Which Les Mis Character Are You? (fun Playbill quiz)

Play Word Assocation, This or That, ^ > v, or whatever else you'd like.
Acaila

Re: Which Les Mis Character Are You? (fun Playbill quiz)

Postby Acaila » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Combeferre and Joly studied medicine, Marius and Bahorel studied law. Laigle was law too right? Because he was the one who got his name struck off for Marius?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:23 am

Bahorel studied law. If walking past the law school, actively refusing to go inside it and buttoning up one's coat to avoid catching law school cooties is what we're calling studying these days. ;)

23623 wrote:I thought they are all university students studying something related to law or politics.

You're not really that far off the mark. All that really existed for students in Paris at the time would have essentially been law, medicine, becoming a teacher or going to the Polytechnic. As far as I can recall, Bahorel, Marius and Bossuet are the only ones canonically mentioned to be law students, but it's generally accepted that Enjolras, Prouvaire and Courfeyrac would have been studying law as well. Joly is specifically said to be studying medicine and there is wiggle room with Combeferre: certainly medicine is one of his areas of study, but then what isn't in Combeferre's realm of knowledge? The Hapgood translation that Acaila posted above says that he is "a graduate of the Polytechnic" but if you go back to what Hugo actually wrote, he described Combeferre with the adjective "polytechnical," so you can take him with a grain of salt. Popular fanon and a few canon elements support Combeferre as a medical student, but the Polytechnic would have offered one of the best scientific educations available to a young man in this time period even if it did end in mandatory military service. If Hapgood's translation is correct, he should probably be actively serving at the time Les Mis is taking place, which he clearly isn't doing. (Or at least isn't doing very well.) Grantaire is vague as well, he mentions having been a student of Gros, and was an apprentice in his atelier. That said, he may have parted ways with him and enrolled in the law school, or not, but Hugo does explicitly say that he's a student. (Although Hugo is not exactly a paragon of consistency.)

... and Feuilly of course, was not a student at all.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:10 am

Acaila wrote:Laigle was law too right? Because he was the one who got his name struck off for Marius?

Ah this is actually my second favorite funny moment in the book (the first being Eppie's "cops are here" note). :D I was like "seriously dude?" when I read that.

deHavilland wrote:... and Feuilly of course, was not a student at all.

Oh, sorry I forgot about him. This I do know. I swear.
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:12 am

23623 wrote:
CC21106 wrote: .... he met his end not shooting at somebody, but trying to help one of the wounded enemy.

Combeferre died this way? Oh my God seriously I can't believe how many details I missed last time I read the brick. Need to finish rereading as soon as possible.

"Bossuet was killed; Feuilly was killed; Courfeyrac was killed; Combeferre, transfixed by three blows from a bayonet in the breast at the moment when he was lifting up a wounded soldier, had only time to cast a glance to heaven when he expired."

23623 wrote:I have a feeling that Combeferre is threatening Courfeyrac's position as my favorite ami. I need help. :mrgreen:

He's mine already.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:51 pm

About students, some of my thoughts. Here in the US a large proportion, don't know it exactly, of people age 18-22 go to college, either at a private college or university, a state college or university, or a community college. Many go to learn a trade, say speech pathology or computer programming or auto mechanics, but many go just because it's what's done, and to get a diploma which my dad calls "a scalp on your belt" so that you can get a miscellaneous job that requires a college degree (possibly for no particular reason) and general willingness to work. Sending your children to college is a near universal goal, for instance my dad's family. Neither parent went to college but they sent all five children to the then low-cost state colleges. Two of them went on the GI BIll, which was a law instituted after WWII allowing veterans to get a college education practically free. The others worked their way through.

But in the 19th century in Europe the number of college students was proportionately very small, and they were what you might call embryo professionals--as deHavilland said, "law, medicine, becoming a teacher or going to the Polytechnic". They would have had a much higher identity as students, and it wouldn't mean almost anybody between 18 and 22. This took me a long time to realize, that when "the students" were referred to it was a tightly defined group.

Despite this difference, students are still prone to protest. I'm old, but not old enough to have been there for the sixties (worse luck, though that would put me about 70 now and that would suck--no offense to anybody here who might be--well, enough of that). In the sixties the students demonstrated wildly and in fact as we know several were tragically killed by the National Guard at Kent State in Ohio, though the ones killed weren't even in the protest.

At the University of Texas the regents were so afraid of student protests that they built low walls, with plantings to hide their purpose, around much of the campus to prevent demonstrations spilling over into the streets. This project was completed about the time the protests died away in 1971 or so.

And there have been student protests in the last few days (post 2016 election) here.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:43 pm

One of my kids was talking about the Kent State shootings the other day, as part of an inspiration for a directing project. I had to confess I didn't know a whole lot about it.

It's not just funny because of the book, but one of the funniest moments for me was that the other day for no apparent reason I became desperate to look up cillabub's Super Republican Smackdown, which for those who don't know is fanart of the bit in the book where Marius goes on a squee spree about Napoleon and Ferre shuts him down with a simple "to be free". I seriously love that chapter so much.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:56 am

Acaila wrote:....the bit in the book where Marius goes on a squee spree about Napoleon and Ferre shuts him down with a simple "to be free". I seriously love that chapter so much.

That was a first class scene. And right after that, an Enjolras moment: "Citizen, my mother is the Republic"

Got to go reread.

Postby 23623 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:02 am

I love that chapter too! Combeferre and Enjolras left me totally shocked and speechless with that.

And Comebeferre once said something like..."we need revolution and also civilization" (I haven't got there so I don't know the exact wording in English) which is one of my favorite quotes in the book. I completely agree with his view here. Without Combeferre Enjolras would probably be another Javert (well it seems to me that he already is, lol). Also I once wondered how come he isn't the leader of Les Amis; if he was the leader their fate might be totally different. Btw, I know this confession might get me several gunshots but honestly I don't like book Enjolras.

Seriously I want to rename this as "Combeferre appreciation thread". :D

*UPDATE* I finally located the quote and made it my signature!! :wink:
Last edited by 23623 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Enjolras was the chief, but Combeferre was the guide <3

Another fave moment - where Enjy at the barricade just goes on a rant where he stans Feuilly for a couple of pages. I so ship those two with bucketloads of class angst.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Forum Games”