Mafia sign up

Play Word Assocation, This or That, ^ > v, or whatever else you'd like.
The Bricklayer

Re: Mafia sign up

Postby The Bricklayer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 am

Taelin wrote:I'm in then, though I have no idea what I'm doing. :lol:
Join the club. I'm still a bit confused.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Oooh, I would prefer to be Éponine, if we get to choose characters. But if we don't that's fine.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:45 pm

No, you don't get to choose characters, because finding out who is who is basically the main part of the game.
I think Enjolvert's suggestion is a really good one. Start with just Mafia and civilians, or in our case National Guard and revolutionnaries and maybe one person with special abilities on each side. I'd suggest to start with the two characters often known as the detective, who can enquire during the night who are the Mafia (so maybe in our case a Gavroche who can enquire who is national guard) and the terrorist (see my earlier post) who can stop him from telling what he found out (maybe in our case we could call that person "the cannon" or the "hail of bullets" :wink: ).
Then, once everybody got the hang of it, we can put more and more persons into the game, maybe even develop them together, because right now it seems as though not too many persons could join the discussion of what special abilites characters get. It's also important to keep the game balanced.

Btw, enjolraslesunicorn, you suggested a Thénardier who robs the dead and finds out about their identities. Why that does make perfect sense in the context of the book, the identities of the dead are usually announced after their death in Mafia anyway, at least that's the way I know it. The character known as the thief in the set of rules I know is able to steal the special ability of another character (usually living, but we could change that for Thénardier of course...), who could then not use this ability for that night (but wouldn't be told) while the thief could use it. The thief may or may not be told what special ability he stole (a Thénardier who'd rob the dead would of course (usually) know what special ability he got his hands on, but that's not so bad, because a thief who doesn't know what ability he stole can really mess up the game).

I'm looking forward so much to actually playing this!
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

oooo okay! Still trying to make sense of the game, because I don't fully get it. So when do we start actually playing the game? :D
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 pm

I think the game will probably still take a while because you need a good dozen or so people at least to be honest before you can start.

I largely agree with Trompe too. While I think lots of ideas are good to add to it, it'll only confuse people for now. A detective on the national guard side (Javert) and one on the side of the rebels (could maybe be Valjean or even Gavroche as was suggested).

I'd hope that after this time, if it's a success, we could then go on and make a bigger game with hopefully more people and instead of mostly standard rebels, that's when we start to add in the actual students with their actual names as people will have more experience and will understand it. As much as I came up with the Éponine and Thenardier roles as well as a couple of others, they'll only confuse people this first time round. Plus, if we jump in there too soon with developed games then the whole concept gets stale earlier.

Also, you might be better editing the OP to add in those who are definitely playing, so we know.

Plus, while I'm no expert on mafia games, I know the basics so if anyone is unsure of the basic rules then they can feel free to PM me.
The law is unjust.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:50 pm

I was also thinking of a detective on the National Guard side who'd be Javert, but it only makes sense with a certain number of special characters. Seeing as the National Guard work together, they know everyone on their side, until you introduce a few special characters. So a Javert makes sense the moment you have one or two characters who play on the side of the National Guard without knowing who the National Guard actually are. If we introduce Javert at this point his only help to the National Guard would be to find out Gavroche so that they can kill him before he finds out about too many of them and that might upset the balance of the game somewhat.

There's also the question of how much a detective would be told. I know both the variants where he is exactly told what character someone is and the variant where he is only told what side someone is on.

On a different subject, what side would for example Thénardier be on? I know games where you have a third side (the Freelancer, Tom and Jerry, Romeo and Juliet etc. etc.) but these are usually only one or two characters. If we have Thénardier we might want to introduce the whole of Patron-Minette at some point and I can't see them working with any of the two sides...

Another idea for a role: I know it's a different part of the book, but at some point I suggest we get Champmathieu: if he gets the most votes during the day, Valjean is automatically lynched in his place. Or he has to declare his identity, but depending on what abilities we end up giving Valjean, that might only postpone his death... But well, this is anyway for later. :wink:

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:34 am

Oh my gosh, now I'm getting confused!

Okay, so the Thenardier thing was suggested to me, and I figured that we could just change the game.

Yeah, everybody's ideas are good, but I don't understand what the Javert would do on the National Guard's side. The National Guard usually knows who's not a national guard, so what's the point?

We start playing the game a week after I first made this thread, to make sure everyone who wants to play can have time to sign up.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:32 pm

A detective on the Mafia's side is useful the moment you get a certain number of special characters who work for the Mafia, but are not actually knwon by them. The terrorist or the thief I talked about at some point are two of these. You'd make the game too unbalanced towards the Mafia's side if these characters were known by the Mafia, but if they are not, the Mafia could accidentially kill someone on their own side without knowing it. Hm, hope the explanation is (halfway) clear.
Alternatively, detectives could be informed about the exact character someone is playing (so not only Mafia/civilians, but this person is detective, angel, terrorist etc.) and then a detective on the Mafia's side could help finding out the special characters among the civilians so as to pick those off first.

Ok, let's just make sure we settle on the exact rules for the first game before starting. I guess it's agreed that we start with only a small number of different characters, but let's make sure we all agree which ones they are.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Would it perhaps be better if, since it's the first time, we start without any special roles? Not everyone will be completely clued up to the game so there will probably be lots of hints and we can go on gut instinct. Then, if it's a success we start to implement some of the ideas suggested.
The law is unjust.

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Well, usually you have the detective(Javert) and the doctor(Patria), so we need those, and we don't want it to be too boring, and we need to experiment a little, so I threw in the Romeo(Marius) and Juliet(Cosette).

We should probably make Javert a National Guard, like how Trompe-la-Mort described it, and make Gavroche the detective for the rebels.

I guess we should also throw in an Éponine, like if she finds Marius, he is transferred to the National Guard, as was suggested earlier. Would she be on the National Guard's team, like Javert, or neutral?

And should we have Valjean? Also, do you guys think this is too much, not enough, or good? What would you change? And if you're confused, pm somebody.

Haha, I sound so lame! :-)

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:42 pm

No worries, it's good to ask. I can agree that on second thoughts, even in the first game it's better to have a few. I'd stick to just the detective, Javert and Marius/Cosette for now. If you do want to include an Éponine though, I'd make her neutral till Marius finds her. She's not a national guard but they want to keep her alive at the same time because she can harm the rebels. If Marius is found Cosette dies and he transfers. If Marius finds her then she's just normal with the rebels. I wouldn't include her this time round but it's your game so it's up to you. Just giving some extra advice.

I'd maybe give Javert a little something to boost him; maybe immunity from detective searches? Gives him a little something to separate him from standard national guard members.

I think that would be a good idea though. Keep it simple this time round with Javert, Gavroche, Marius and Cosette. Then Joly if you need a doctor. If this is a success we can complicate their roles more next time. Up to you though.
The law is unjust.

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Yeah, okay. We can take out the Éponine, and then do something with Javert. With your idea, Enjolvert, wouldn't that let the detective know who Javert is? Or could it be more like, "I'd like to know who ____ is"? Maybe we could make him somehow immune to lynches and such things, but he dies a few rounds later, as a nod to Valjean letting him go and then his committing suicide? Or would that be too confusing?

If anybody has any other ideas, please post. I love hearing people's opinions.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 pm

What I mean by that is when the detective asks, does he not choose a name and it comes back as innocent or guilty dependant on whether they are a rebel or national guard? If so, when he asked about the person who happened to be Javert, it would come back innocent as if he was any other rebel. Or is the detective role slightly different here?
The law is unjust.

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Oh yeah. Ha ha, I think I'm going crazy or something! Sorry, just being the (half-)dumb blonde I am. :-)

No, the detective's normal.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:10 pm

So do you think my suggestion of the Javert being immune to being found by the detective is decent enough then?
The law is unjust.

Return to “Forum Games”