Mafia sign up

Play Word Assocation, This or That, ^ > v, or whatever else you'd like.
enjolraslesunicorn

Mafia sign up

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Have you ever played Mafia? It's this party game where some people are mafia, another's a doctor, another's a detective, Romeo and Juliet(optional), and townspeople. The Mafia want to kill the people, and the people want to kill the Mafia. You can play it on forums, so I thought, "Why not on here?" So here it is!

But I decided to let this be a Les Mis themed version! So the Mafia are the National Guard, the doctor's Joly, the detectives are Javert and Gavroche, Romeo is Marius, Juliet is Cosette, and the townspeople are the other rebels. If Marius dies by the National Guard, then Cosette dies as well. Javert is on the national guard, and can find out exactly who everybody is, by asking, "Who is [enter username here]?". The national guard doesn't know who he is, and he doesn't know who's the national guard. Gavroche is on the rebel's side, and can find out whether a person is a national guard or a rebel. Javert will come back as a rebel no matter what. Joly can heal anyone, including himself, but can only guess who. I call it: Rebellion.

Yes, we changed it a lot. This is just an experiment, remember, so we're trying not to make it too advanced.

During what I call "Day Meetings", the people(Everyone) decides who to kill. They try to kill off the National Guard by accusing the other players of what they think they are. Majority rules.

What you basically do to communicate is pm each other. During day meetings, we'll talk in the other forum for the actual game. I'll be the moderator, and I'll choose who's who. :) I'll give you all a week to sign up, two if we need it. One hundred is my limit, although I doubt we'll reach that.

It's a really fun game, and I love it. To sign up, just reply and say that you wanna play.

EDIT: Alright, so we don't have enough people, so I'm scrapping Marius and Cosette, making it a pretty basic game. I will have an Enjolras, who can kill whoever he wants.
Last edited by enjolraslesunicorn on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:22 am, edited 14 times in total.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Enjolvert

Re: Mafia sign up

Postby Enjolvert » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 pm

It sounds good. I've seen one or two of these games before and they always look like a good laugh to play if you can get into it.

To perhaps add some more depth to it, you could maybe add some extra roles that I can think of. There could be a Valjean on the bad guys (national guard) who is actually a good guy and can use his expertise to try and subtly point out the bad guys to the good guys, obviously without being too obvious as to who he is. His job could also be to find out the Marius and Cosette, who could be paired in a way that if one goes, then so does the other.

There could be a Thenardier, randomly assigned to either team who 'robs' bodies after they're dead and therefore, discovers their identity from it.

Then you could have an Éponine, who tries to find Marius and if she does so successfully, he is transferred to the national guard team and Cosette is killed off.

Obviously if you want to keep it exactly how you had it, that's cool. Just throwing out some extra ideas if you want any.
The law is unjust.

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Yeah, I'm not actually that creative. :) Ha ha, the Valjean character is really good. And Éponine. And Thenardier. Yeah, they're characters too. Any others?

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Joly could have a power to heal one person during the process of the game, considering his medical skills. Unless a Thenardier had revealed by that point for whatever reason necessary, then there would obviously be the risk of his decision backfiring.

Enjolras would deserve powers. He should be the one only other one who has to verify Joly's decision. He would also be able to kill off one person of his choice at any point in the game, once only. He should be able to do one or two other things maybe too that give him an advantage, however I haven't thought of others yet and you'd have to be careful to not give him too much that sways the game in the favour of his side.

Grantaire could be downgraded, so that he doesn't actually have any voting power when it comes to getting rid of someone one night, and something to connect him to Enjolras as well, whatever it may be.

As the main friend of everyone in the group, Courfeyrac could be able to find out the names of two students of his choice at the beginning of the game, or any point he chooses throughout.

Lesgles should be connected to Joly in some way.

Combeferre could perhaps take over a couple of Enjolras' powers should he still be alive when Enjolras dies.

We need a Gavroche who can do something too, such as being the one who can enquire as to who Javert is, obviously referring back to his own discovery. He could receive one clue to give to Valjean as well (referring to the letter).

Then, Marius could have the job to find Éponine. If he does, Éponine no longer tries to get rid of Marius and turn Cosette, but only acts as a normal rebel from then on in. That would result in Éponine and Marius searching for each other both ways.

Just some potential ideas though. You may want to keep this one simplified since it's the first time and a sort of trial run to an extent. I'll keep thinking though as this may need to be up for a while before we have an ideal number.
The law is unjust.

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Thank you! :) I used some of the ideas you had, but not all of them. Ha ha, it's only a trial run, so, yeah. Only used what I saw as necessary. So I guess you're playing? Ha ha, just making sure.

Anyway, we need to advertise! :)

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:18 pm

This looks interesting, but a bit confusing. Either way, I'm in. I'm just not sure what I need to do.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:31 pm

I actually LOVE Mafia, but I've only played it with everyone in the same room, actually talking, never in a forum, so this is new for me, too. We used to play it for hours nearly every week-end in my boarding school, so we tried out lots of different rules. If anybody wants to have a bit of fun reading what other kinds of things can be done with the game, we started from this page:
http://www.princeton.edu/~sucharit/~maf ... /rules.htm
And I think we got through nearly all of the rule variants... One thing that makes the game quite a bit more interesting, but also quite a bit more complicated, is the jail, as an alternative to lynching. In the "live" version it means that the person in question has to go to a different room where different rules apply. We tried a few, but it's really only possible when you have a lot of people.

It's funny, because I've also been trying to make up a Les Mis themed version of the game. It did, of course, heavily rely on the use of the jail, but it was unnecessarily complicated, so I'll keep it to myself for the moment...

As for the ideas you already had, I think that Marius still needs some kind of power. We used to play with a person named "the terrorist", who could do one suicide attack during daytime killing himself and another person, usually someone who knew too much. Marius could do something similar, like he threatened with the powder barrel...
Also, I think that Valjean should definitely die if Cosette dies. Valjean also needs the possibility to save Javert from lynching, although this would only delay Javert's death, as Javert kkills himself a day or two later. The problem I see right now with Valjean is that he knows all the National guards and therefore everybody else in the game has to be not-National Guard, so there's no reason why he shouldn't just tell everybody else who the National Guard are. So maybe that needs thinking a bit. I'll come back with more ideas when it's not past midnight...

One logistical question: As I said, I never played this in a forum before... So you can pm anybody you want and write as much to them as you want? And what you write in the forum is what you want to say to everybody? Also, how do we do day meetings seeing as we're (probably) all from different time zones?

And, if you haven't guessed yet, I'd absolutely love to join. :D
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:00 am

It is a little confusing, but it's fun.

Basically, there are a few people called "Mafia", or in this case, "The National Guard". They try to kill everyone so they can win. There's also Javert, who can find out who anyone is, Valjean, who masquerades as a National Guard, but is a rebel, and drops subtle hints about who's who to the town, and Marius and Cosette, two people in "love" who are rebels. If one is killed by the National Guard, the other dies. Éponine tries to figure out who Marius is. If she finds out, Marius joins the National Guard, and Cosette is killed, without Marius dying. Enjolras can kill whoever he wants any time, but only once throughout the whole game. Grantaire isn't allowed to vote during "lynching"(When everyone tries to decide on who to kill. They try to find the Mafia.). Gavroche tries to find Javert. If he does find Javert, then he takes Javert's place. Patria can heal one person each round. Thenardier robs the bodies of the dead, and can find out who they were. This is actually helpful, as then, you can figure out who's dead, and how many National Guardsmen are left.

Do you understand a little better now?

And to Trompe-la-Mort, yeah, your Marius idea is definitely good. Yeah, I'll add that in. I've never played this in a forum either, so... yeah. Ha ha, you can pm anyone you want, but you cannot tell anyone who you are. Valjean can only drop subtle hints about who's in the national guard, so... yeah/Day Meetings are just what I call them. :) I really just pm everyone and tell them that it is now day, and post it in the forum, and people just post random things about who they think is who. Forum Mafia takes weeks or months, because everyone's in different time zones.

If Javert is about to be lynched, then I'll pm Valjean and ask him if he wants to save Javert.

Yes, anything you say in the forum is for everyone. pm stuff to people that other people can't know, like if you're on the national guard and you want to have a conversation with the other national guards. You can't talk about secrets outside of the forum. Only Thenardier and the Inspector can tell others who they are, and that's to help the group.

Taelin

Postby Taelin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:12 am

This is confusing. :cry:

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 am

Ha ha, yeah... It's confusing for everybody. This game is kind of a test run, so nobody knows what they're doing, really. I'm going off of guides I found on the internet and my previous experience.

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:53 pm

It's con-fuddling, but I'm game for anything! :mrgreen:
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Since a lot might have never encountered this game before, it might be better to stick to the basics you suggested in the OP and we could then add in some of the other suggestions later on if this is a success. I think the more ideas the better but I kind of forgot that the normal rules can be way too complicated for some nevermind extra rules. We can see who's up for it though and how well they understand it.
The law is unjust.

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:31 pm

Yeah... That'd be a good idea. Definitely.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Cool. It'll be a good idea probably to see how many signup nearer the time so you know what sort of numbers you have for respective roles. Starting with the simple one could mean there's more room for progression so it doesn't get stale quickly. Up to you though to make the final decision before it starts since it's your game. :D
The law is unjust.

Taelin

Postby Taelin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:38 am

I'm in then, though I have no idea what I'm doing. :lol:

Return to “Forum Games”