Les Gutterables Strikes Back: Book Edition

Play Word Assocation, This or That, ^ > v, or whatever else you'd like.
lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:29 pm

*has been educated*

Viele danke!

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Hey, I was going to say Vielen dank! :( You beat me. Ah well, my German is not very good anyway.

In any case, that's a very interesting story. And now I actually know what ol' R was talking about. (As for mixing up the two places, I think that was intentional, just old Grantaire being drunk and insane.)
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Hehe, I'm in German 102, and yet I still don't feel confident saying things that simple...

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 am

Nice tidbit.

Could someone please explain to me the monetary system in Les Misérables. Like how many sous made up a franc, and what exactly was a centime? How many sous were a louis d'or, really?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:21 am

20 sous to a franc, and I am pretty sure a louis d'or is twenty francs.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:24 am

Merci beaucoup.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:39 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Nice tidbit.

Could someone please explain to me the monetary system in Les Misérables. Like how many sous made up a franc, and what exactly was a centime? How many sous were a louis d'or, really?

20 sous to a franc, as MmeJavert said, and a livre was the same as a franc. A centime was a unit of currency introduced during the Revolution, when everything was decimalized, and it was equal to 1/100th of a franc (or 1/5 of a sou). Those were the major ones; you also had écus (5 francs), pistoles (10 francs) and louis d'or--also called Napoléons during the Empire--which were worth 20 francs.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:36 pm

It's "Vielen Dank", actually. :)
Anyway, now I need to check on that bit, I don't remember it at all... which is odd, I should have oticed it...

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:07 pm

:oops: My German ist nicht so gut.

Heh... please ignore it.

*bows and edges away*

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Idiot me. I've been posting on the wrong thread.

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:37 pm

"I have come to sleep with you" -- BEST LINE EVER. My sister and I nearly killed ourselves laughing over that one, especially since it's Courfeyrac he's talking to and despite that man's record with the ladies, you never know with him. So disappointed when Julie Rose's translation said that line as "I have come to sleep at your place."! Also, Joly being described as "the gayest of all" always makes me smile.

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Well, considering the first thing Courfeyrac says to Marius within about fifteen seconds of meeting him is 'Monsieur, come home with me.' (or 'Come to my place.'), one does wonder. Occasionally. (I know I've mentioned this somewhere on this forum before, but there's a gay bar - or a 'gay-friendly' bar, depending on where you ask - in 16 Rue de la Verrerie nowadays.)

In the context of Claquesous being lost on the way to the Force, Hapgood has 'Either the fairies or the police had had a hand in it.'.

(Either? My theory is that it was both: the reason Claquesous may be able to go on for years as a minor mouchard and a major criminal without the markedly greater prolificity of the latter ever leading to the former being held up is that he's sleeping with a superior officer.)

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Actually, the gay-friendly wine bar at 16 rue de la Verrerie has been replaced by a horribly kitschy 'vintage' shop. (In quotation marks because I'm not sure if it's even real vintage or an 'antiques made daily' type of deal.)
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:29 am

What! That is very sad. There go my ambitions to saunter in and put misunderstandable proposals to the first patron willing to answer to the name of Monsieur Courfeyrac in the hope that gender definitions will prevent my being taken up on them ...

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Les Gutterables Strikes Back: Book Edition

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Because yours truly is not up to acting her age tonight:

From "Gavroche on the march"

"I'm going off," said he, "but you won't go off!"

Frustrated kid, that Gavroche!

...and I have no idea how I'm going to translate "I've come to sleep with you" when I get around to it in my translation project. It can go so many ways now.

Return to “Forum Games”