Les Mis readthrough on the board?

Any questions about this forum should be asked here.

Readthrough: will you join us?

Yes, I'd love to!
56%
Yes, but I might be quiet or behind in most discussion.
32%
I'm not sure yet.
4%
No, I won't have time to read Les Mis much.
No votes
No, I'm not interested at all in a group read-through
4%
Maybe, depending on how the readthrough is structured.
4%
Something else which I will post about in the thread.
No votes

Total votes: 25

Hannah

Re: Les Mis readthrough on the board?

Postby Hannah » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:30 am

Does occasionally popping my head up like a meerkat and saying some sort of vaguely humorous non sequitur and/or making an unnecessary observation about something trivial count as "participating in a discussion"

Just curious

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:11 pm

I voted "yes, but I'll probably be quiet" just because Real Life is somewhat hectic and my participation in discussions will likely be erratic. But I'd definitely be up for a readthrough!

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:52 am

In bullets:

- Longer timeframe is preferred on my end just because I am juggling jobs, job search, and social life.
- Weekly posts would be best to keep up momentum without going too fast.
- A thread per book would probably be easiest to contain the discussion and make it easier to find bits later.
- I would be willing to throw in the footnotes from the Bouquins edition but I cannot guarantee immediate translation (it may some weeks come down to "I can type it up or I can translate it but I cannot do both immediately").
- If we are going slowly, my intent is to attempt this in French; if we go more quickly, I will default to English.

In short, I'm in, but the extent may be determined by external forces.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm liking the "one thread per book" idea more and more. There are 48 books (and 365 chapters), so it would average out to about one book/thread a week anyway. Obviously there would be longer and shorter ones--Javert Derailed is only one chapter long, whereas The Wicked Poor and War Between Four Walls are each going to take upwards of three weeks. But it averages out to about one week per book.

BTW, I assume we are not going to have a standard translation for this? Because I think several people are going to be attempting it in French, some are probably going to use it as an excuse to go through Julie Rose, long passages will probably be quoted from Hapgood because it's the only one that's widely available to be copy/pasted online, and that's not even touching the perennial Wilbour vs. Fahnestock/Macafee debate.

I like the idea of the mods just starting the threads and letting the discussion take form on its own. I'm sure the participants will not have any shortage of questions or discussion points, so there's not much use trying to lead people around like middle-schoolers.

Another feature of having people follow along in French: clarification of weird phrases/chapter titles! Most of them are untranslateable puns and plays on sound. Like "For a Dark Chase, a Silent Hound," which is "À chasse noire, meute muette" (playing off meute, pack of hunting dogs, and muet(te), mute or silent). Or "The Peephole of Providence," since the French word for peephole is 'judas,' so it's actually "Le Judas de la Providence." Or "Buvard bavard," subject of innumerable frustrated attempts to make an English pun about a talkative blotter.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:03 pm

BTW, I assume we are not going to have a standard translation for this? Because I think several people are going to be attempting it in French, some are probably going to use it as an excuse to go through Julie Rose, long passages will probably be quoted from Hapgood because it's the only one that's widely available to be copy/pasted online, and that's not even touching the perennial Wilbour vs. Fahnestock/Macafee debate.

It'll be crazy, but fun.

I like the idea of the mods just starting the threads and letting the discussion take form on its own. I'm sure the participants will not have any shortage of questions or discussion points, so there's not much use trying to lead people around like middle-schoolers.

I'm fine with either way. Questions can be good for prodding discussion of course but they might also make people feel like they have to take the conversation in a certain direction, so I dunno. I think officially I vote no questions.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:48 pm

I assume we are not going to have a standard translation for this?

No. I'm sure there's a variety of different translations. Besides, forcing someone to read in French and/or a certain English translation might limit those people who have difficulty reading in either language, and I don't think it would be fair to exclude anyone who may feel more comfortable reading in their native language, or a language other than French/English. Although I think it might be a nice idea for the mods in charge of doing the thread-starts to name the title of their book in French in addition to what it's called in their translation. Wilbour calls it "The Noxious Poor" and Julie Rose calls it "The Bad Pauper" and they are both the same book, "Le Mauvais Pauvre". This way any number of translations can hopefully be accommodated for -- so anyone who may be reading in something other than French/English would have a baseline to look up the chapter more quickly. (I couldn't FIND that book immediately in Julie Rose because "The Bad Pauper" was just so far out of the realm of what I was used to seeing it called; I'm sure anyone using other translations that are not French or non-standard in some way might have similar issues.)

I think we've settled on having one thread for each book. Any discussion questions that may pop up are of course not mandatory to answer. I'm sure some people might like to offer up discussion questions just to see, for example, how different translations render certain characters and events, or how other people found the descriptions of the places/people/events in the book, etc. But I don't think there should be any required parts of discussion. Whatever you want to say, goes.

And you don't have to limit your discussion of the book to the days/weeks in which the reading is scheduled to occur, either. The discussion topics will remain open so that if you think of something later on you can always add it onto the end of whatever thread is appropriate. Or even after the readthrough is over, though that'll be over a year away, ahaha.

If anyone is reading in French or any interesting translation (including Julie Rose or other less-common English translations -- i.e. besides Hapgood, Wilbour, Fahnestock/McAfee, Denny), it will be interesting to see any footnotes or interesting turns of phrase employed. Not that anyone is required to share but it would be very interesting to see what gets unearthed.

At some point in the next few days we'll have a signup thread for our couple of people to be in charge of starting the discussion threads.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:46 am

No. I'm sure there's a variety of different translations. Besides, forcing someone to read in French and/or a certain English translation might limit those people who have difficulty reading in either language, and I don't think it would be fair to exclude anyone who may feel more comfortable reading in their native language, or a language other than French/English. Although I think it might be a nice idea for the mods in charge of doing the thread-starts to name the title of their book in French in addition to what it's called in their translation. Wilbour calls it "The Noxious Poor" and Julie Rose calls it "The Bad Pauper" and they are both the same book, "Le Mauvais Pauvre". This way any number of translations can hopefully be accommodated for -- so anyone who may be reading in something other than French/English would have a baseline to look up the chapter more quickly. (I couldn't FIND that book immediately in Julie Rose because "The Bad Pauper" was just so far out of the realm of what I was used to seeing it called; I'm sure anyone using other translations that are not French or non-standard in some way might have similar issues.)

I'll probably end up using off-the-cuff translations of book and chapter titles. (For that one I would go for "The Wicked Poor"--for once the Julie Rose translation is 100% accurate and also 100% clunky.) And yes, I agree that having the French alongside might help clear up confusion.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:45 pm

As long as you use the numbers as a coda to your book titles, we should be fine. (even Denny readers, one would hope.)

And a general reminder that Volume, Book, Chapter as numbers is of course more helpful to everyone than just page numbers when citing quotations, particularly when making connections between earlier and later bits (as is probable when we get into Javert and Barricade Boys and just about anything of longitudinal interest).
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 pm

I've nothing more to say other than that all that's been semi-decided on so far sounds very practicable. I'm probably going to be mixing French and various translations myself according to degree-of-familiarity-with-respective-parts, so yes yes yes to having the French and/or the numbers along. As for the questions, I won't vote for no questions, but I'm very much in support of making firstly the answering thereof and secondly the posing thereof by thread openers encouraged but not mandatory (to avoid people spending hours cudgeling their brains for intelligent-but-not-pretentious questions to ask when opening their threads). Which essentially boils down to the same as 'no book club questions', since naturally everyone will be posing some kinds of questions in the course of discussion itself.

Last bumped by MmeJavert on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 pm.

Return to “Questions and Answers”