The Rant thread

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
CC21106

Re: The Rant thread

Postby CC21106 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:02 pm

Acaila wrote:...."comforter, philosopher and life long git" is no big loss.
True. It may not get as big a laugh but that's pretty minor in the context of the whole song.

As for internal politics sorry you're having to deal with that. Alas it's the bane of every organization on Earth from tribal men's societies up to whatever is the highest, most exclusive organization you can think of.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Yeah, I usually manage to stay out of it, but obviously other people are involved in the show and other people have axes to grind with them. I've just got to work on convincing other people that it's worth the fight four years after the last bust up.
And doing so by shouting a lot about how Delfont Mackintosh will sue the pants off them for anything that can't be explained away as "obviously someone misheard, we totally said the scripted lyrics!"
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 am

When I come to the show, I would like to be introduced as a representative of either MTI or Cameron Mackintosh LTD and then I will proceed to bitch about every change that I notice. And I will notice.

Or I can behave like how CamMack's actual rep did when he was at Toronto Les Mis, because that was a thrilling and enjoyable experience for everyone.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:47 pm

I don't think I've heard that story (though I would much like to).

And yes, you certainly would notice. One of the kids already noticed a cut in the schools ed version of the script, I was very proud.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:00 am

You've heard that story. About the conductor's monitor and the ridiculous note Carpy was sent at the end of the show.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:17 am

Acaila wrote:.... One of the kids already noticed a cut in the schools ed version of the script, I was very proud.
Not just informed, but alert! Good for them.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:06 pm

Something is stirring re. the note to Carpy, but I've definitely forgotten this. :(

Today's rant - agent for my old flat is trying to take over two hundred quid off of my deposit. I've never lost a penny of one before, so I'm calling BS on this!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 pm

It's illegal to take a security deposit in Canada on housing.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Here it's paid into a scheme where neither tenant or landlord has control about it and both have to agree at the end of the lease how it is returned or it enters an arbitration process.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:42 pm

I've been lucky and have had fair landlords (Texas). What they took off the deposit, they deserved. How nice it is to have somebody to call when something breaks that has to fix it, though of course owning is better in most ways.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:49 pm

Where would be the best place to rant about the barricades in the stage productions?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Here's fine, though feel free to start a new thread for it if you have a lot to rant about! :D

My rant for today - I desperately need the Christmas holidays to hurry up. 9 more work days to go, but it's like I'm crawling to the finish line!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:43 pm

OK, then I will rant about onstage barricades. They're just too flimsy. They're made of furniture. They would disintegrate if a cannon shot at them twice and they look like they ought to fall apart if climbed on by a bunch of young men of normal weight. In the book the barricade is mostly paving stones. They rip up a huge section of the street to make it.

I don't remember what it looked like in the movie. Need to see it again.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Have you seen pics of real French barricades? There are very early photographs of 1848 barricades and......well, I would take the stage version any day!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Acaila wrote:Have you seen pics of real French barricades? There are very early photographs of 1848 barricades and......well, I would take the stage version any day!

The stage version is certainly more vivid. The photos I saw (hopefully 1848 but maybe 1870) in a quick search show a lot of paving stones, and wagons too. I did not see pictures of the back sides of the barricades in this very quick search ("image barricades photos 1848") but I don't know how reliable those terms are because it turned up a lot of etchings as well. Just thinking about cannons, though, I don't think the stage version would hold out for two minutes and even though there are no cannons in the stage show, if I remember right, it bothers me. Looks more like an abatis than a barricade, something to slow them down while you fall back and...? In the book I can't remember if they have two or three barricades (the main one and at least one smaller in the Rue Mondetour but the third way out is open? Need to re-read).

Just my opinion, no intent to argue especially against an expert.

If I get the picture right, in the book there was an opening at one end (why?) and the grapeshot bounced in against the building wall and wounded a bunch of people. Hence the mattress.

Return to “General Discussion”