The Rose of Versailles

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Rachelle

The Rose of Versailles

Postby Rachelle » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Has anyone else watched this?? I figured at least a few of you might have. I've just finished the last episode and I'm really considering going back to the beginning and starting over again, I enjoyed it that much. I cannot recommend it enough, or more correctly I cannot recommend it enough if you are a fan of:
Shoujo anime/manga
French history (as long as you can cope with inaccuracy from time to time)
Really over the top romantic stuff.

If you like one of the above you'll probably like it. If you liked two you'll probably love it and if, like me, you are a fan of all three, you will get really obsessed!

Ok, I'm definitely going to watch it again.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

TheRandomPhangirl

Re: The Rose of Versailles

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:10 pm

THIS IS MY FAVOURITE ANIME EVERRRRRRRRRR *cough*
Pardon the squeaks! No but really, I started watching ROV two years ago and I love it!

And Oscar reminds me of Enjolras, for obvious reasons
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Don't apologise. I feel the exact same about it. I've started reading the manga now but it's only a matter of time before I watch the anime again.
Have you seen the film as well? I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 pm

I watched the film, but I didn't like it as much as I thought it would. Mainly because André was an ass and Bernard and Rosalie just *appeared* without any further question. I like how Rosalie was introduced in the manga and anime, as well as the story with her sister and mother.
Big bug was André died without Oscar there and Oscar didn't at all and it just felt...flat. But I suppose it'd be quite difficult to transfer a 40 episode anime into a two hour tv movie and still have it be as whole so..meh
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:39 pm

See I thought it was going to be really awful and it wasn't as bad as I expected. It's nowhere near as good as the anime but there are certain bits that I actually preferred the anime. For example, when Oscar's meant to be getting married off, in the anime her would-be groom is Gerodere who is a nice guy throughout the series but in the movie its a really creepy guy so when Oscar turns up at the ball in the shiny white uniform it's much more dramatic, even without the shoujo sparkles.

You mentioned Bernard, he is actually one of my major gripes with the show because he's kinda meant to be Camille Desmoulins and he isn't. It just bothers me that they went halfway with it and didn't just put Camille in as a character in his own right as they did with Saint-Just and Robespierre. I love his convo with Saint-Just when Robespierre sends him to follow SJ. SJ kinda gets a bit of a character assasination (quite literally), which doesn't really bother me as I'm not that much of a Saint-Just fan, so I find it quite amusing.

Return to “General Discussion”