Things you're ashamed to admit you own

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
carotid

Re: Things you're ashamed to admit you own

Postby carotid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Ravariel wrote:I own a dictionary of the Elvish language.

I do, too! Though mine is back at home-home, not here in my apartment. I think that it's perfectly sensible -- nay, should be encouraged -- to have at least one reference book for any language that one might be using. And if there's a fannish basis... well, I'm no poorer for having my lightly-passing knowledge of French and Japanese having been due to fandom.

And the hand-made one sounds totally awesome.
Look, Louis-Philippe, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but the Republic had the best French government of all time. OF ALL TIME.

carotid

Postby carotid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Thirty pairs of shoes.

Other than that, I'm pretty much utterly shameless about everything.
Look, Louis-Philippe, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but the Republic had the best French government of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 am

I'm only ashamed of the elvish on occasion, like when people who know I speak it tell that to people I otherwise wouldn't have told. That's embarrassing. And awkward. But I do harbor a certain sort of pride in it, yes.
9430 wrote:Is the purchased one a green paperback edited by Jim Allan? Because you are not alone in that. But I'm not ashamed of my huge Tolkien book collection at all.

No, it's not; I've never seen that one. Mine is a red paperback by Ruth S. Noel. She's a linguist and did quite a good analysis of the grammar, though her vocabulary section is pathetic (which is why my cousin compiled the other one.) And as for your sword, I have an Eowyn replica, so you are not alone :) I use it, too.
Bohemian Red Head wrote:And I have a staff/stick thing that I made out of a tree that I sometimes fight my brother with.

I fight my younger brother with sticks too, all varieties of them, when I'm at home, but at college I must practice alone, alas...
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 am

This is something I should be ashamed to admit I own, but...I'm not! I'm defiantly chuffed that I own it! Even if I did buy it after drinking two bottles of champagne.

The three little mink heads are just wicked. Snarling little things...I need to photograph it with an outfit. It's currently living in a cabinet where it can terrify/fascinate small children.

Because collecting the teens and 1920s shouldn't just be about pretty beaded dresses...it should be about wearable taxidermy as well!

"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Potato112

Postby Potato112 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:24 pm

A high school musical clock!
:D

Floreal

Postby Floreal » Sun May 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Col.Despard wrote: Because collecting the teens and 1920s shouldn't just be about pretty beaded dresses...it should be about wearable taxidermy as well!

Ohh...love this! I could totally see this being worn on the Jeeves and Wooster series with Fry and Laurie. Maybe with a matching little hat as well! Lol...I'll probably have peta hate mail sent to me now...but oh well! I LOVE this.
Sir, the type of women currently favored in France are toothless crones who just cackle insanely.

Floreal

Postby Floreal » Tue May 03, 2011 5:58 am

Well, I only have one thing I'm embarrassed about. My Faster than the Speed of Night album by Bonnie Tyler. I really like wacky 80's music videos, and hers is my favorite over-the-top one, so I bought the entire album. Here's the (hilarious) video to Total Eclipse of the Heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840B27zYfOk
Warning-It may make you want to gouge your eyeballs out, but it's insanely funny and catchy. It's sort of an unofficial anthem of my family, and we always sing very dramatically it around the holidays, my brother doing the "bright eyes" bits. (Because yeah, we're cool like that) :wink:

And the cover. I wish my hair could get that feathered...lol
Sir, the type of women currently favored in France are toothless crones who just cackle insanely.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed May 04, 2011 2:29 am

Floreal, please tell me you know Dance of the Vampires. If you do not, OMG, we must introduce you to cheesy serious usage of Total Eclipse of the Heart.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Floreal

Postby Floreal » Wed May 04, 2011 8:12 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:Floreal, please tell me you know Dance of the Vampires. If you do not, OMG, we must introduce you to cheesy serious usage of Total Eclipse of the Heart.

No! What is it?

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed May 04, 2011 11:25 pm

OMG.

Tanz der Vampire is a musical by Jim Steinman and Michael Kunze based on the Roman Polanski film. It is deliberately cheesy but the romantic aspects actually work. Sort of like if Phantom of the Opera were a comedy. It's a spoof of Dracula and all the classic vampire films that came after, but with a serious romance at the centre of it. It only works if you believe in Alfred and Sarah; the whole thing can't be pure spoof.

Total Eclipse of the Heart (Totale Finsternis) is sung by our female lead, Sarah, with the "turn around, bright eyes" by Von Krolock, the vampire who is after her. Sarah is the daughter of a Jewish innkeeper - who later gets turned to a vampire and crosses don't work against him because he's Jewish. There's also a gay vampire, Herbert, who has a thing for our young hero, Alfred. Some of the music is really nice, and some of it is cheesy as hell, and the whole thing is kinda awesome. It's very popular in Europe - multiple German productions, at least a Hungarian and a Polish translation (Taniec wampirow in Polish). Around 2002, a US production was attempted. Unfortunately, that production played up the humour while, it was rumoured, Michael Crawford tried to reserve all that humour for himself in the lead role of Von Krolock. It only ran as long as it did for the trainwreck factor - the show was bad, bad, bad, and barely resembled Tanz anymore. The US fans usually refer to "Tanz" rather than "Dance of the Vampires" because they really aren't the same show.

Here's a not bad YouTube vid of Totale Finsternis with Cornelia Zenz and Steve Barton (original cast). I have a mad crush on Aris Sas from his work as Alfred (Für Sarah, here).
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:04 pm

I have to be shamelessly nostalgic now, because "Tanz der Vampire" was the first musical I ever saw on stage. That was quite something... (*dream*)
For anybody who likes large choir numbers, this is my personal favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjbC1skpL2w

Back on topic, I would tell you what I'm ashamed of possessing, but I'm ashamed...
I have a complete collection of every Lucky Luke movie/series ever made, including that truly DREADFUL series with Terrence Hill. The worst part: it's not a left-over from childhood. I bought all of them during the last two years; sort of fulfilling a childhood dream...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:15 am

I own Bill O'Reilly's autobiography. (For those of you who don't live in America, Bill O'Reilly is this guy on Fox News channel who hosts a show where he says nasty things about, like, women and racial minorities)
So...that's something. My grandmother gave it to me.
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Patria

Postby Patria » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:44 am

I am not at all ashamed to say that I own a plush tribble that vibrates and purrs.

I am, however, ashamed to say that I still own a stack of those distressingly bad "Warriors" books from many years ago. I cringe every time I see them peeking out of my bookshelf.

I have got to clean that bookshelf.
"Would you like my hat?"

Awesome icon by Hannah.

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Ooh...! Were those the books where the cats lived in a forest and were weirdly organized and loyal for cats? My sister loved those when we were younger. I was a snob and teased her about them. :D
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Patria

Postby Patria » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:04 pm

Yes they were. I have to admit that I was quite fond of them myself when I was about 13. Kind of a guilty pleasure though...I knew they didn't count as literature. Haha.
"Would you like my hat?"

Awesome icon by Hannah.

Return to “General Discussion”