Yearbook

Play Word Assocation, This or That, ^ > v, or whatever else you'd like.
Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Fri May 25, 2007 9:14 am

I rather think it's law, as I guess it is with most of the others.
Bahorel is said to study law too (though he does it the same way as Bossuet).

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri May 25, 2007 3:53 pm

What are Jehan, Combeferre, and Grantaire supposed to be majoring in?

Oh and for fun, if the girls were to go to college/fill out applications, what would they choose?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Sat May 26, 2007 9:15 pm

Prouvaire... Hm. Could be law too, could be anything else as well.
Combeferre - I used to think law, though the fact that he is tending to the wounded (while Joly looks at his fascinating tongue) might point at medicine.
Grantaire could be doing anything, too - or rather, nothing at all, apart from drinking. My guess is law as well, because he might have met several of the others there and joined the group this way.

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sat May 26, 2007 10:28 pm

Combeferre I think has flitted between various technical studies--he mentions having interned at the Necker hospital, which suggests his primary study was in medicine, but also seems to be conversant in physics, chemistry, military science (remember his spiel on the cannons?), geology, archaeology, linguistics, and a score of other disciplines.

Busy boy, our Combeferre. Only the cream of the crop became medical interns, and they had very packed schedules--how on earth he spared time to study god-knows-how-many other subjects and help lead a subversive political group is beyond me.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 27, 2007 5:25 am

That means he either shifted studies a bit (as you say), or he's primarily taking up medicine, but reading a lot. Bookworm tendencies there.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun May 27, 2007 6:16 am

Hugo also mentions that he had graduated from the Ecole Polytechnique--which would explain his familiarity with military engineering as well as the sciences in general. And he went on to become a med student?! Bloody workaholic if you ask me.

(By the way, he mentioned his internship in the past tense at the barricade. Assuming he graduated secondary school at age 18, completed the usual 3 years of study at the Ecole Polytechnique and 4-5 years at the med program, and allowing for one gap year/repeated year, this makes him a year or two older than Enjolras at the very least--putting his birthdate around 1804ish or earlier. God am I a dork for figuring these things out.)
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 27, 2007 6:25 am

Hmm, so considering that Combeferre studied that much...just how old is he again anyway? He must have either gone to school really young, or he's close to hitting thirty by the time 1832 rolls around.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun May 27, 2007 6:27 am

Haha, I addressed that in the edit actually. Unless he ran off after other courses of study for a few years, he'd have been born around 1804--graduated secondary school at age 18, one year of military service, one year of general polytechnic study, one year of specialized study, four years of med school, a year of extra study required to become an intern... so about 28 by the time the barricade rolled around. There's leeway to make him older than that, but not much younger.

(By comparison, if one takes Hugo's initial description of Enjolras at face value, he was born in 1806. Marius more like 1810-ish, maybe 1809.)
Last edited by Marianne on Sun May 27, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 27, 2007 6:30 am

Ah, clearly, of all the Amis, there was at least ONE who liked going to school. :lol: You gotta admit, their study habits are rather abominable.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun May 27, 2007 6:38 am

*pokes above post* Obviously my math is screwy. The absolute youngest Combeferre could be, given what Hugo has said about his prior schooling, is the same age as Enjolras, namely 26 in 1832. It's highly probable he was a year or two older than that--the medical program was quite rigorous and it was not unusual to repeat a year, especially if you went gallivanting off to build barricades instead of writing your thesis. Not to mention I wouldn't put it past him to devote a gap year or two to different studies.

I am thinking that Combeferre would get along very well at MIT in the modern day.

(Edit: Entry to the Ecole Polytechnique was possible at age 16--Carnot, whom Combeferre probably fanboyed because he pretty much invented thermodynamics, did that--but entry to the Paris medical school required completion of a course of study in the humanities at a secondary school, so he probably entered at age 18 after all. Omg Hugo why do you do this to us.)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 27, 2007 6:52 am

Oui, he would.

How long did it take Marius to get through law school? I was wondering, considering that Marius was a lawyer already by the age of 22, are the rest of Les Amis through with their studies as well (besides Combeferre and Joly, obviously)?

It just bugs me: Enjolras is already 26 by 1832. So is he still in school, or is he already a lawyer, or did he take a year off or repeat a year somewhere there? Same goes for the rest.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun May 27, 2007 7:09 am

I don't have as much information on the law school as the medical school, but if Marius--who strikes me as a diligent but not particularly, er, zealous student--could pass the bar within a few years of leaving Grandpapa's, it's certainly within reason for Enjolras to have become a lawyer at some point between 1828 and 1832.

Bear in mind that not all of them necessarily started post-secondary education the instant they turned 18, that Joly might easily have had the same attitude towards medical study as Bossuet did towards law, and that their parents might well have wanted them to come back home to the provinces after they completed their studies--further incentive to drag out school as long as possible. :lol:

As to Combeferre, general perception seems to be that he's a well-rounded scholar including the humanities, but I think Hugo paints him as much more of a hard-sciences boy. Yes, he considers the impact that scientific advancement will have on society, and ponders questions of progress and revolution, which must necessarily include history, literature, Enlightenment philosophy, and maybe even theology--but I think he's a technical geek at heart.
Last edited by Marianne on Sun May 27, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 27, 2007 7:12 am

I could so see Enjolras repeating a year/at least a few classes because of all the things he has to do. Same goes for Courfeyrac.

Out of curiosity...about the girls...unless they were in Cosette's situation, they would have been educated at home, right?

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun May 27, 2007 7:16 am

Again, not sure. Primary education was handed over completely to the clergy in 1824, but that's before most of the girls' time. Before that, they might have attended a public primary school, but nothing beyond that I don't think.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 27, 2007 7:18 am

It's safe to presume that's where Éponine and Azelma got some education...right?

Return to “Forum Games”