The Rant thread

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Acaila

Re: The Rant thread

Postby Acaila » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:14 pm

freedomlover wrote:Why is it so hard to find jobs?

I've been looking since August 2016 when my amazing internship in Paris ended... and it stinks being in my hometown, away from Paris and away from my university's town. I feel so trapped here and its annoying even hearing about protests in the capital city that i'm too far away from. I want to be back in Paris, or back at my university's city or in DC..

I feel like my heart is in a few places and none of them are my hometown- the town I always wanted to escape but now am back in...

I've applied constantely to jobs, almost got this one job- but a girl whose father worked there got it instead (she had less experience than I, and wasn't even in that field)

I finally got a parttime local minimum wage job, but it doesn't give me enough for grad school in August... ugh. I'm grateful I have it, but i'm still around my hometown seeing the same sights and same everything...

I feel like no matter what I do my credentials aren't there, with 2 BA degrees and 3 languages but still not impressive enough...

I wish the government could force employers to give every graduate a job in their field of study, or at least universities should be forced to pay back student debt if you can't find work.

Are there graduate schemes in the US? They're a common thing over here, where you can apply to one big organisation, and potentially be sent anywhere in the country but with a very good salary. They also don't usually expect a specific degree topic.

Student debt is really sucky. Tuition is free here in Scotland at least, but the loan debt still lasts for ages :(
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Acaila wrote:
freedomlover wrote:Why is it so hard to find jobs?

I've been looking since August 2016 when my amazing internship in Paris ended... and it stinks being in my hometown, away from Paris and away from my university's town. I feel so trapped here and its annoying even hearing about protests in the capital city that i'm too far away from. I want to be back in Paris, or back at my university's city or in DC..

I feel like my heart is in a few places and none of them are my hometown- the town I always wanted to escape but now am back in...

I've applied constantely to jobs, almost got this one job- but a girl whose father worked there got it instead (she had less experience than I, and wasn't even in that field)

I finally got a parttime local minimum wage job, but it doesn't give me enough for grad school in August... ugh. I'm grateful I have it, but i'm still around my hometown seeing the same sights and same everything...

I feel like no matter what I do my credentials aren't there, with 2 BA degrees and 3 languages but still not impressive enough...

I wish the government could force employers to give every graduate a job in their field of study, or at least universities should be forced to pay back student debt if you can't find work.

Are there graduate schemes in the US? They're a common thing over here, where you can apply to one big organisation, and potentially be sent anywhere in the country but with a very good salary. They also don't usually expect a specific degree topic.

Student debt is really sucky. Tuition is free here in Scotland at least, but the loan debt still lasts for ages :(

I think there might be, I should look into that. I've applied for GA positions but they are very tricky to get.

Nice!!! but that stinks about loan debt :( the free tuition sounds amazing though (or even if tuition still existed but was cheaper)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:31 pm

I don't actually remember the last time I got a student loan statement, so I'm not sure how much I've paid off, but I bet it's not a lot! :(
Yeah, my best friend applied for a bunch of graduate schemes (mostly because she seemed to be under the impression that the only things you could do was a graduate scheme or work retail forever). She ended up on one for a year anyway, it's a good salary.

On another note......I really really REALLY hate automated spam bots :x That's an hour of my life I'll never get back!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:27 pm

There's a really good career advice blog (http://www.askamanager.org) you can check out if you haven't already - tons of really helpful advice (also advice about how to spot bad advice). In addition to posts, they also do an 'open thread' every Friday where you can ask questions (or just vent, a lot of people there in the same boat as you, or have been in the past).

In Australia students are only obligated to pay back their loans once they start earning above a certain threshold (the loans are interest-free but indexed to inflation). I'd say that was a good system except they keep lowering that threshold... :x

Acaila wrote:On another note......I really really REALLY hate automated spam bots :x That's an hour of my life I'll never get back!

Thanks for clearing that up so quickly! I didn't think there's that much demand for sunglasses here...

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 am

No probs, I just wish I'd caught it as it was being posted - I was still up at that point last night, since I stayed up to watch Game of Thrones.

Yeah, the UK is similar, you don't pay back until you're earning over £15k, though that is annoyingly low.
My interest free student overdraft is reducing now too, so my current mission is paying that back. Think my credit cards may be getting a good bit of use over the next few months.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Gervais II

Postby Gervais II » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:38 am

I need my government to get its shit together and protect its citizens, not send pathetic tweets and empty statements.

Edit for language.
"The peas, Woyzek. The peas."

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm

The July Rebellion.

The people were hoping for a republic, and on the barricades for a republic.

When their hopes and dreams were crushed beneath their feet while a despot... I mean Louis Phillippe took the throne of France. :shock:

and due to very brutal measures from the "democratic king" the revolution of 1832 didn't work :oops:

(and like how can people not find history interesting?? like weird)

Alright I was going to rant about Trump ignoring major problems in America and saying they don't exist/showing very questionable statistics.. but since Trump is so common to rant about, the July Rebellion!

But guys... I'm actually planning a protest :D a virtual one so people too poor to travel are included.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Return to “General Discussion”