Star Wars!

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Acaila

Re: Star Wars!

Postby Acaila » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:58 pm

So many people have thought that around me too! I've lost count of how many times I've had to explain where it falls in the chronology!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 pm

I've lost track of how many times I've had to explain that "many Bothans died" applies to the plans for 2nd Death Star , not the first and therefore not the events of Rogue One.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Not gonna lie, I did forget that at one point during the film and wondered where they were at.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:03 pm

I saw Rogue Two -- in other words, Rogue One twice in a row on opening day; :P -- and really adored it. Think it might be my favorite Star Wars film to date! Whereas the bloom is kind of off the rose on Ep. 7 for me... I still enjoy and appreciate it, and I love the return to practical effects as well as the writing and the cast; but I understand the criticism that it doesn't really do much new. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a remake of the original film, but yet another Hero's Journey tale without a whole lot of deviation from what they did with Luke, including a tragic mentor death and a mission to destroy a planet-killer, and it leaves me wondering if most of the accolades when it was released were more because it wasn't the prequels than due to anything explicitly in its favor (though if anyone wants to debate about that, I'm certainly open to having my mind changed). I hope Ep. 8 will innovate a bit more... It'll be interesting to see how Luke and Rey work together (and who her parents end up being). Even if they do a "Luke/Obi-Wan/Han/another known character is Rey's father or grandfather" or "Ben is her brother" twist, though, I doubt it'll be nearly as shocking as the twist in the OT simply because the fans are expecting something like that -- no matter what they do, at least a fifth of Tumblr will likely be going "I KNEW IT!" XD

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:28 am

So, has anyone else gotten to see Episode VIII: The Last Jedi? I saw it on opening day... Want to catch it a couple more times before I decide where I’d ultimately rank it in the series; but overall, I really enjoyed it! I gather that not all fans felt that way, though. What do Abaissé members who are SW fans think?

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Lifelong Star Wars fan, zero intention of seeing the Last Jedi. To me, it's like cementing a particular story line that I don't much care for in the mainstream consciousness and it's easier for me to pretend it never happened if I don't have to sit through it (though I did read all the spoilers immediately after the release so no one can shock me with where they went with it or anything.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I can't see TLJ in the cinema until January though I...kind of have seen it via spoilers. I don't know how much of what I've heard is true, but if all of that is true, I don't think I'm mentally prepared for this movie. :shock:
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:57 am

I went to a midnight opening. Enjoyed it, but not as much as TFA. Enjoyed the Star Wars ness of it but didn't think the narrative was that strong as a film in its own right.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Mark Hamill gave an interview months ago where he said he disagreed with Rian Johnson's fundamental understanding of Luke Skywalker, and more recently gave another one along the same lines followed by a quick, "but-go-see-the-movie-please-don't-kill-me-Disney" plug of the film.

If Mark Hamill's not even on board, how can anyone else be? :evil:

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:15 pm

Saw it today. I have mixed feelings. Some bits I liked, some bits I very much didn't.
Had a bit of a chuckle when Hugh Skinner (aka 2012 movie Joly) popped up though.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:16 am

Where was Hugh Skinner?
Luke's motivation at one point was hugely ooc assuming reliable narration so I think that's fair
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “General Discussion”