, when you see the show or its movie, you will mentally fill in the parts they had to cut but that the original french audiences knew by heart.

Just checked: I like the Lee Fahnestock, Norman MacAfee and Chris Bohjalian trans;lation, a Signet Classic. I wish it had had pictures, but it seems the best.

Je suis obsédé 24601

Postby Je suis obsédé 24601 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:28 am

Thanks welch! I just downloaded it on my ARCHOS. Like, a book reading app. But thanks for the tip :D

Return to “Questions and Answers”