The Rant thread

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Freespirited

Re: The Rant thread

Postby Freespirited » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm so glad I joined. This is the most intelligent discussion I've seen on the subject matter anywhere.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains fall out.

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:50 am

Apparently there's this thing called tumblr savior that you can use to block unwanted tags. If it becomes stressful and insane, that could be useful.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:34 pm

To be honest, I don't believe in censorship. Everyone kind of is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is entitled to utter it. Everyone is entitled to think the uttered opinion is crap.
While I would wish for a more rational discussion, I don't believe in silencing voices.

But that's personal preference
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 pm

It's hardly censorship, just a choice not to read things you don't want to, with no attempt at silencing people. Heck, I actively encourage my followers on twitter to filter certain hashtags if I'm going to be livetweeting something so I don't clog up their feeds with something they might not be interested in. I don't use it on tumblr but more because people are rubbish at tagging. Otherwise I would be delighted not to have any more One Direction on my dash!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:04 am

True in a sense in the general case, but as controversially as this is discussed, it would feel like putting my fingers into my ears going lalala; especially since I'm kind of in that discussion being an E/E writer (I surely don't participate in that wank, but well..).

On the other hand, I'm not easily triggered, and on top of that for all the satisfaction that people are drawing from being banned by the right crowd... I'd rather be slightly amused at the stupidity of a discussion, to be honest.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Freespirited

Postby Freespirited » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:35 am

I don't use tumblr saviour (except when True Blood is on and I'm trying to avoid spoilers :D ) but then I don't actively look at the tags for E/E every day. Like has been said before it's not the place to be for a rational discussion on the subject. Those voices are there, but it's the non-sensical ones just spoiling for a fight that override the others at the moment.

My other rant is that I'm on the forum instead of updating the next chapter for my fic. *rants at self*
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains fall out.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:15 am

Freespirited wrote:The Enjonine tag is horrible. Just horrible. A vile tag of hatred on both sides. I avoid it when I can, and if I dare to look I always wish I didn't. I think a lot of people don't understand that crackships or any ships are just another form of fantasy.

I'm on Tumblr but I don't tag my fic link as Enjonine. No way, no how :|

I understand. I just signed up for tumblr and I was shocked to see what some of the E/R shippers are saying about those who ship E/E and vice versa. We are talking fanfiction here and just because I ship Enjonine instead of Enjoltaire does not make me a homophobe. I've toyed with the idea of writing an E/R story one day but I just can't seem to stop shipping E/E because I love them together.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:51 am

Exactly my sentiments, CeridwenLynne.

Wish we can all just ship in peace.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

saminana

Postby saminana » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Not quite the same topic. But being in school alone for 2 hours is just boring... :roll:
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:35 pm

This is probably a stoopid (yes I know I spelled it wrong. It was intentional) thing to rant about, but I am still incredibly, incredibly pissed with this miserable old cow of a violinist who co ran my music course last week. Not only did she obviously favour her own students, she made sure that myself and the other pupils of my teacher (whose house we were staying in, might I add) had considerably less important things to do. For the first four days I bit my lip and kept quiet, but yesterday I hit the limit. Yesterday was concert day and I was freaking out because the little finger on my right hand was playing up and making things difficult, but that was basically the only thing I was worried about. Then, about two hours before the concert started when we were doing our pre-concert run through, I got my violin out to play one of the first violin parts for some Bach concerto we were doing. I really liked it because I was a) actually playing violin and b) playing first violin and c) I found the part really easy to play. Then, the woman turns round and says, "Oh no, there's one too many first violins, *insertmynamehere*, you have to go and play viola"
I then objected, saying that she was supposed to be playing viola in that particular concerto as I was playing viola in basically everything else. Her argument was that she didn't want to, so I had to. I was paired with the only other viola player in our group and she, although she was a really lovely person and I liked her alot, rushed through each moment and as the violas were acting as the continuo, the pace nearly got mucked up. Not to mention I was sightreading a piece we were playing in two hours.
So that ticked me off monumentally, but then, when I got ready to play one of the movements of Vivaldi's Spring concerto, the woman suddenly said, "Oh, we've decided to have one per part on this movement". As I was playing principal second violin in Spring, I shrugged and stayed where I was, but then the woman says, "Oh *insertmynamehere*, you're not nearly experienced enough to play this properly"
I'm sorry, but saying I have little experience is a bit of a kick in the nuts. I've been playing violin for nearly ten years, I could play as well as the others on this course, most of whom were four years older than me. So, the other second violin in that movement ended up playing, and I hate to say it, but he was out of tune.
I'm still reasonably annoyed, because I ended up playing violin in one piece, where I was originally going to be playing in three. I know playing viola is useful and I enjoy it, but violin is a passion of mine and I just don't get to anymore. I don't know what's ticked me more, the woman or the fact I don't get to play violin anymore.

What point am I trying to convey here? I don't even know.

I should get used to this kind of thing really, but it's still annoying.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm so sorry Phan, that is completely unfair! I've never played with a group before, I do piano solos, so I can't really perfectly relate to it, but you do not deserve to be treated like that! I could go off on a rant about how age does NOT equal talent, but I'm just going to say that people should NOT make announcements about how they think someone performs when: 1- they aren't true; and 2- are completely uncalled for. Also, I specially hate people who play favorites. I've had WAY to much experience with it, so I can not express how much I feel for you on this one. I fancy that you know your ability better than she, so this isn't at all a stupid thing to be pissed off about. I wish I had advise on how to deal with people like her, but as far as I know, there's nothing you can do about it, so stay strong, and try not to let people get in the way of doing what you love.
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks so much for your kind words, R. :) And hey, you're a pianist? Cool! I can play piano but I suck ass at most things, so it's not something I show off a lot. Heh.
I know that, as a person who wants to go to music college, I have to take stuff like annoying directors in my stride. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be annoyed. :evil:
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Feel like curling into a ball and crying now after seeing my grades in Opthalmology. I knew I wasn't such a good shot at this class, but now the possibility of removal exams or worse is looming.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Oh Relly :( *smishes* That's rotten. Can you try and get some feedback and some help from your tutors to make sure you get a good run at a resit?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Well the thing is much of the batch is doing bad at Opthalomology anyway. And historically it's been a subject that has a 'high mortality' even among upper batches. At least I'm getting some pointers from friends/other students who are better at this than I am. But it's still a pain in the rear.

Return to “General Discussion”