The Rant thread

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Gervais

Re: The Rant thread

Postby Gervais » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:32 pm

I could see asexual Fantine, but aromantic I can't see at a l l. Her loving Felix is what makes her whole story happen. :|

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:06 am

So these guys came up with an "Anti Date Rape Drug" nail polish that'll change colors when put in contact with, well, date rape drugs. Personally, I think it's a great idea. Wish that it didn't have to exist, but as I tried to put it before, a life jacket is nice to have until you can reach the shore. (I originally had this on tumblr, then figured I liked my message box hate-free).

People are complaining about it because it's "victim blaming" and "problematic" and "insulting to rape victims." :| One I saw most recently pointed out that it did nothing for people whose rapes didn't involve drugs, but the whole point of the thing is pointing out the drugs. No, it doesn't do much for the others, but it doesn't "erase" or "insult" other victims; it tries to keep the total number from going up. It represents a shitty culture, yeah. But don't blame the life jacket for the fucking ocean.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Fandom's being crappy again. Anons/sfp need to get their head out their butts because what happened the other night was horrible. Also I'm drowning in self pity and need to be slapped out of it.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Postby 23623 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:43 am

Sorry for reviving this! :oops: So I'll be in Europe this summer and in the US when the fall semester starts, but due to travel plan clashes I can't go to Berlin to see Tanz der Vampire while I'm in Europe and I can't see Les Mis before it closes while I'm in the US either. In other words I'm going to miss the opportunity to see my favorite musical and my favorite non-English musical on stage. I'm so depressed now. :(
Revolution, but civilization

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:01 pm

So . . . Cameron Mackintosh, our favourite producer/copyright holder in the theatre world, came out with an announcement yesterday that he wanted understudies in his shows to refrain from posting on social media about when they'd be on, and that making those announcements was the job of the production. Even though productions almost never say that understudies will be on, other than the notes in the Playbills after people have already paid for their tickets. *headdesk*

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Yeah, that seems really dickish. The only rationale I can see is that they want to avoid people not booking tickets for those times because the stars won't be on, but frankly, if you're paying attention to the twitter of the guy playing Brujon (picked at random, not thinking of anyone specific), then you're the sort of person who will be booking tickets for the slightest excuse.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:27 am

Indeed... And also, if you're a big enough fan of the main star to want to avoid understudies, you'll likely be checking their Twitter or other social media to see whether or not they're performing on a given day. Or you'll see the notice in the Playbill and then go to the box office and ask for a refund (which would happen regardless of whether anyone said anything on social media).

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:42 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:So . . . Cameron Mackintosh, our favourite producer/copyright holder in the theatre world, came out with an announcement yesterday that he wanted understudies in his shows to refrain from posting on social media about when they'd be on, and that making those announcements was the job of the production. Even though productions almost never say that understudies will be on, other than the notes in the Playbills after people have already paid for their tickets. *headdesk*

This is all so dumb. So undeniably, incredibly stupid. Mackintosser strikes again. :roll:

This is a bit of a silly thing to rant about but the powers that be at school are making us censor stuff, like the "shit" and "bastard" in master of the house, and some things in lovely ladies. You know, the song that's sung by prostitutes. *facetable*
I've fought for our Mme T to say "arse" with the he argument that I said it in Singin in the Rain, and we did My Fair Lady a few years ago and Eliza says it then, so that's not being changed, but loads of other lyrics are being tweaked.
:roll: Seriously, those are the lyrics. They're in the school production libretto. The school down the road that's more catholic than we are didn't change it when they did the show a few years back. What's the problem?!
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Stay tuned on my own thoughts on the matter! School team decided today and will be seeking permission tomorrow to do Les Mis, and the debate has already come up of "but there are prostitutes and a pimp". I have said I will happily go toe to toe with anyone who wants to discuss its appropriateness in a religious school considering the whole bloody show is about religion. I was pretty much hyperventilating over the thought of it turning into Blacklick.
I'm intending, once we have got rights organised, to point to the bit in the license agreement about not changing stuff, even though I've already muttered about wanting to add the first verse of Stars and the Confrontation counterpoint back in.
I was just thinking in the car home though, that the film is far more graphic (in terms of showing Fantine with a punter) than the stage version and that was a 12A so it's hardly "adult" in its material.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:15 am

Acaila wrote:Stay tuned on my own thoughts on the matter! School team decided today and will be seeking permission tomorrow to do Les Mis, and the debate has already come up of "but there are prostitutes and a pimp". I have said I will happily go toe to toe with anyone who wants to discuss its appropriateness in a religious school considering the whole bloody show is about religion. ....
I was just thinking in the car home though, that the film is far more graphic (in terms of showing Fantine with a punter) than the stage version and that was a 12A so it's hardly "adult" in its material.

Yes, that was definitely graphic.

How are the arguments going about the hot-stuff content?
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:37 pm

If you hear a very loud grinding noise, it'll be my teeth , put it that way.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:07 pm

Acaila wrote:If you hear a very loud grinding noise, it'll be my teeth , put it that way.

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:This is a bit of a silly thing to rant about but the powers that be at school are making us censor stuff, like the "shit" and "bastard" in master of the house, and some things in lovely ladies. You know, the song that's sung by prostitutes. *facetable*
I've fought for our Mme T to say "arse" with the he argument that I said it in Singin in the Rain, and we did My Fair Lady a few years ago and Eliza says it then, so that's not being changed, but loads of other lyrics are being tweaked.

Believe me, y'all, if y'all were putting it on in Texas it would be way worse.

They did My Fair Lady once at my high school and Eliza basically whispered "Arse," totally losing the effect.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:27 am

I got a phone call today asking me to highlight and edit all the naughty words. Said that if we are sticking so rigidly to the rider re. Publicity then we have to do it for lyrics, and you can't rewrite majority because the songs won't rhyme or scan with changes.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:13 am

Acaila wrote:I got a phone call today asking me to highlight and edit all the naughty words. Said that if we are sticking so rigidly to the rider re. Publicity then we have to do it for lyrics, and you can't rewrite majority because the songs won't rhyme or scan with changes.

Definitely keep us posted. I'm interested how this is going to play out.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:51 pm

There were a few developments today actually, but alas it's all very hush hush, but I got some of the details about why people are worried about it and it's not just the whole religious dimension apparently but a lot of internal politics. I've agreed to change a couple of the worst wee words so we can sneak others through, e.g. "comforter, philosopher and life long git" is no big loss.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “General Discussion”