The Rant thread

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Mademoiselle Lanoire

The Rant thread

Postby Mademoiselle Lanoire » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 pm

So, what's been pissing you off lately? Let off steam here!

Between my dog being a pain in the ass, the weather, and PMS, I'm pretty damn annoyed today.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Well, let's see...

I've mentioned before that my roommate and I never really say anything to each other. Despite that, we've developed some unspoken rules. The TV rules are that anyone alone in the room has the right to turn on the TV and watch whatever they want for as long as they want. If the person without the remote goes to bed, the person with the remote should be somewhat respectful of that (ie turn out the lights, turn the volume down) but can keep watching their show until it's finished.

That said, I love watching Jon Stewart, Frasier, and Conan. Jon comes on at 11:00, Frasier comes on at midnight, and Conan stays on till about 2:00. I never used to have a problem catching those shows, as Roommate was always out partying or something and, as we live in substance-free housing, she wasn't allowed to be inebriated here, so she spent the night at her boyfriend's apartment. But lately she's taken to turning on the TV while she does her homework, and by the time I come back from work (usually before 10:00) she's already watching some inanity on VH1 or MTV, like a celebrity rap battle or dance-off or something equally IQ-depleting. And she watches these until about 1:00, when she turns off the TV and goes to bed.

So... I started taking my laptop over to the second-floor lobby after work, studying until the other studying people left, and then turned on the TV in there just in time for Jon or the moment of zen or whatever. But as long as I caught Frasier I was okay, seeing how Conan and Jon both have their shows online by the next day... BUT THEN. This stupid couple from a nearby dorm started hanging out in the lobby and making out all night. I still go in and plop down on a couch, waiting for them to leave so I can watch my shows, but they'll freaking stay until, like, 3:30! WHICH MEANS. I haven't seen Frasier in about a week.

Woe, right?

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:42 am

As of now I have several major papers due, plus a presentation to make by Wednesday. Also, I have limited time to shoot a documentary on housing issues. I also have a major biology test next week and I swear, I cannot do much about memorizing cat muscles. To top it off, I am a project leader for my class' community service tutorial work. It's a lot of fun, but that means I get very little rest during the weekends.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:12 pm

A rant thread! Brilliant!

Five things that are making my blood boil:

1. Thumbelina. I'm currently in a production of it, and I dread to think what will happen when the rest of the production team have had enough of the retarded pranks the leads are pulling.

2. Gregorio 'Gregory' Veñegas, my nephew. He's lost his halo and now carries a pitchfork around. Two days ago he set the antique couch at home on fire, along with my Dark Angel, Supernatural, and LOTR dvds, not to mention his mum's new favourite pair of shoes (that I've had my eye on since they were purchased last week).

3. My sous chef. I may have posted a rant about him sometime last year on lj, and here we go again. The kid's a bloody walking disaster. He's still unable to properly mince, let alone catch a potato. Le sigh.

4. The blasted garden party that I've just been to. Teenagers gone srsly emo after being dragged out of their rooms by their over zealous mummies and daddies are definitely NOT my cup of tea.

5. Marriage. Ngh.
Last edited by Savoire Faire on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm

(Oh my! 0_0 Oh, incidentally, are you married and annoyed with your marriage or are you unmarried and annoyed about the expectation that you get married?)

All right, kiddies! Today's rant is about ENJOLRAS! Can you say Enjolras? ME NEITHER!

No, seriously. I don't speak French, so I usually don't even try and say "in-JOEL-riss.' Yes, I'm so Southern. But, I mean, his name isn't even stated in the musical, which is how I learned how to pronounce many of the other names.

But this rant isn't about his name, it's about how much I really, really dislike that guy and can't understand his popularity. I was already familiar with the musical (at least the OBC and TAC) when I first read the book, and Enjolras was one of my favourite characters. Heck, he gets all the best songs, he wears a kick-butt vest, he holds up a gun, and he's all excitable and charismatic and stufff. I love Michael Maguire AND Anthony Warlow the same (sorry, guys, I think they have different strengths and weaknesses, and Mr. Maguire's awesome vibrato and emotion in his voice/performance balance out his nasalness and flatness).

Everyone kept telling me that in the book, Enj was way cooler than the flat GI Joe from the musical (pretty much all the characters in the musical are flat except for Valjean, who is wonderfully portrayed, and Javert), and I assumed it was kind of like the Harry Potter book-to-screen transition, where all of the characters lose their personalities.

Then I read the book. My first thought was, "Mmm, Enjolras is boring. Dunno why people like him." I mean, what's the fun of a guy with no hormones, no sense of humour, and no mercy or compassion for those around him? Sure, he's handsome, but he's not even a person, he's a well-formed ice sculpture.

I basically ignored Enjolras when I read the book and focused in on Marius, who is a bit of a sentimentaldork but still a lovely character and an interesting mixture of heroic and timid, Courfeyrac, whom I adore, Grantaire, who is awesome, and Bossuet and Joly, who are adorkable (adorable and dorky). But because I'm doing a modernized, Americanized Les Misérables story, I reread the book a few days ago, and I noticed something:

Enjolras is the least pleasant character I think I've ever laid my eyes on. At least Javert has a sense of humour (however subtle) and emotions. At least Thenardier... well, actually Thenardier's kind of awesome. He's a tiggeriffic villain, and I have a feeling that if he wasn't so ugly, I'd be kind of attracted to him. At least Montparnasse is friendly to Gavroche and has an actual personality (I adore Montparnasse). Any villain from any book or movie has more emotion, personality, grounded realism, or sense of humour than Enjolras. (Even Voldemort makes jokes.) I just don't get it.

Enjolras kills people with no flicker of emotion, then sermonizes on it. He shows no fear right before he's killed, no happiness about anything, no respect or regard for those around him. He only cares about The People, but doesn't give a fig about people. He expects everyone else to be exactly like him, will listen to no other point of view, and he never makes a single joke or laughs. He takes himself incredibly seriously, even more seriously than Javert takes himself.

I think the most telling way to describe him was when Combeferre urged those with families to go home and no one does. Then Enjolras goes, "I order you." And Marius says, "I beseech you."

I see no redeeming qualities in Enjolras except for being handsome, brave, and devoted, which can be said for pretty much any villain. I have no idea why so many people like him, how anyone can stomach to write fanfiction about him, how people can possibly fantasize about someone so inhuman and cold. Basically, I hate that guy, and this is my rant. Because I've commented about my distate for Enj on other boards, and I figured I might as well put it all in one place.

Enjolras is my least-favourite fictional character. Thank you.
Last edited by Schmerg_The_Impaler on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:37 pm

*standing ovation*

Hear, hear!

*awaits the attack of... everyone else on the forum*

Arduenna

Postby Arduenna » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Enjolras is a good person, even if he isn't a very nice person. He cares so deeply about eradicating inequality, and I admire that. You're right about him being cold and inhuman. The Enjolras in my day dreams is quite a bit warmer. But I think Hugo wrote him more to represent an ideal than to be a realistic, well-rounded character.

Anyway, on to my rant. I feel I may contribute to this thread a lot.

Why can't I go ONE day without tripping up in public?! And it's only in public I trip up. At home I'm graceful. But in public I'm falling over, walking into walls, dropping things oin my feet...Basically acting like a big klutz.

I just had the worst day at school. My classmates are idiots. They were messing around so much in PE that our teacher made us sprint across the field. And it's a huge field. And today in PSE, a certain classmate that I have to work with just acted like a complete brat. She yelled abuse at the one the guys we were working with, and threw a huge tantrum when things didn't go her way, and shouted at me for no reasons. :roll:

Honestly, some people just suck.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Of course they do. Loads of people suck.

As for Enjolras... he represents an ideal, he's an "idealized" version of Saint-Just (which in itself is a reason for me to like him :D ). He's, as Robespierre so nicely worded it, "unbearable as the principles", honour and virtue brought to such perfection that it has become inhuman. His portrayal reminds me of the scene in FotR when Galadriel explains to Frodo the consequences of her taking the Ring, that the good she would be with such an immense power would be so much "magnified" that it ceases to be good for the world, and in the vision Frodo has she is described as "beautiful beyond enduring". I must admit I only truly understood the meaning of this when Robespierre "explained it to me".

So basically, "bad can come from good", and that seems to me to be one of the points Enjolras's character is proving. On the other hand, I can't but admire his courage and unwavering dedication, and his being consequent in his principles and therefore beign ready to die for his ideal.

So, rant... I totally forgot what I wanted to rant about originally.

Anyway, I might add a little rant that Vincent Cassel didn't get nominated as Best Supporting Actor.

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Well, I understand that Enjolras is more of an ideal than a person (hence my annoying babble on that Enjolras/Grantaite thing) and that he's meant to exemplify that. He's described as a "charming young man who could become terrible," or something like that. I think Enjolras is not a good best buddy, but he's very good at being Enjolras. He serves his purpose well, like most unpleasant characters.

What I don't understand, and what my rant is about, is why everyone loves him so much. I just don't understand that... I was totally surprised when I saw the huge fangurlishness on the internet, everyone saying "ENJOLRAS IS SOOOOOOOO HAWT!" Because he's quite obvious the opposite of hot. He's nothing but cold.
Last edited by Schmerg_The_Impaler on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:28 pm

^ Except for his face. :wink:

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:13 am

What can I say? I have a thing for fanatical, repressed, pretty, blonde boys?

*Shrugs*

Oh, god. My entire week could fit on this thread.

Like, how my mother-unit thinks that by putting 'devouring palpitating hearts' as my facebook activities will attract Hannibal Lector's to my door step

...like the fact that she found out I had a facebook and my computer could hook up to the internet...

Which majorly sucked.

Got screamed at...

But that's the only internet account they know and think I have. So my ff.net, lj, and abaisse account are safe. *breathes sigh of relief*
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:34 am

New rant!

TVLand. :evil:

Excuse me, sir, but your job is supposed to be showing old school TV shows from my parents' youth. I want to see things like Get Smart, Batman, and Shazam. So why the heck are you taking up so much air time with original series like this High School Reunion thing, or with showing movies like The Jerk? If I wanted to see The Jerk, I'd run out and rent it, or wait till it came on any other channel. Any channel might show The Jerk or make up some stupid new reality series--TVLand is supposed to show the old stuff! If TVLand won't show an old series that isn't out on DVD, the only way for us to see it is pray someone manages to post something on youtube! This isn't fair to anybody, and it really makes me unhappy.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:39 am

I am not going to say much about the Enjolras-hate thing, mainly because I could rant about the people who bash him, and could go pretty long too. Quite frankly I don't think everyone even gets him. And I don't just mean the musical-only fans who only like the pretty-boy GI-Joe who waves a big red flag. I mean the people who (claim to) have read the book and hate him-- mostly because they don't understand him, his ideals, and/or his motivations. "la la I don't get the point, so I don't like him" and yes that's different from realising, "God the man's a heartless and cold bastard, I hate him." Look, I didn't like the guy until after I was seventeen and had read the book three or four times already. The ideal of revolutionary aspirations, and nothing more. The man who looked a boy, who dreamed of nothing more than his Patria and her glory. There's something beautiful in all of that, his ... I hate to say selflessness, but he thinks and does only for something greater than himself. It takes more than just a cursory read-through of the Brick to catch the true essence of his character, and while I can't say I know every line of those long and almost epic speeches, I can say there is something to them that you just don't see until you're looking for it. Hugo wrote Enjolras very deliberately to be not a human, but a personification of a glorious ideal, and you really have to read him and understand him as such -- not as a person. *shrugs* I'm not sure I'd like the man if I met him either, but the character and the ideals he stands for is something else altogether. I've written pages upon pages upon pages of rant and ramble and meta about Enjolras, most of it not online, because there's something really complex there that's not glaringly obvious. Forgive me if I say the haters are ignorant because in my experience they are. Especially since I myself wasn't a fan of les amis until that third or fourth read through when I finally did get the politics and the real truth and implication of the boys. I readily admit to skimming that whole chapter the first two times I read it because I couldn't care less. Now--now I see the interest and the point and yes, the beauty of Enjolras that can not be explained just by his pretty face alone.

Anyway, I hate my job, I hate my company, that whole place can suck it and kiss my ass. BAH. I'm too lazy to rant about them but holy crap I could go on every single day if I really wanted to. And you know what, it's Friday, so I don't particularly want to.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:21 am

Schmerg_The_Impaler wrote:(Oh my! 0_0 Oh, incidentally, are you married and annoyed with your marriage or are you unmarried and annoyed about the expectation that you get married?)

Unmarried and annoyed by the expectation that I get married and sprout kiddies.

SylvieProuvaire1832 wrote:Like, how my mother-unit thinks that by putting 'devouring palpitating hearts' as my facebook activities will attract Hannibal Lector's to my door step

That's not a bad thing.
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

Citizen_Aku

Postby Citizen_Aku » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:24 am

Okay, Enjolras is kind of a jerk. I'll agree with you there. And he's way too idealistic and unemotional for his own good. I don't admire him, and I don't like him. But I don't hate him. I find him really interesting because of his flaws.

He is not realistic. At all. He doesn't understand people, he understands abstractions, so he doesn't think to consider people and their feelings, thus the "I order you" thing. He does expect everyone else to be just like him, because he thinks it's the only sensible way to be. He just doesn't get why anybody would think differently-- about anything. He is an ideal himself, so he works on the level of ideals (i.e. The People vs. actual people).

Whoa! *has epiphany that will probably seem very stupid when she looks at it three hours later* Enjolras totally has Asperger's syndrome! He's completely fixated on one thing, has trouble understanding other people, doesn't express his emotions in his body language much, and "speechifies" whenever he talks to anyone! Seriously, look it up.
Real men fight by singing in counterpoint.

98% Machiavellian and demmed proud of it!

Return to “General Discussion”