Symptoms of B.A.R.R.I.C.A.D.

Play Word Assocation, This or That, ^ > v, or whatever else you'd like.
YoungStudentMarius

Symptoms of B.A.R.R.I.C.A.D.

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:12 am

As you well know, many of us here suffer from a strange disease, known as Bizarre Addiction to Removal from Reality through mIserable Compulsive Allusions Disorder, or simply, "BARRICAD." Studies have proven that the best treatment for those afflicted with BARRICAD is companionship with other patients, so here is a place to share all the symptoms constantly plaguing/amusing you on a daily basis. :mrgreen:

Basically, any random event, fact, story, etc, that reminds us just how big of of Miz-fits we are. :wink: Sort of like those "1001 reasons I'm a Les Mis Freak" lists and such. Because I don't think we have a thread like this or at least I can't find it, which is an absolute travesty.

So, to start us off...
Every single time you see the words "One More Day," your brain switches it to "One Day More." Ach, it just did it again....
Your family often refers to you as "Pontmercy," "Hugo," or by other Miserable forms of address.
You walk into a bookstore, pick up an unfamiliar-looking copy of Les Mis, and scour the covers for the translator. Finding none, you open the book, read a passage, and immediately identify the translation.

So, take it away, mes amis! :mrgreen: And it doesn't have to be in second person or anything, just if you want, but really, anything's fair game!
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Re: Symptoms of B.A.R.R.I.C.A.D.

Postby Gervais » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 am

You have developed back muscles with the strength of Valjean due to carrying the brick in your book bag. I can pretend, anyway.

You think you've found the right college for you when you see they have red and black banners all over campus, and they wave a giant red flag whenever they get a touchdown at a football game.

At said game, you're too busy trying to figure out the key the band played I Dreamed A Dream in during half-time to worry about the score.

You have a doll named Catherine.

You automatically draw comparisons between Les Miz and whatever you're reading in English.

Especially Tale of Two Cities.

Over half of the memory space on your computer/ipad is dedicated to Les Miz related pictures.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:34 am

Your wardrobe is predominated by red and black, or at the very least by the tricolor

You get your hands on a piano or musical instrument, and start tapping out the intro to any song from the musical

Brick quotes are all over your signatures, or other belongings.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 am

People at school or elsewhere call you by a character's name or some variation thereof. (i.e. Combefoxy :D )

You sewed a tricolor sash or bribed a sibling to do it for you.

You have multiple copies of the Brick.

You have one in a language you don't even speak.

Gervais wrote:You automatically draw comparisons between Les Miz and whatever you're reading in English.

Or anything in general
Gervais wrote:Over half of the memory space on your computer/ipad is dedicated to Les Miz related pictures.

Or audios/videos

You've seen every film adaptation and have written reviews on every single one.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:07 am

People play or sing Do You Hear The People Sing when you enter a room (that was high school :oops: )

Those close to you know to restrain you when someone pronounces the title incorrectly :oops: (esp bad when it's your boyfriend and his mother)

EDIT: And this just happened to me, you see someone on twitter talking about "jeans" and think they are meaning multiple Valjeans :oops:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 pm

Whenever you read or watch something that's good and perhaps dramatic or emotional, you try to see which Les Mis songs would fit into it.

Whenever you feel you've been wronged by some higher group or force, or you just don't like some sort of thing or group, you think of planning a barricade somewhere.

When watching a good film with excellent actors, you try to picture which roles in Les Mis they would be capable of fitting into.
The law is unjust.

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 pm

You snicker everytime someone says lovely ladies.

You not only know the words to the musical forwards, backwards, and upside down, but can even give a detailed list of changes made to the set from the original to the 25 anniverary redesign.

You have stuffed animals named after Amis and even made little revolutionary costumes for them. (True story)
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 am

You get highly offended when you receive a mass email/letter addressed to "Lovely Ladies". (All the time)
You have maps of 19th Cent. France taped to your walls.
You want to visit Paris to see approximately where Javert killed himself.
You cuddle your Brick.
You sleep with your Brick.
You contemplate barricading your least favorite teacher out of the room.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 am

MamzelleCombeferre wrote:You have stuffed animals named after Amis and even made little revolutionary costumes for them. (True story)

I only have a Marius :( Who is a stuffed orangutan. (excuse to get more stuffed animals!)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 am

You've watched Shoujo Cosette without subtitles and again after the fan-made ones hit the internet and the count of Les Mis-movies you watched in languages you don't understand is embarrassingly high (currently six for me).

You know the musical lyrics by heart forward and backward in several languages, including at least one you don't understand.

You've travelled longer than the runtime of the movie to be able to see it earlier than when it would be in cinemas in your home town.

You've contemplated buying an old movie projector because someone was selling a trailer/a part (I honestly don't remember what it was, but it wasn't the fulll movie) of a very old Les Mis movie on ebay.

You're afraid to touch your Brick, because already half the pages are loose (Next time I'm buying hardcover...)

The Bricklayer wrote:
Gervais wrote:Over half of the memory space on your computer/ipad is dedicated to Les Miz related pictures.

Or audios/videos

You have an entire hard drive dedicated to to Les Mis.

The fact that you've managed to put a Les Mis reference in some completely unrelated work still makes you jump around the room in happiness (I had the number 2460.1 in my Bachelor thesis (in Physics) in a list of results three years ago).

An exasperated "What have I done?" from a colleague finding a mistake leads to you leaving the room so you can musically answer that question in peace (happened last Tuesday).

That same colleague went to New York over New Year and brought me a picture of some huge advertisement for the movie which she made just for me... :D

You wear a red/green cap, red jacket and light brown trousers to work if you have reasons to believe that work will not be pleasant on that particular day and you're unsure if you want or don't want people to notice (I do that to every single night shift I have to take).
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:32 pm

You use 24601 or 9430 as an ID number.

You quip back and forth with street urchins. (Yes, I have a personal Gavroche).

You're seriously considering joining a street protest or starting a march to deal with government leaders who 'are no better than the last'. (The freaky part is that it's happening AGAIN in my circle of friends....)
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:08 am

You and some friends convert a church playground into a barricade.

Before going down the slide of your new barricade, you sing the last lines of the Suicide.

And then your friends sing the instrumental ending as you go down.

Your passcode for your iPod is either 2460 or 9430.

You contemplate suggesting that the Girl Scouts give Seniors and/or Ambassadors red vests, rather than khaki ones.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm

It is almost literally impossible for you to listen to any sort of music without trying to connect to a Les Mis character.

Conseqently, you have a playlist a gazillion miles long for whichever character you are currently using the most.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:42 pm

You try to download the Les Mis songs (illegally even) sung in every possible language - and to ensure that you haven't missed out on even a single cast recording, you scurry the internet to find out a list of all the different cast recordings produced so far in all the languages.

You go to Youtube to find out if any random people - besides the Les Mis regulars - may have sung a song or two, so that you can listen to it, and download it to your PC, if you like it (& let them know that they're wonderful singers).

You keep scurrying the internet all the time for all kinds of Les Mis stuff - artwork, award videos, live performances, studio recorded songs, character illustrations, etc.

You keep searching the internet for the "most perfect" ebook version of the unabridged Brick in both English and French (or even your own native language).

No matter how much memory space is occupied by your Les Mis collection on your PC, you delete the other stuff on your PC, so that more memory space is freed on the PC for you to add to your Les Mis collection.

When you go to sleep, you try to dream about a Les Mis fanfic that you may have read, and are now trying to recall about it.

You ensure that you have posted comments on every Les Mis-related video on Youtube, giving your honest opinions.

You try hard to think of any other fictional characters who have personalities similar to the Les Amis (any Power Rangers fan who has seen the Mystic Force series would agree that Xander Bly's personality is quite similar to Courfeyrac's personality).

You have posted a message related to this topic because you are so very proud of being a Les Mis fan!!!!
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:47 pm

All of your classmates know the number 24601. Why? Because they see it EVERYWHERE.

{Edit: I write it on every single chair of the classroom, where teachers can't see it. When someone asks me what it means, I just say it's a password or something, so no one really knows the truth :P)
Last edited by Little Cozelma on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum Games”