JACOBIN CLUB

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Re: JACOBIN CLUB

Postby CeridwenLynne » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Another Saint Just here!
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Oh dear, so many Saint Justs!! I'm scared now. :shock:
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:49 pm

With a wild swing in the dark, guess who I got :wink:
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Marat gained his MD at St Andrews University!! What???

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Maxime, you probably got Robespierre.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:32 pm

I do believe that Thermidor has taken over my tumblr. :lol:

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 am

I got Saint-Just as well! :D
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:47 am

Am I the only Camille here? All these Saint-Justs are making me nervous. :|

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:32 am

Rachelle wrote:Am I the only Camille here? All these Saint-Justs are making me nervous. :|

Hello Camille :wink: I'm Saint-Just.

(Combeferre (Bricklayer) got Camille, and as the creator of the quiz I can see what results everybody got- Camille is in the lead.)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Postby 23623 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:33 am

Ooooooh damn...so there is a French Revolution thread. :shock: Seems that I'm really late for the discussion of "La Révolution française". :oops: Anyway, here's the full video with English subtitles on Youtube, which is the version I watched last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SP4iii_THQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-6ruyZFfZs

My understanding of the French Revolution is rather superficial, like, I sort of know who does what when and where from random history books, but nothing really detailed like exactly what articles Desmoulins had written, so I have no idea how accurate this film is. But what it presents does make me see the French Revolution from a different perspective. I used to have a really childish obsession of the French Revolution in my teenage years. I totally idealized it. Committing oneself to the glorious cause of revolution, destroying the godawful monarchy and giving people their rights -- I wished so badly I could do something as heroic! But honestly, at that time I had never thought about what came along with the revolution and what had become of the "republic". Now I've come to realize that this "glorious" revolution could be rather barbaric sometimes and that the ideals they had held sacred at the beginning were actually lost in the end. My knowledge about French history is really poor (something I'm determined to change) so I can't come up with any explanation myself of why that happened. I've been planning some serious reading about the French Revolution for some time but other things keep getting in the way. Now I really need to set aside some time to do this as my interest seems to have been re-triggered.

Random note 1: I love Charlotte Corday. She's awesome. And so are Desmoulins and Lafayette.
Citizens, I'm sorry, I feel super annoyed by Saint Just. :x There's no way I'm going to like book-Enjolras if he's based on that brainless Robespierre fanboy. Am I a bad person for feeling this way?

Random note 2: The actress who played Marguerite in Pimpernel was Marie Antoinette in this film! I was so tempted to jump to the execution scene (which somehow made me a bit sad...I'm sorry, I know I'm a bad person for being a little sympathetic towards her) when I noticed that. :D

I wondered for a while what you had been talking about before and found the link to the quiz on the previous page. Guess who I've got?
Louis XVI
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Now I'm definitely the bad person for...whatever I've done.
Asked my best friend to do this and she got Saint Just. Oh gosh...I'm scared. Really really scared.

*EDIT* fixed some grammar
Last edited by 23623 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 pm

23623 wrote:Ooooooh damn...so there is a French Revolution thread. :shock: Seems that I'm really late for the discussion of "La Révolution française". :oops: Anyway, here's the full video with English subtitles on Youtube, which is the version I watched last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SP4iii_THQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-6ruyZFfZs

I am ALL about LRF. Every actor (except the aforementioned Dr. Quinn as Marie Antoinette) has formed my basis for picturing the historical figures in my head. Especially Danton and Desmoulins.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:05 am

Ok...bad person's back. Bad person just watched BBC's “Terror: Robespierre and the French Revolution” which managed to make her loathe every single member of the Committee. Bad person also begs for mercy because she doesn't want to get guillotined for saying this (especially in this thread). :oops:

I'm sorry, I truly HATE Robespierre et al after watching LRF and this documentary (wondering if it's due to biased portrayal). I actually sympathize more with Danton and Desmoulins. And a question for you, Victor Hugo, what were you thinking when you created Enjolras out of Saint Just or said they are similar or whatever...?? No, after two videos I still don't see much resemblance between these two. Funny that I've ranted in another thread about Ayn Rand being inspired by Hugo, which I still find really incredible. Seems that Hugo himself is also rather good at getting inspiration from the unlikeliest people, lol.

Also, I started reading "A Place of Greater Safety" this week. The fact (assuming the author's not making things up) that Robespierre and Desmoulins were childhood friends breaks my brain a little. :shock:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:21 pm

23623 wrote:Ok...bad person's back. Bad person just watched BBC's “Terror: Robespierre and the French Revolution” which managed to make her loathe every single member of the Committee. Bad person also begs for mercy because she doesn't want to get guillotined for saying this (especially in this thread). :oops:

"Terror: Robespierre and the French Revolution" is a very bad documentary. It takes two very, very biased and polarized historians and pits them against each other: Schama, whose overt vilification of Robespierre is eyeroll-inducing, and Slavoj Žižek who, as the world's biggest Robespierre apologist, is equally difficult to swallow. Between the two of them, you can't possibly get a good reading on who Robespierre was, not when one is directly comparing Robespierre to Hitler and the other thinks revolutionary bloodshed is "totally awesome, you guys!" (not a direct quote, but possible. "I paraphrase, I paraphrase.") The whole thing is a sensationalized account that leaves a lot of important factual information completely out and doesn't give us a moderate Robespierrist to even the playing ground.

Robespierre is usually portrayed as the ultimate villain of the French Revolution because we're looking at him through the tint of present-day culture and society. (Those of us in English-speaking countries have the added benefit of not only viewing him and the Revolution from a distinctly 21st Century standpoint, but because England went to war with France at the time and was afraid for its own Monarchy, there has always been distinct anti-French-Revolution feeling, even though it brought a lot of good to the world.)

Before you decide whether you think you hate him or not, you should look into more sources, especially primary ones. Avoid stuff written by Schama, because even though he wrote "Citizens," the French Revolution isn't really his passion or main area of expertise. It's sort of a fun game to play, keeping an eye out for buzzwords like "Robespierre was overthrown" that tell you where an author or article's bias lies. Robespierre is a gray area. You're free to make of that gray area what you will, but make sure you give yourself every opportunity to better understand it/him before you turn into a hate-spewing Simon Schama! ;) (Or a "he can do no wrong" screeching Slavoj Žižek.)

23623 wrote:Also, I started reading "A Place of Greater Safety" this week. The fact (assuming the author's not making things up) that Robespierre and Desmoulins were childhood friends breaks my brain a little. :shock:

Hooray for this! "A Place of Greater Safety" is so much fun, one of my favorites. Yes, Camille and Robespierre went to school together and in some accounts were childhood friends. At the greatest stretch: they were close, and at the least: they definitely knew each other.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:20 am

I found some excerpts from a ridiculously weird French Revolution book written by a Chinese author and spent the entire afternoon laughing. :lol:

I've posted an English translation here so you can all experience the weirdness with me. Be prepared for a bad fan fiction featuring damsel-in-distress Camille, actual Terror Danton, woobie Robespierre and Kung Fu master Saint-Just. :lol:

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:45 pm

23623 wrote:I found some excerpts from a ridiculously weird French Revolution book written by a Chinese author and spent the entire afternoon laughing. :lol:

I've posted an English translation here so you can all experience the weirdness . . .

I would not have believed anything could be that weird. It's as if somebody who's 13 years old and crazy besides wrote it.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “General Discussion”