Les Mis Purity Quiz

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Marianne

Re: Les Mis Purity Quiz

Postby Marianne » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:02 am

Okay, fine. Cripes, this is gonna be embarrassing.

Brick
Have you read the unabridged book? Yes
Have you read more than one translation of the book? Yes
Do you have a self-annotated copy of the book? Yes--surprisingly few notes scribbled in the margins, but an unholy number of tape flags.
Do you own a vintage copy of the Brick? Yes--one Wilbour of unknown age (probably not that old) and one illustrated early-20th-century Wraxall.
Do you own or have access to all of the translations? No. Because I won't pay money for the Norman Denny version.
Have you read the book in the original French? Yes
Have you ever read Cosette or another spinoff? Yes--Pont-au-Change
Do you laugh at the sight of pears? Oh yes
Can you remember at least three words of argot? Yes, including some that I don't think Hugo even used in LM; 'tante' makes a very memorable appearance in Balzac.
Do you cry at the book? More often than I'd like to admit.
Have you ever tried to explain a Hugolian pun to someone who’s never read the Brick? Yup
Do you quote favourite lines from the Brick in French by default? Yes
Does your copy of the Brick fall open at a chapter that is particularly important to you? Hahahahaha. My Fahnestock/Macafee literally broke in two at Corinthe.
Can you identify the difference between translations without looking up the translator? Yes, for well-known passages (and for any long passage of Hapgood or Rose, who are pretty distinctive)
Do you have strong opinions on the difference between translations? Yes. Down with Hapgood, down with Denny! F/MA forever!
Have you read the apocrypha of draft material that didn't make it to the final novel? Heh, yes.
Do you know which translation has an extra barricade boy survive? Yes (this is actually a relic of an early French edition--not all of Hugo's last-minute corrections made it to the printer in time!)
Can you name the real life inspirations for five or more characters? Yes
Have you read another Hugo novel? Haha yes.
Have you read another Hugo novel that isn’t Notre-Dame de Paris? Quatrevingt-Treize and two novellas (Claude Gueux and Le Dernier Jour d'un Condamné); still working on Travailleurs de la Mer and L'Homme Qui Rit

Musical

Have you seen the musical on stage? Yes
Have you seen a professional production of the musical on stage? Yes
Have you seen more than one professional production (i.e. by different directors) of the musical on stage? Yes
Have you seen the musical more than five times? Yes
Have you seen the musical more than twenty times? Try more than ninety
Have you stagedoored after a performance? Yes
Do you own a video of one of the anniversary concerts? Yes
Did you attend one of the anniversary concerts? Sadly no
Do you own one of the official musical recordings? Yes
Do you own an official musical recording in a language other than your own? Yes
Do you own more than five official recordings? Yes
Do you own all of the official recordings? Yes
Have you gone to see another musical/play/concert because of an actor from Les Mis? Yes
Do you possess an unofficial recording? Yes
Do you possess more than 10? Yes
Do you possess more than 100? Yes (and I recorded several dozen of them)
Do you know every single lyric in the current version of musical? Yes
Do you still sing the CSR lyrics by default? Yes
Can you sing an entire song from the Original French version in French? Yes. Most of them, actually. Including several that weren't on the recording. Ditto the Paris revival lyrics. And large portions of the German version.
Have you seen live or purchased a recording of another B&S musical because of Les Mis? Yes

Films

Have you seen the musical movie (2012/2013)? Yes
Did you see the musical movie more than 5 times at the cinema? No (only twice, believe it or not)
Did you attend a showing of the movie in Les Mis themed attire? Yes
Do you have a copy of the shooting script? Yes
Have you seen Shoujo Cosette? No (only portions of it)
Have you seen Les Miseranimals? Yes
Have you seen the 2000 (Depardieu/Malkovich) miniseries? Yes
Have you seen the 1998 (Neeson/Rush) movie? Yes
Have you seen the 1995 (Belmondo) film? No
Have you seen the 1982 (Lino Ventura) version? Yes
Have you seen the 1978 (Jordan/Perkins) film? Yes
Have you seen the 1957 (Gabin/Blier) movie) Yes
Have you seen the 1952 (Rennie/Newton) film? No
Have you seen the 1947 I Miserabili (Cervi/Hinrich) film? No
Have you seen the 1935 (March/Laughton) film? No
Have you seen the 1934 (Baur/Vanel) film? Yes
Have you seen another film not on this list? No (can I make up this point if I've seen two separate French stage adaptations that weren't the musical? :p)
Do you have to watch film adaptations alone so that you don’t annoy others with incessant commentary? Yes
Have you imported a DVD from another country for the purposes of watching one? Yes
Have you listened to a radio/audio adaptation? Yes

Fandom

Do you post on Abaisse? Yes
Did you post on Le Café? No--didn't get into the fandom until 2005
Did you read The Barricade? It was before my time, but I've read issues that other people have scanned
Do you have a Les Mis related tumblr URL? Yes (tenlittlebullets)
Do you read Les Mis fanfiction? Yes
Do you write Les Mis fanfiction? Yes
Have you written a prompt on the kink meme? Yes
Have you written a fill on the kink meme? Hahaha yes
Have you read Christian Caron? Yes
Have you finished it? No
Have you read A Wasps’ Nest? Yes
Have you read fanfic by Marianne? Yes, in a manner of speaking :wink:
Have you read fanfic by Colonel Despard? Yes
Have you read fanfic by TheHighestPie? Yes
Have you read fanfic by MmeBahorel? Yes
Have you read fanfic by AMarguerite? Yes
Have you read fanfic by LesMisLoony? Yes
Have you published fanart on the internet? Yes, though it's crap and mostly buried
Have you made money out of fanart or other fan creations? No (unless you count getting school funding for trips to Digne and Montreuil-sur-Mer?)
Have you ever got involved in a shipping argument? Yes, to my chagrin

Obsession

Have you played Arm Joe? No
Have you visited a Les Mis site in France? ALL OF THEM
Have you cosplayed a Les Mis character to a public event? (full costume rather than vaguely reminiscent pieces) Yes--most recently, movie!Enjolras at Balticon
Have you identified intentional Les Mis references in other media? Yes
Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public? Yes (you'll pry my "it ain't over till the dead lady sings" shirt from my cold dead hands)
Have you read academic literature in the name of Les Mis research? Yes
Have you read academic literature in another language in the name of Les Mis research? Yes
Have you written an academic piece of work on Les Mis (any version)? Yes (though I had to think about this one--most of them were only tangentially related via historical research)
Have you named an inanimate real life object after a Les Mis character? Yes
Have you named a living thing after a Les Mis character? No (unless you count dubbing the ducks in a public park 'Marius' and 'Cosette' because one was an awkward stalker)
Do you celebrate (or otherwise mark) Barricade Day? Yes
Do you have a musical dreamcast from several different eras that includes understudies? Yes
Can you hold a conversation in French? Yes
Do you have a Les Mis ringtone set on your phone? No (it's the TARDIS noise)
Do you have particular habits that govern the way you appreciate Les Mis? (e.g. never listening to the finale outside a theatre, reading in a certain order) Yes--I never listen to recordings of it in the day or two before I see it live
Is your career/major influenced by your love of Les Mis? Hahaha yes--my first job out of college I only got because they needed a programmer who spoke French
When faced with a difficult decision or situation, do you determine your best course of action by thinking "what would [character] do?" Not really. Valjean has a good moral compass, but god does he needlessly screw himself over with it.
Do you have a crush on a character in Les Mis despite their fictional nature? Yes (ooh monsieur Enjolras oooooh)
Do you consider an appreciation of Les Mis to be an essential thing in a significant other? No, although having at least one of two fandoms in common is a good thing
Do you have a Les Mis themed tattoo? No

Extra credit

Brick – Find the Abaisse post that contains your most indepth and insightful analysis of the Brick and link to it. Score out of 5 points.

Oh Christ, do I have to? Okay, fine, for sheer jaw-dropping nitpicky nerdery, this thread (location of the Café Musain). For indepth analysis on a specific topic, this Éponine meta, probably. For the ENTIRE BOOK, my feelings about Hugo's feelings about history. There. You don't know how much self-control it took not to link to something in the "Enjolras: top or bottom?" thread.

Musical - Choose your favourite main character. Rank your top five performers in the role, giving reasons for each. Score out of 5 points.

Enjolras:
1. Aaron Lazar. Had the quiet, haunted intensity I imagine in Hugo's Enjolras: he smoldered, because he was burning from the inside out. And a sense of command that built itself on lack of motion: all he had to do was flick his finger and someone would do as he ordered. Not the physical or vocal type I'd imagine for Enjolras, but he had the inexplicable something that made him feel like Hugo's character.
2. David Thaxton. Very different from Lazar--all fierceness and boundless enthusiasm, with a side of "oooh revolution it's like Christmas come early only with more death." But brilliant, a Brick fanboy, good at translating his favorite aspects of the Brick onto the stage, fantastic voice, paid attention to his interactions with other barricade boys esp. Grantaire, and most importantly, pushed through enough character changes to make TPTB change the character typing for the whole role.
3. Jeremy Hays. Physically and vocally very much in line with how I picture Hugo's Enjolras, and a performance modeled off Aaron Lazar's. Good stuff.
4. Moving from live performances into recordings, Michel Sardou. Because yeah, that constrained intensity that I loved in Lazar's performance? He practically vibrates with it. Best DYHTPS ever, hands down.
5. Also going off recordings, Matt Cammelle. DAT VOICE. It's kind of like how I imagine Anthony Warlow would've sounded if he hadn't sounded like he was bored to tears on the CSR.

Film – Pick a film adaptation of your choice and name the five greatest crimes against Hugo committed in it. Score out of 5 points.

The 2000 French miniseries--the whole thing is made of The Bad Crack, but I'll just highlight John Malkovitch as Javert being John Malkovitch, Gérard Penis-nose Another-Classic-Lit-Notch-On-My-Belt Depardieu as Valjean apparently being in love with Cosette, Asia Argento as sleazeball Éponine offering to find Cosette's address in return for sexual favors, the fugliest Marius in the history of fug actually taking her up on it, and the Mysterious Non-Aging Gavroche who welcomes Valjean and little Cosette to Paris in 1823 and then is still the same age in 1832.

Fandom – Summarise what you think are the five biggest contributions to Les Mis fandom you have made. Score out of 5 points

1. Starting/modding the kink meme (which would not have been #1 a year ago, but it somehow became the most high-traffic place in the post-movie fandom)
2. I'm pretty damn proud of the LM tour guide, I've got to admit
3. Participating in and helping mod Abaissé, especially during the glory days of the Nerd Renaissance
4. The French lyrics transcription project and my PRC lyric translations
5. Archiving the musicals.net Les Mis forum before all the old threads got deleted

(Those are the most generally useful, I think. But I will always be super-proud of having organized a big fan meetup in Paris on Barricade Day 2010, and of the various historical research resources I've tried to make available. And of course it flatters my vanity that some of my fic seems to have infected other people's headcanons.)

Obsession – Tell us the most embarrassingly nerdy story of your Les Mis obsession. Score out of 5 points.

Okay... um, leaving aside the time I drove halfway across the United States to catch the 3rd National Tour closing, and the time I almost got locked in the Picpus garden-slash-cemetery overnight, and everything to do with Barricade Day 2010... at one point in fall 2007 my friends and I were such fixtures at the Broadway Les Mis stage door that Gavroche's mom recognized us and struck up a conversation. Upon hearing an enthusiastic account of what huge fans we were, she said "So I bet by now you've had the backstage tour and everything..." All our eyes light up simultaneously as we squeak "NO!" So she promised that Zach Rand, who was playing Gavroche that night, loved giving backstage tours and if we came back after the evening performance we could totally have one. On the condition that we would add to his collection of photos of people lying 'dead' on the barricade set.

So yes. We got a backstage tour. We got to climb the barricade. And somewhere in the dusty depths of a photo album, waiting for me to dig them out, are pictures of me and my friends sprawled 'dead' on the Broadway barricade.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:23 am

Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public? Yes (you'll pry my "it ain't over till the dead lady sings" shirt from my cold dead hands)

I promise I read the whole thing, but I got to this point and had to shoot you a virtual high five! Mine's falling apart; there's a big hole in the collar and near the hem at the bottom. But JUST BECAUSE IT CAN'T GO THROUGH THE WASH ANYMORE DOESN'T MEAN I WON'T STILL WEAR IT.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:33 am

How do you all have this much time on your hands? (in a good way)

And is it bad if I say I like the miniseries? It's total crack, but parts of it are cute. We get Cosette/Éponine interactions (though they kind of suck) and that scene with Gavroche and Éponine was adorable. Don't worry Asia Argento, I kind of hate your Éponine, but I'll defend that OOC cracky seen to the death!

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 am

Ugh my phone swallowed my reply!

I'm not ashamed to admit that the miniseries is my favourite of the non-musical versions. I don't mind a bit of crack.

Marianne - that Thaxton comment made me cackle too loudly for half six in the morning. May I steal for my sig?

Going backstage would have been a good one actually though that's so not embarrassing. It's awesome! Embarrassing is when told "go sing on the revolve while it moves" and the only song that pops into your head is Turning :oops: Of all the songs!

Em - what Geronimo said. See it as a checklist. Now go get started! :D

It's really interesting to see some of this actually! And think about where to go next for me (hitting 20 times being an obvious priority)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am

Acaila: the "Christmas only with more death" quote? That's loosely plagiarized from the Miserable Diaries, I think--and I forget who first applied it to Thaxton. Might've been duva back in DT's understudy days. In any case, quote away! And no need for attribution, since that's so tangled-up.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 pm

That was the one yes, thank you! :)

deHavilland wrote:

I promise I read the whole thing, but I got to this point and had to shoot you a virtual high five! Mine's falling apart; there's a big hole in the collar and near the hem at the bottom. But JUST BECAUSE IT CAN'T GO THROUGH THE WASH ANYMORE DOESN'T MEAN I WON'T STILL WEAR IT.

Smelling like a gamin just adds to the effect right? ;)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Brick
Have you read the unabridged book? yes
Have you read more than one translation of the book? no
Do you have a self-annotated copy of the book?no
Do you own a vintage copy of the Brick? I wish :(
Do you own or have access to all of the translations? no :(
Have you read the book in the original French? no
Have you ever read Cosette or another spinoff? no
Do you laugh at the sight of pears? no
Can you remember at least three words of argot? yes
Do you cry at the book? sob
Have you ever tried to explain a Hugolian pun to someone who’s never read the Brick? all the time
Do you quote favourite lines from the Brick in French by default? yes,often
Does your copy of the Brick fall open at a chapter that is particularly important to you? YES (Orestes Fasting & Pylades Drunk :cry: )
Can you identify the difference between translations without looking up the translator? sometimes
Do you have strong opinions on the difference between translations? yes
Have you read the apocrypha of draft material that didn't make it to the final novel? no
Do you know which translation has an extra barricade boy survive? no
Can you name the real life inspirations for five or more characters? no
Have you read another Hugo novel? some of one...
Have you read another Hugo novel that isn’t Notre-Dame de Paris? no

Musical
Have you seen the musical on stage? yes
Have you seen a professional production of the musical on stage? yes
Have you seen more than one professional production (i.e. by different directors) of the musical on stage? no
Have you seen the musical more than five times? no, but I relive it inside of my head
Have you seen the musical more than twenty times? no
Have you stagedoored after a performance? no
Do you own a video of one of the anniversary concerts? no
Did you attend one of the anniversary concerts? no
Do you own one of the official musical recordings? yes
Do you own an official musical recording in a language other than your own? yes
Do you own more than five official recordings? no
Do you own all of the official recordings? no
Have you gone to see another musical/play/concert because of an actor from Les Mis? no
Do you possess an unofficial recording? no
Do you possess more than 10? no
Do you possess more than 100? no
Do you know every single lyric in the current version of musical? yes
Do you still sing the CSR lyrics by default? yes
Can you sing an entire song from the Original French version in French? most of Donnez, Donnez
Have you seen live or purchased a recording of another B&S musical because of Les Mis? no

Films

Have you seen the musical movie (2012/2013)? yes
Did you see the musical movie more than 5 times at the cinema? no
Did you attend a showing of the movie in Les Mis themed attire? no
Do you have a copy of the shooting script?yes
Have you seen Shoujo Cosette?no
Have you seen Les Miseranimals? no
Have you seen the 2000 (Depardieu/Malkovich) miniseries? no
Have you seen the 1998 (Neeson/Rush) movie?no
Have you seen the 1995 (Belmondo) film? no
Have you seen the 1982 (Lino Ventura) version? no
Have you seen the 1978 (Jordan/Perkins) film? no
Have you seen the 1957 (Gabin/Blier) movie)no
Have you seen the 1952 (Rennie/Newton) film?no
Have you seen the 1947 I Miserabili (Cervi/Hinrich) film? no
Have you seen the 1935 (March/Laughton) film? no
Have you seen the 1934 (Baur/Vanel) film? no
Have you seen another film not on this list? no
Do you have to watch film adaptations alone so that you don’t annoy others with incessant commentary? YES YES YES
Have you imported a DVD from another country for the purposes of watching one? no
Have you listened to a radio/audio adaptation? yes

Fandom

Do you post on Abaisse? yes
Did you post on Le Café? no
Did you read The Barricade? no
Do you have a Les Mis related tumblr URL? don't have a tumblr
Do you read Les Mis fanfiction? yes
Do you write Les Mis fanfiction? no
Have you written a prompt on the kink meme? no
Have you written a fill on the kink meme? no
Have you read Christian Caron? no
Have you finished it? no
Have you read A Wasps’ Nest? no
Have you read fanfic by Marianne? yes
Have you read fanfic by Colonel Despard? yes
Have you read fanfic by TheHighestPie? no
Have you read fanfic by MmeBahorel? yes
Have you read fanfic by AMarguerite? no
Have you read fanfic by LesMisLoony? yes
Have you published fanart on the internet? no
Have you made money out of fanart or other fan creations? no
Have you ever got involved in a shipping argument? yes

Obsession

Have you played Arm Joe? no
Have you visited a Les Mis site in France? no
Have you cosplayed a Les Mis character to a public event? (full costume rather than vaguely reminiscent pieces) well, I walked around my street dressed as Éponine in the rain singing on my own :oops:
Have you identified intentional Les Mis references in other media? no
Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public? yes
Have you read academic literature in the name of Les Mis research? yes
Have you read academic literature in another language in the name of Les Mis research? no
Have you written an academic piece of work on Les Mis (any version)? no
Have you named an inanimate real life object after a Les Mis character? yes
Have you named a living thing after a Les Mis character? yes
Do you celebrate (or otherwise mark) Barricade Day? yes
Do you have a musical dreamcast from several different eras that includes understudies? not completely
Can you hold a conversation in French? no
Do you have a Les Mis ringtone set on your phone? I can't figure out how :oops:
Do you have particular habits that govern the way you appreciate Les Mis? (e.g. never listening to the finale outside a theatre, reading in a certain order) once I get to "Preliminary Gaiety," I don't stop reading 'til I'm done
Is your career/major influenced by your love of Les Mis? no
When faced with a difficult decision or situation, do you determine your best course of action by thinking "what would [character] do?" yes
Do you have a crush on a character in Les Mis despite their fictional nature? I literally have heartbroken moments over both R and E :oops:
Do you consider an appreciation of Les Mis to be an essential thing in a significant other? YES
Do you have a Les Mis themed tattoo? no

Extra credit

Obsession – Tell us the most embarrassingly nerdy story of your Les Mis obsession. Score out of 5 points.

For Barricade Day, I built a huge barricade, complete with flag in my living room. I reenacted and sang all the Barricade scenes, made red, white and blue cockades, sang incessantly, slept on the Barricade on the night of the 5th, and sang Turning while putting away the Barricade. I then finished singing the rest of the musical
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Brick
Have you read more than one translation of the book? yes (ongoing)
Do you have a self-annotated copy of the book?no
Do you own a vintage copy of the Brick? Define vintage?
Do you own or have access to all of the translations? no
Have you read the book in the original French? no
Have you ever read Cosette or another spinoff? no
Do you laugh at the sight of pears? YES
Can you remember at least three words of argot? yes
Do you cry at the book? Yes
Have you ever tried to explain a Hugolian pun to someone who’s never read the Brick? Yes
Do you quote favourite lines from the Brick in French by default? I write them down?
Does your copy of the Brick fall open at a chapter that is particularly important to you? Yes (What Horizon May Be Glimpsed From the Top of the Barricade)
Can you identify the difference between translations without looking up the translator? No
Do you have strong opinions on the difference between translations? Yes
Have you read the apocrypha of draft material that didn't make it to the final novel? Yes
Can you name the real life inspirations for five or more characters? No
Have you read another Hugo novel? Yes
Have you read another Hugo novel that isn’t Notre-Dame de Paris? Yes

Musical
Have you seen the musical on stage? No
Have you seen a professional production of the musical on stage? No
Have you seen more than one professional production No
Have you seen the musical more than five times? No
Have you seen the musical more than twenty times? no
Do you own a video of one of the anniversary concerts? Yes
Did you attend one of the anniversary concerts? no
Do you own one of the official musical recordings? yes
Do you own an official musical recording in a language other than your own? Part of the PRC
Do you own more than five official recordings? no
Do you own all of the official recordings? no
Have you gone to see another musical/play/concert because of an actor from Les Mis? no
Do you possess an unofficial recording? no
Do you possess more than 10? no
Do you possess more than 100? no
Do you know every single lyric in the current version of musical? No
Can you sing an entire song from the Original French version in French? A La Volonte Du Peuple, Voila Le Soir Qui Tombe :)
Have you seen live or purchased a recording of another B&S musical because of Les Mis? no

Films

Did you attend a showing of the movie in Les Mis themed attire? Yes
Do you have a copy of the shooting script? No
Have you seen Shoujo Cosette? Yes
Have you seen Les Miseranimals? no
Have you seen the 1998 (Neeson/Rush) movie? Yes
Have you seen the 1995 (Belmondo) film? no
Have you seen the 1982 (Lino Ventura) version? no
Have you seen the 1978 (Jordan/Perkins) film? no
Have you seen the 1957 (Gabin/Blier) movie)no
Have you seen the 1952 (Rennie/Newton) film?no
Have you seen the 1935 (March/Laughton) film? no
Have you seen the 1934 (Baur/Vanel) film? no
Do you have to watch film adaptations alone so that you don’t annoy others with incessant commentary? No; I bring people with me to sing along
Have you imported a DVD from another country for the purposes of watching one? no
Have you listened to a radio/audio adaptation? no

Fandom

Do you post on Abaisse? yes
Do you have a Les Mis related tumblr URL? No
Do you write Les Mis fanfiction? YES
Have you written a fill on the kink meme? Yes
Have you read Christian Caron? Yes
Have you finished it? Yes
Have you read A Wasps’ Nest? Yes
Have you read fanfic by Marianne? yes
Have you read fanfic by Colonel Despard? yes
Have you read fanfic by TheHighestPie? Yes
Have you read fanfic by MmeBahorel? yes
Have you read fanfic by AMarguerite? Yes
Have you read fanfic by LesMisLoony? yes
Have you published fanart on the internet? Yes
Have you made money out of fanart or other fan creations? no
Have you ever got involved in a shipping argument? No

Obsession

Have you visited a Les Mis site in France? no
Have you cosplayed a Les Mis character to a public event? Yes. My friends were groaning that I came as Éponine to a school fair
Have you identified intentional Les Mis references in other media? Yes
Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public? No
Have you read academic literature in the name of Les Mis research? yes
Have you read academic literature in another language in the name of Les Mis research? No
Have you written an academic piece of work on Les Mis (any version)? No
Have you named an inanimate real life object after a Les Mis character? yes
Have you named a living thing after a Les Mis character? No
Do you celebrate (or otherwise mark) Barricade Day? yes
Do you have a musical dreamcast from several different eras that includes understudies? No
Can you hold a conversation in French? no
Do you have a Les Mis ringtone set on your phone? I had one before my phone got robbed
Do you have particular habits that govern the way you appreciate Les Mis? Yes
Is your career/major influenced by your love of Les Mis? Yes.
When faced with a difficult decision or situation, do you determine your best course of action by thinking "what would [character] do?" Yes
Do you have a crush on a character in Les Mis despite their fictional nature? YES
Do you consider an appreciation of Les Mis to be an essential thing in a significant other? YES

Extra credit

Staged the Confrontation pretty much by myself in the middle of a crowded school plaza. In my defense, I was demonstrating it to two male friends who would be doing that scene in a presentation. But my enthusiasm was far too obvious.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Here we go...just for fun:

Brick
Have you read the unabridged book?
Yes
Have you read more than one translation of the book?
Yes
Do you have a self-annotated copy of the book?
No
Do you own a vintage copy of the Brick?
No
Do you own or have access to all of the translations?
No, but who does?? And I understand it as all translations in all languages.
Have you read the book in the original French?
Non
Have you ever read Cosette or another spinoff?
Yes, the Disney Ducktales version, which is rather awesome.
Do you laugh at the sight of pears?
YES!
Can you remember at least three words of argot?
Oui
Do you cry at the book?
Ya
Have you ever tried to explain a Hugolian pun to someone who’s never read the Brick?
Yup
Do you quote favourite lines from the Brick in French by default?
Non
Does your copy of the Brick fall open at a chapter that is particularly important to you?
Absolutely, yes...oh, hi "Charybdis and Scylla"...
Can you identify the difference between translations without looking up the translator?
I pass
Do you have strong opinions on the difference between translations?
I pass
Have you read the apocrypha of draft material that didn't make it to the final novel?
Yes
Do you know which translation has an extra barricade boy survive?
Yes, strangely.
Can you name the real life inspirations for five or more characters?
Yes
Have you read another Hugo novel?
Yes
Have you read another Hugo novel that isn’t Notre-Dame de Paris?
Yes

Musical
Have you seen the musical on stage?
Yes
Have you seen a professional production of the musical on stage?
Yes
Have you seen more than one professional production (i.e. by different directors) of the musical on stage?
Yes
Have you seen the musical more than five times?
Yes
Have you seen the musical more than twenty times?
No
Have you stagedoored after a performance?
Yes
Do you own a video of one of the anniversary concerts?
Yes
Did you attend one of the anniversary concerts?
No
Do you own one of the official musical recordings?
Yes
Do you own an official musical recording in a language other than your own?
Yes
Do you own more than five official recordings?
Yes
Do you own all of the official recordings?
No
Have you gone to see another musical/play/concert because of an actor from Les Mis?
Yes
Do you possess an unofficial recording?
Yes
Do you possess more than 10?
Yes
Do you possess more than 100?
No, half of that
Do you know every single lyric in the current version of musical?
Yes, in English and German
Do you still sing the CSR lyrics by default?
Yes
Can you sing an entire song from the Original French version in French?
Oui
Have you seen live or purchased a recording of another B&S musical because of Les Mis?
Yes

Films
Have you seen the musical movie (2012/2013)?
Yes
Did you see the musical movie more than 5 times at the cinema?
Yes
Did you attend a showing of the movie in Les Mis themed attire?
Yes
Do you have a copy of the shooting script?
Yes
Have you seen Shoujo Cosette?
Not entirely, just bits and pieces
Have you seen Les Miseranimals?
No
Have you seen the 2000 (Depardieu/Malkovich) miniseries?
Yes
Have you seen the 1998 (Neeson/Rush) movie?
Yes
Have you seen the 1995 (Belmondo) film?
No
Have you seen the 1982 (Lino Ventura) version?
Yes, 6h version all in French which I don't speak. But at least I could say I've seen it.
Have you seen the 1978 (Jordan/Perkins) film?
Yes
Have you seen the 1957 (Gabin/Blier) movie)?
Yes
Have you seen the 1952 (Rennie/Newton) film?
Yes
Have you seen the 1947 I Miserabili (Cervi/Hinrich) film?
Yes
Have you seen the 1935 (March/Laughton) film?
Yes
Have you seen the 1934 (Baur/Vanel) film?
Yes
Have you seen another film not on this list?
1925 film, 1964 miniseries, Indian and Egyptian adaptations, Gavroche Soviet cartoon
Do you have to watch film adaptations alone so that you don’t annoy others with incessant commentary?
No
Have you imported a DVD from another country for the purposes of watching one?
No
Have you listened to a radio/audio adaptation?
Yes

Fandom
Do you post on Abaisse?
Yes
Did you post on Le Café?
Yes
Did you read The Barricade?
Sadly not (I WANT SCAAAAAAAAANS!!!P L E A S E)
Do you have a Les Mis related tumblr URL?
No, but I had a website...you know, fan websites are still a thing.
Do you read Les Mis fanfiction?
No way
Do you write Les Mis fanfiction?
No way
Have you written a prompt on the kink meme?
Nope
Have you written a fill on the kink meme?
Nope
Have you read Christian Caron?
Nope
Have you finished it?
Nope
Have you read A Wasps’ Nest?
Nope
Have you read fanfic by Marianne?
Have you read fanfic by Colonel Despard?
Have you read fanfic by TheHighestPie?
Have you read fanfic by MmeBahorel?
Have you read fanfic by AMarguerite?
Have you read fanfic by LesMisLoony?
See "do you read fanfic"
Have you published fanart on the internet?
No
Have you made money out of fanart or other fan creations?
No
Have you ever got involved in a shipping argument?
Maybe, not sure.

Obsession
Have you played Arm Joe?
Yes
Have you visited a Les Mis site in France?
Not yet
Have you cosplayed a Les Mis character to a public event? (full costume rather than vaguely reminiscent pieces)
No
Have you identified intentional Les Mis references in other media?
Ooooh yes ("24601" in Simpsons was one of the best ever)
Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public?
Yes
Have you read academic literature in the name of Les Mis research?
Yes
Have you read academic literature in another language in the name of Les Mis research?
Yes
Have you written an academic piece of work on Les Mis (any version)?
Yes
Have you named an inanimate real life object after a Les Mis character?
Yes, my harddrives
Have you named a living thing after a Les Mis character?
No
Do you celebrate (or otherwise mark) Barricade Day?
Yes of course. And 8th October as well.
Do you have a musical dreamcast from several different eras that includes understudies?
Yes
Can you hold a conversation in French?
Non
Do you have a Les Mis ringtone set on your phone?
Nope
Do you have particular habits that govern the way you appreciate Les Mis? (e.g. never listening to the finale outside a theatre, reading in a certain order)
Not really?
Is your career/major influenced by your love of Les Mis?
Not anymore.
When faced with a difficult decision or situation, do you determine your best course of action by thinking "what would [character] do?"
Uhm...no...be yourself, make your own decisions
Do you have a crush on a character in Les Mis despite their fictional nature?
No way
Do you consider an appreciation of Les Mis to be an essential thing in a significant other?
Cool, but no
Do you have a Les Mis themed tattoo?
Nope

Extra credit
Musical - Choose your favourite main character. Rank your top five performers in the role, giving reasons for each. Score out of 5 points.
Did that in several threads...look up the fav Javert one.
Film – Pick a film adaptation of your choice and name the five greatest crimes against Hugo committed in it. Score out of 5 points.
1998, Fantine-Valjean, Valjean-Cosette, the barricade, no real Enjolras, ending. nuff said. 2000 incest is also...uhm...questionable
Fandom – Summarise what you think are the five biggest contributions to Les Mis fandom you have made. Score out of 5 points
Death of Enjolras picture thread, actually a revival of a contribution I did to a (dead) website years ago. Should be worth 10 points. Digging up other rare production photos occasionally too. Most of the contribution stuff online was done in 97-2003 so it's lost and gone.
After, well, 14 years of waiting for a movie adaptation the Les Mis movie was the first movie I went to another country for on purpose to watch it earlier than the German start. And I wouldn't want it otherwise in retrospect.
Last edited by Auf die Barrikaden on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Brick
Have you read more than one translation of the book? no, but I've read parts of different translations
Do you have a self-annotated copy of the book? not yet. I don't write in books
Do you own a vintage copy of the Brick? no
Do you own or have access to all of the translations? not yet
Have you read the book in the original French? no, but I have it
Have you ever read Cosette or another spinoff? No
Do you laugh at the sight of pears? yes
Can you remember at least three words of argot? no
Do you cry at the book? all the time so Yes
Have you ever tried to explain a Hugolian pun to someone who’s never read the Brick? maybe once or twice
Do you quote favourite lines from the Brick in French by default? yes
Does your copy of the Brick fall open at a chapter that is particularly important to you? sort of. My copy has about 15 bookmarks in it so that it just falls open to one of them
Can you identify the difference between translations without looking up the translator? no
Do you have strong opinions on the difference between translations? Not overly strong. I'm not a fan of how the Julia Rose does some passages
Have you read the apocrypha of draft material that didn't make it to the final novel? no. I'd like to though
Can you name the real life inspirations for five or more characters?no
Have you read another Hugo novel?yes
Have you read another Hugo novel that isn’t Notre-Dame de Paris? yes

Musical
Have you seen the musical on stage? yes
Have you seen a professional production of the musical on stage?yes
Have you seen more than one professional production (i.e. by different directors) of the musical on stage? no, but I will this summer
Have you seen the musical more than five times? Live? no, but otherwise, yes
Have you seen the musical more than twenty times? Again live no, but otherwise, yes
Do you own a video of one of the anniversary concerts? yes
Did you attend one of the anniversary concerts?no
Do you own one of the official musical recordings?yes
Do you own an official musical recording in a language other than your own? yes
Do you own more than five official recordings? yes
Do you own all of the official recordings? now when you say "own"...
Have you gone to see another musical/play/concert because of an actor from Les Mis? no, but that's what got me into listening to a lot of other shows
Do you possess an unofficial recording? quite a few...
Do you possess more than 10? yes
Do you possess more than 100? I don't think so... but I'm not sure... my guess is no
Do you know every single lyric in the current version of musical? yes
Can you sing an entire song from the Original French version in French? yes
Have you seen live or purchased a recording of another B&S musical because of Les Mis? yes

Films

Did you attend a showing of the movie in Les Mis themed attire?yes
Do you have a copy of the shooting script?yes
Have you seen Shoujo Cosette?yes
Have you seen Les Miseranimals?Is it just the 15 minute clip? If so then yes
Have you seen the 1998 (Neeson/Rush) movie?yes
Have you seen the 1995 (Belmondo) film?no
Have you seen the 1982 (Lino Ventura) version?no
Have you seen the 1978 (Jordan/Perkins) film?yes
Have you seen the 1957 (Gabin/Blier) movie) no
Have you seen the 1952 (Rennie/Newton) film?yes
Have you seen the 1935 (March/Laughton) film? yes
Have you seen the 1934 (Baur/Vanel) film?no
Do you have to watch film adaptations alone so that you don’t annoy others with incessant commentary? yes
Have you listened to a radio/audio adaptation?yes

Fandom

Do you post on Abaisse? no of course not *note the scarcasm*
Do you have a Les Mis related tumblr URL? yes
Do you read Les Mis fanfiction?yes
Do you write Les Mis fanfiction?yes
Have you written a prompt on the kink meme? no
Have you written a fill on the kink meme?no
Have you read Christian Caron?no
Have you finished it?no
Have you read A Wasps’ Nest?no
Have you read fanfic by Marianne?maybe... I don't always look at the authors
Have you read fanfic by Colonel Despard?again maybe
Have you read fanfic by TheHighestPie?again maybe
Have you read fanfic by MmeBahorel?again maybe
Have you read fanfic by AMarguerite?again maybe
Have you read fanfic by LesMisLoony?again maybe
Have you published fanart on the internet?yes... once
Have you made money out of fanart or other fan creations?no
Have you ever got involved in a shipping argument?no, thank heavens

Obsession

Have you visited a Les Mis site in France?yes
Have you cosplayed a Les Mis character to a public event? (full costume rather than vaguely reminiscent pieces) not yet
Have you identified intentional Les Mis references in other media? yes
Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public?of course
Have you read academic literature in the name of Les Mis research?yes
Have you read academic literature in another language in the name of Les Mis research?no
Have you written an academic piece of work on Les Mis (any version)?yes
Have you named an inanimate real life object after a Les Mis character?yes
Have you named a living thing after a Les Mis character?no
Do you celebrate (or otherwise mark) Barricade Day?yes
Do you have a musical dreamcast from several different eras that includes understudies? yes
Can you hold a conversation in French?How complicated and long are we talking? I can hold short conversations, but not long ones
Do you have a Les Mis ringtone set on your phone? no
Do you have particular habits that govern the way you appreciate Les Mis? (e.g. never listening to the finale outside a theatre, reading in a certain order)no
Is your career/major influenced by your love of Les Mis?I don't have a career/major.
When faced with a difficult decision or situation, do you determine your best course of action by thinking "what would [character] do?"yes. WWJVJD?
Do you have a crush on a character in Les Mis despite their fictional nature? I did, but then the VHTTT came about and it became a bit weird... but I did have a severe Combeferre crush at one point
Do you consider an appreciation of Les Mis to be an essential thing in a significant other?Yes, but it does not have to be an obsession

Extra credit
Every week my alarm is set to a different Les Mis song, and every day it is set for a different version. On Barricade Day, it is set for Building the Barricade and the Final Battle. Last year, I woke up and reenacted the Final Battle on my bed while my alarm played.

I think I failed this quiz. The amount of "no"s is stunning.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Mother and I are stuck in traffic so I just tried it on her and she got 20. Which I suppose isn't so bad considering she got 0 on the fandom section.

Now now, I said at the start it wasn't pass fail or anything. Call it a roadmap for your future!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm

All right, here we go. And Acaila, I see what you did there. Copulative organ indeed. :wink:

Brick

Have you read the unabridged book? Yes.
Have you read more than one translation of the book? Portions, but not straight through. So no.
Do you have a self-annotated copy of the book? It's a digital version, but I did highlight and type notes in it, so yes.
Do you own a vintage copy of the Brick? No. How I wish. I have recently taken to rummaging antique stores in hopes that I'll find one, though.
Do you own or have access to all of the translations? No. Unfortunately not.
Have you read the book in the original French? No. Passages, though. And I'd love to someday.
Have you ever read Cosette or another spinoff? No, fortunately.
Do you laugh at the sight of pears? Yes. Definitely.
Can you remember at least three words of argot? No. (Though that, for me, is definitely a failure in more than one area of nerdiness).
Do you cry at the book? Yes.
Have you ever tried to explain a Hugolian pun to someone who’s never read the Brick? Yes. Many. Sometimes it works, sometimes they just laugh at you.
Do you quote favourite lines from the Brick in French by default? A couple, but not all. (Meaning, mostly "mon père, c'était un homme humble et héroïque...")
Does your copy of the Brick fall open at a chapter that is particularly important to you? No. Not exactly.
Can you identify the difference between translations without looking up the translator? On certain passages. But altogether? No way.
Do you have strong opinions on the difference between translations? Yes, I guess. "All right with you?" No. No, it's not. :evil:
Have you read the apocrypha of draft material that didn't make it to the final novel? Again, the things Marianne has on her site. Translated.
Do you know which translation has an extra barricade boy survive? I'm pretty sure. But I could be wrong.
Can you name the real life inspirations for five or more characters? Yes.
Have you read another Hugo novel? No. I feel bad. Got through the second chapter of Notre Dame de Paris, and then got busy again.
Have you read another Hugo novel that isn’t Notre-Dame de Paris? No. Still feel bad.

Musical

Have you seen the musical on stage? Yes.
Have you seen a professional production of the musical on stage? Yes.
Have you seen more than one professional production (i.e. by different directors) of the musical on stage? Yes.
Have you seen the musical more than five times? No. >sigh<
Have you seen the musical more than twenty times? No.
Have you stagedoored after a performance? No, I guess. Though I did go to a question/answer session after a performance, once.
Do you own a video of one of the anniversary concerts? No.
Did you attend one of the anniversary concerts? Nope.
Do you own one of the official musical recordings? Yes.
Do you own an official musical recording in a language other than your own? Yes. Many. :mrgreen:
Do you own more than five official recordings? Yes.
Do you own all of the official recordings? No, unfortunately.
Have you gone to see another musical/play/concert because of an actor from Les Mis? No.
Do you possess an unofficial recording? Um...yes.
Do you possess more than 10? Eleven. Yay!
Do you possess more than 100? Nope.
Do you know every single lyric in the current version of musical? I did, but then I started listening to the non-english ones too much, and now often I'll switch languages in the middle of a song on accident, or give a translation of other lyrics as opposed to the actual english ones, etc. So no, I guess.
Do you still sing the CSR lyrics by default? Yes. In most cases. Though there are a couple I don't like.
Can you sing an entire song from the Original French version in French? Yes. Several. Including a couple not on the recording.
Have you seen live or purchased a recording of another B&S musical because of Les Mis? Well, I downloaded La Révolution Française. Technically, I suppose I didn't buy it. :oops:

Films

Have you seen the musical movie (2012/2013)? Yes.
Did you see the musical movie more than 5 times at the cinema? No.
Did you attend a showing of the movie in Les Mis themed attire? Of course. With a group of people I enticed/(forced) to do the same. :twisted:
Do you have a copy of the shooting script? Yes.
Have you seen Shoujo Cosette? No.
Have you seen Les Miseranimals? Yes.
Have you seen the 2000 (Depardieu/Malkovich) miniseries? Half of it.
Have you seen the 1998 (Neeson/Rush) movie? Yes, unfortunately. (Wait, though half was with the french audio track).
Have you seen the 1995 (Belmondo) film? No.
Have you seen the 1982 (Lino Ventura) version? No.
Have you seen the 1978 (Jordan/Perkins) film? No.
Have you seen the 1957 (Gabin/Blier) movie) No.
Have you seen the 1952 (Rennie/Newton) film? No.
Have you seen the 1947 I Miserabili (Cervi/Hinrich) film? No.
Have you seen the 1935 (March/Laughton) film? No.
Have you seen the 1934 (Baur/Vanel) film? No.
Have you seen another film not on this list? No.
Do you have to watch film adaptations alone so that you don’t annoy others with incessant commentary? I do annoy others with incessant commentary. So, I suppose, yes.
Have you imported a DVD from another country for the purposes of watching one? No. Considered it, certainly, even had it in the amazon cart for a while, but then someone else bought it first.
Have you listened to a radio/audio adaptation? Yes.

Fandom

Do you post on Abaisse? Interesting question. Yes.
Did you post on Le Café? No, too new.
Did you read The Barricade? No, also too new.
Do you have a Les Mis related tumblr URL? Don't have a tumblr, because it scares me for numerous reasons...but I do have a Les Mis url planned out if I ever crack and actually get one.
Do you read Les Mis fanfiction? I guess? Not religiously, and I don't "follow" any fics, but I've definitely read it. So yes.
Do you write Les Mis fanfiction? Ach, Gervais will kill me if I say no, however much I feel like it. So yes.
Have you written a prompt on the kink meme? No.
Have you written a fill on the kink meme? No.
Have you read Christian Caron? No.
Have you finished it? No.
Have you read A Wasps’ Nest? No.
Have you read fanfic by Marianne? A bit. So, yes.
Have you read fanfic by Colonel Despard? No.
Have you read fanfic by TheHighestPie? No.
Have you read fanfic by MmeBahorel? No.
Have you read fanfic by AMarguerite? Yes.
Have you read fanfic by LesMisLoony? Yes.
Have you published fanart on the internet? Yes.
Have you made money out of fanart or other fan creations? No...but I did spend a month making Les Miser-opoly for my brother, and while he didn't pay me, it was a Christmas gift for him, and so I therefore saved money I would have otherwise spent, and a penny saved is a penny earned, according to some people, so if you find this argument valid enough, or just want to give me a point for a valiant effort, count is as a yes, and if not, well, then that's not very kind of you, is it?
Have you ever got involved in a shipping argument? No, fortunately. Wait, yes. Or maybe not. Not sure if it counts. But it certainly wasn't fun, and entirely on accident.

Obsession

Have you played Arm Joe? No, sadly, but I know what it is, and I've watched videos of it being played.
Have you visited a Les Mis site in France? Not intentionally, though I realise it now. So no, sadly.
Have you cosplayed a Les Mis character to a public event? (full costume rather than vaguely reminiscent pieces) Oh, yes. :twisted: Many times. I cosplayed Les Mis to go see The Hobbit, for goodness' sakes.
Have you identified intentional Les Mis references in other media? Yes.
Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public? Yes...but then it broke. And, official or not, the Pontmercy will around my neck on a black ribbon every day has to count for something, too.
Have you read academic literature in the name of Les Mis research? Yes.
Have you read academic literature in another language in the name of Les Mis research? No. I wish.
Have you written an academic piece of work on Les Mis (any version)? Well, I don't know if numerous essays for classes count, or pretending I'm Dante and writing an entire Inferno canto that's really a bunch of Les Mis references in disguise, with footnotes, which would make it fake academic literature...so probably no.
Have you named an inanimate real life object after a Les Mis character? Can't think of one. I have trouble naming inanimate objects.
Have you named a living thing after a Les Mis character? Yes, my little brother now goes by Gavroche, almost permanently. But, if that doesn't count, there was a stray cat we saw once that my brother (Gavroche!) and I named 'Ponine.
Do you celebrate (or otherwise mark) Barricade Day? Yes.
Do you have a musical dreamcast from several different eras that includes understudies? No. Not as a functional thing, yet, at least, though it's also starting to exist.
Can you hold a conversation in French? Ha, depends on your definition of 'conversation.' :twisted: A conversation, yes, by the dictionary definition of "informal exchange of ideas through spoken words," I could, but it really depends on the conversation, which would have to be of the utmost simplicity. So, no. :oops:
Do you have a Les Mis ringtone set on your phone? Yes.
Do you have particular habits that govern the way you appreciate Les Mis? (e.g. never listening to the finale outside a theatre, reading in a certain order) Well, I can't think of any. Pretty sure there I have some, though. I never listen to Gavroche's Death with my brother around unless it's live, and then, not without holding his hand, but that's probably not exactly what you're looking for.
Is your career/major influenced by your love of Les Mis? Influenced...strengthened, maybe, but that's holding lots of assumptions. Including my career. I'm going to go with no.
When faced with a difficult decision or situation, do you determine your best course of action by thinking "what would [character] do?" Not often.
Do you have a crush on a character in Les Mis despite their fictional nature? Nope.
Do you consider an appreciation of Les Mis to be an essential thing in a significant other? Toleration yes, appreciation no, though it would be very nice.
Do you have a Les Mis themed tattoo? No.

Extra credit

Brick – Find the Abaisse post that contains your most indepth and insightful analysis of the Brick and link to it. Score out of 5 points.
Ach, this one is scary. And it's probably not it, but I'll go with the monomyth. http://abaisse.the-barricade.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1885

Musical - Choose your favourite main character. Rank your top five performers in the role, giving reasons for each. Score out of 5 points. I don't feel qualified for this yet, but I am hopefully getting there.

1998-- 1). Valjean hitting the Bishop. And Cosette. And Cosette. 2). No Thenardiers after the inn. Not even Éponine. And, well, I guess Gavroche was there, but not even Éponine. 3). Javert putting a gun to Cosette's head. No. 4). Marjolras. That's a crime against humanity. 5). Cutting off the ending and making Valjean ridiculously happy about watching Javert commit suicide. And, just in case that last one should be tied in with the first under the label of "ruining Valjean," I'll add, 6). Adding Gavroche's brothers, and ruining the rest of the movie. Thus, obviously reading the book, and purposefully butchering it, then laughing in the faces of the people who caught little things like that.

Fandom – Summarise what you think are the five biggest contributions to Les Mis fandom you have made. Score out of 5 points.
Oh. I...I honestly don't know, and that's probably a bad thing. I can't think of anything, and that's also a bad thing. I think I'll skip this one. Hope that's not a bad thing.

Well...hmm. For some reason, I can't think of anything right now. There was that one time people were laughing at me for knowing all the lyrics to the finale chorus, which is nothing, of course. So I started saying them in french, and then they were laughing some more, "she knows it in french!" and all. And then one of the girls looked at me and said, "Ha, yeah. Now do it in Hebrew," as a joke. So I did.
And my brother and I play Barricade, I suppose that's embarrassing enough. Making an entire monopoly game is pretty nerdy, I guess, as is the Colonel's will, especially when people ask about it. Oh. I attended my 16th birthday party as Marius Pontmercy. Any of these good enough? No? Well, sorry, there's a couple, I suppose, though it just asked for one.

And, uh, sorry for all the commentary. :oops:
Last edited by YoungStudentMarius on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Do you write Les Mis fanfiction? Ach, Gervais will kill me if I say no, however much I feel like it. So yes.

Alright boys, dissemble the barricade and go home. Move it, move it! Gavroche, put down the carbine right now or I swear--good. Don't take Courfeyrac's sword, either.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Ah, I guess I have a whole summer of catching up with what I missed all these dark years of my life :P

Brick
Have you read the unabridged book? Yes
Have you read more than one translation of the book? Two Greek, one English
Do you have a self-annotated copy of the book? Yes
Do you own a vintage copy of the Brick? No
Do you own or have access to all of the translations? No
Have you read the book in the original French? Half of it
Have you ever read Cosette or another spinoff? No
Do you laugh at the sight of pears? God knows I do
Can you remember at least three words of argot? No
Do you cry at the book? weep... and not gently...
Have you ever tried to explain a Hugolian pun to someone who’s never read the Brick? all the fuckin' time
Do you quote favourite lines from the Brick in French by default? a part of Gavroche's song, a part of Orestes fasting
Does your copy of the Brick fall open at a chapter that is particularly important to you? The ABC society, Combeferre
Can you identify the difference between translations without looking up the translator? In the two Greek ones yes, in the English ones only bits and pieces
Do you have strong opinions on the difference between translations? Does passionately prefering "Do you permit it" to "do you mind" count?
Have you read the apocrypha of draft material that didn't make it to the final novel? No. Where can I find them?
Do you know which translation has an extra barricade boy survive? Is that Joly? No. Which one is it?
Can you name the real life inspirations for five or more characters? Marius, Fantine, Myriel, Valjean... does Cosette and her wedding day count?
Have you read another Hugo novel? yes
Have you read another Hugo novel that isn’t Notre-Dame de Paris? no

Musical
Have you seen the musical on stage? Only stage production which wasn't a musical. The musical hasn't come in Greece :evil:
Have you seen a professional production of the musical on stage? No
Have you seen more than one professional production (i.e. by different directors) of the musical on stage? No
Have you seen the musical more than five times? Nooo
Have you seen the musical more than twenty times? Nooooo
Have you stagedoored after a performance? No this is painful take me away from this damn country
Do you own a video of one of the anniversary concerts? 10th
Did you attend one of the anniversary concerts? No
Do you own one of the official musical recordings? No. I'm a pirate
Do you own an official musical recording in a language other than your own? Guess what: no musical in my own bloody language :D
Do you own more than five official recordings? No
Do you own all of the official recordings? Nnnno
Have you gone to see another musical/play/concert because of an actor from Les Mis? No. But sounds like something I'd do
Do you possess an unofficial recording? No
Do you possess more than 10? No
Do you possess more than 100? No
Do you know every single lyric in the current version of musical? I suppose so
Do you still sing the CSR lyrics by default? I don't even know what CSR means :oops:
Can you sing an entire song from the Original French version in French? No
Have you seen live or purchased a recording of another B&S musical because of Les Mis? No

Films

Have you seen the musical movie (2012/2013)? That's how I was converted.
Did you see the musical movie more than 5 times at the cinema? No. Two
Did you attend a showing of the movie in Les Mis themed attire? Full Enjolras costume the second time (sans the gold buttons)
Do you have a copy of the shooting script? No
Have you seen Shoujo Cosette? No. Should I?
Have you seen Les Miseranimals? DOES SUCH A THING EXIST?
Have you seen the 2000 (Depardieu/Malkovich) miniseries? Part of it
Have you seen the 1998 (Neeson/Rush) movie? Unfortunately
Have you seen the 1995 (Belmondo) film? No
Have you seen the 1982 (Lino Ventura) version? No
Have you seen the 1978 (Jordan/Perkins) film? Yes
Have you seen the 1957 (Gabin/Blier) movie) No
Have you seen the 1952 (Rennie/Newton) film? No
Have you seen the 1947 I Miserabili (Cervi/Hinrich) film? No
Have you seen the 1935 (March/Laughton) film? No
Have you seen the 1934 (Baur/Vanel) film? No
Have you seen another film not on this list?No
Do you have to watch film adaptations alone so that you don’t annoy others with incessant commentary? Definitely. Though they should just get over it.
Have you imported a DVD from another country for the purposes of watching one? No
Have you listened to a radio/audio adaptation? No

Fandom

Do you post on Abaisse? Yes
Did you post on Le Café? No
Did you read The Barricade? No. What is it?
Do you have a Les Mis related tumblr URL? No
Do you write Les Mis fanfiction? Yes
Have you written a fill on the kink meme? Yes
Have you read Christian Caron? No
Have you finished it? No
Have you read A Wasps’ Nest? Will start today
Have you read fanfic by Marianne? Thank God I have
Have you read fanfic by Colonel Despard? No
Have you read fanfic by TheHighestPie? No
Have you read fanfic by MmeBahorel? Yes
Have you read fanfic by AMarguerite?No
Have you read fanfic by LesMisLoony? No
Have you published fanart on the internet? Wouldn't dare
Have you made money out of fanart or other fan creations? No
Have you ever got involved in a shipping argument? Does in a face to face conversation count?

Obsession

Have you played Arm Joe? I can't download it, it's in Chinese :x
Have you visited a Les Mis site in France? In two weeks time, with Marianne's guide in my pocket
Have you cosplayed a Les Mis character to a public event? (full costume rather than vaguely reminiscent pieces) Halloween. Enjolras. Don't ask me why.
Have you identified intentional Les Mis references in other media? Today, an article in a Greek site
Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public? Not official. DIY t-shirts, do they count?
Have you read academic literature in the name of Les Mis research? No. That's why I have all summer.
Have you read academic literature in another language in the name of Les Mis research? No
Have you written an academic piece of work on Les Mis (any version)? Article in the school paper. Because in the Greek educational system the words "academic" and "les Mis" don't go together
Have you named an inanimate real life object after a Les Mis character? my dungarees are Grantaire, my piano is Combeferre, my harmonica and my favorite notebook are Prouvaire, my accordion is Valjean. My desk chair is Fantine, by the way.
Have you named a living thing after a Les Mis character? My boyfriend has learnt to respond to Combeferre, though on occasion he gets called as Bahorel or Marius. Don't ask me how all these blend. Also my brother officially respons to Gavroche.
Do you celebrate (or otherwise mark) Barricade Day? Hell yeah
Do you have a musical dreamcast from several different eras that includes understudies? I haven't thought about the understudies, to be honest
Can you hold a conversation in French? Used to. Must. Start. Remembering. Paris in less than three weeks.
Do you have a Les Mis ringtone set on your phone? Epilogue, at the moment
Do you have particular habits that govern the way you appreciate Les Mis? (e.g. never listening to the finale outside a theatre, reading in a certain order) Do you mean like rituals? Sing of the Suicide everytime when walking on a certain street. Start explaining everything to a non-Mis fan with a brief summary and full commentary, and then immediately the magic of the dynamics between E and R
Is your career/major influenced by your love of Les Mis? I can't sing. And I'm in Greece :cry:
When faced with a difficult decision or situation, do you determine your best course of action by thinking "what would [character] do?" Everytime. When said character is Prouvaire, then that's a good thing. When said character is Grantaire, well that's a completely different story
Do you have a crush on a character in Les Mis despite their fictional nature? kdfodjhfojofdjd
Do you consider an appreciation of Les Mis to be an essential thing in a significant other? Yes. Though I don't know if I would in case my boyfriend wasn't already obsessed
Do you have a Les Mis themed tattoo? Does the one I drew with pen on myself count?

Extra credit

Brick – Find the Abaisse post that contains your most indepth and insightful analysis of the Brick and link to it. Score out of 5 points. Gah... too ignorant and stupid to have done so
Musical - Choose your favourite main character. Rank your top five performers in the role, giving reasons for each. Score out of 5 points. Well I'm quite new to the fandom and I don't even think I know that many different productions, so I'll just rank all the Grantaires I already know even though I don't even love all of them: 1) Trent Blanton, 2000 US tour. I have a weakness for adorable R's. Remember him and his tender smile in the book? Yes, you do. 2) That dude who plays with Thaxton!jolras. I don't know his name. I just adore their interaction, even though it's OOC. 3) Anthony Crivello, 10th Anniversary. Because he breaks my heart, ok? 4) Hadley, 25th Anniversary. Because he's so fuckin' drunk. Though I'm not really fond of Ramin!jolras. 5) Blagden, you all know him, don't you? He would be number 1 before he decided to break my heart. Now I hate him. Or something like that.
Film – Pick a film adaptation of your choice and name the five greatest crimes against Hugo committed in it. Score out of 5 points. The '98 abomination. 1) Valjean and Fantine don't want to shag each other! 2) Valjean, why u mean at Cosette? 3) Marius, you're no longer a Marius, I do not doubt you mean it well... no you don't. 4) Something wrong with the confrontation. Something entirely wrong with Javert. 5) Enjolras? Are you people serious?
Fandom – Summarise what you think are the five biggest contributions to Les Mis fandom you have made. Score out of 5 points No contributions. I'm miserable.
Obsession – Tell us the most embarrassingly nerdy story of your Les Mis obsession. Score out of 5 points. Ah I guess when the Professor mentioned Apollo in my maths class and I dreamily sighed and he asked me if I happened to be in love with a certain Greek God and I explained everything about Enjolras' character (I'm positive that I had been shrieking like a mouse during the whole process) and then they all stared at me and said "well, whatever..."

I have work to do during the summer. I hope I can do some progress :)
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Brick
Have you read the unabridged book?
Yep
Have you read more than one translation of the book?
Yes
Do you have a self-annotated copy of the book?
Oh yes.
Do you own a vintage copy of the Brick?
I don't have a paper version; it's all on kindle
Do you own or have access to all of the translations?
Yeppers
Have you read the book in the original French?
I have
Have you ever read Cosette or another spinoff?
I don't really want to read Cosette
Do you laugh at the sight of pears?
Yesh ;)
Can you remember at least three words of argot?
Heh, yeah.
Do you cry at the book?
I have
Have you ever tried to explain a Hugolian pun to someone who’s never read the Brick?
Many a time. They all understand 'R' now.
Do you quote favourite lines from the Brick in French by default?
Yes
Does your copy of the Brick fall open at a chapter that is particularly important to you?
It kinda can't...it's not an actual book
Can you identify the difference between translations without looking up the translator?
Sometimes
Do you have strong opinions on the difference between translations?
Mehish
Have you read the apocrypha of draft material that didn't make it to the final novel?
Yeah. Sweetest blue eyes'n'all that
Do you know which translation has an extra barricade boy survive?
I know there is one, but I don't know which. Yet.
Can you name the real life inspirations for five or more characters?
Not yet
Have you read another Hugo novel?
Hell yea
Have you read another Hugo novel that isn’t Notre-Dame de Paris?
Seeing as I'm obsessed with L'homme Qui Rit right now...

Musical
Have you seen the musical on stage?
Nope. (October)
Have you seen a professional production of the musical on stage?
No
Have you seen more than one professional production (i.e. by different directors) of the musical on stage?
No.
Have you seen the musical more than five times?
No
Have you seen the musical more than twenty times?
See above
Have you stagedoored after a performance?
I will. Future tense
Do you own a video of one of the anniversary concerts?
Yep
Did you attend one of the anniversary concerts?
No
Do you own one of the official musical recordings?
Yep
Do you own an official musical recording in a language other than your own?
Yep
Do you own more than five official recordings?
Yep
Do you own all of the official recordings?
No, but I'm on my way
Have you gone to see another musical/play/concert because of an actor from Les Mis?
Billy Elliott. But the show in itself was kickass
Do you possess an unofficial recording?
Yep
Do you possess more than 10?
I...don't know actually
Do you possess more than 100?
no
Do you know every single lyric in the current version of musical?
Quite possibly
Do you still sing the CSR lyrics by default?
I do now
Can you sing an entire song from the Original French version in French?
L'un Vers L'autre and A La Volonté du Peuple
Have you seen live or purchased a recording of another B&S musical because of Les Mis?
PIRATE QUEEEEEEEN!

Films

Have you seen the musical movie (2012/2013)?
Yeah.
Did you see the musical movie more than 5 times at the cinema?
My parents refused
Did you attend a showing of the movie in Les Mis themed attire?
My Enjolras vest got its outing
Do you have a copy of the shooting script?
Yes. Why did they cut so much?
Have you seen Shoujo Cosette?
I have.
Have you seen Les Miseranimals?
Yes!
Have you seen the 2000 (Depardieu/Malkovich) miniseries?
Yep
Have you seen the 1998 (Neeson/Rush) movie?
Regrettably, yes
Have you seen the 1995 (Belmondo) film?
Yeah...:/
Have you seen the 1982 (Lino Ventura) version?
Bits of it, and I'm getting it for my birthday
Have you seen the 1978 (Jordan/Perkins) film?
Yeah
Have you seen the 1957 (Gabin/Blier) movie)
Yes, but the English dub was a bit shit
Have you seen the 1952 (Rennie/Newton) film?
Yeah
Have you seen the 1947 I Miserabili (Cervi/Hinrich) film?
Even though I couldn't get a word, I watched it
Have you seen the 1935 (March/Laughton) film?
Yup
Have you seen the 1934 (Baur/Vanel) film?
I have
Have you seen another film not on this list?
I found some footage of a really old one once, but I have now idea now
Do you have to watch film adaptations alone so that you don’t annoy others with incessant commentary?
Yes, and the fact that I live with my family
Have you imported a DVD from another country for the purposes of watching one?
I am about to
Have you listened to a radio/audio adaptation?
Yes

Fandom

Do you post on Abaisse?
Duh!
Did you post on Le Café?
Eh..no
Did you read The Barricade?
Bits of
Do you have a Les Mis related tumblr URL?
Used to, then I changed it
Do you read Les Mis fanfiction?
Yep
Do you write Les Mis fanfiction?
Sometimes.
Have you written a prompt on the kink meme?
I have.
Have you written a fill on the kink meme?
In the process of
Have you read Christian Caron?
..what?
Have you finished it?
*repeats above*
Have you read A Wasps’ Nest?
I lost all my innocence because of that thing
Have you read fanfic by Marianne?
I sure have
Have you read fanfic by Colonel Despard?
Yes, and it made me sniffle
Have you read fanfic by TheHighestPie?
Yes
Have you read fanfic by MmeBahorel?
Yes. Again, sniffles
Have you read fanfic by AMarguerite?
Many
Have you read fanfic by LesMisLoony?
Yes
Have you published fanart on the internet?
Yes, quite alot too
Have you made money out of fanart or other fan creations?
Ain't I a bit young for that?/Is that even legal?
Have you ever got involved in a shipping argument?
Yeah. I swear to god barely anyone ships ferre/Jolras any more.

Obsession

Have you played Arm Joe?
I got neurotic and wimped out of downloading it. Also, Enjolras.
Have you visited a Les Mis site in France?
About three I think
Have you cosplayed a Les Mis character to a public event? (full costume rather than vaguely reminiscent pieces)
No, because some part of me cares what people think of me and my peers are very judgemental
Have you identified intentional Les Mis references in other media?
Ohhh yes!
Do you wear an item of official Les Mis merchandise in public?
The only one I possess, and it's getting too small
Have you read academic literature in the name of Les Mis research?
Hell yeah!
Have you read academic literature in another language in the name of Les Mis research?
..not yet.
Have you written an academic piece of work on Les Mis (any version)?
Book review!
Have you named an inanimate real life object after a Les Mis character?
I have a teddy bear named Valjean
Have you named a living thing after a Les Mis character?
Well, my cousin's pony's nickname is Mme Thénardier because she's so grumpy
Do you celebrate (or otherwise mark) Barricade Day?
I do
Do you have a musical dreamcast from several different eras that includes understudies?
Yep
Can you hold a conversation in French?
Have done many a time
Do you have a Les Mis ringtone set on your phone?
I don't know how ringtones work; it's a technology darkspot
Do you have particular habits that govern the way you appreciate Les Mis? (e.g. never listening to the finale outside a theatre, reading in a certain order)
I always want Javert's Soliloquy to follow into Turning, then into ECAET
Is your career/major influenced by your love of Les Mis?
I've had music down as my major pretty much since I was born, by Miz has enhanced it
When faced with a difficult decision or situation, do you determine your best course of action by thinking "what would [character] do?"
No.
Do you have a crush on a character in Les Mis despite their fictional nature?
I get squishes, do they count?
Do you consider an appreciation of Les Mis to be an essential thing in a significant other?
No, but it would really help.
Do you have a Les Mis themed tattoo?
If I ever were going to get a tattoo, then quite possibly

Extra credit

I don't think I've even done that :oops:
Favourite Main: Marius (yeah, sue me)
No 1: Tom Lucas
Reason: Few ECAET I have legit cried at
No 2: Jamie Ward
Reason: See above
No 3: Michael Ball
Reason: He's the original English one, and I love his voice
No 4: Hadley Fraser
Reason: Killer voice, emotion
No 5: Gilles Buhlmann
Reason: I like him, okay?
1998 Film
Crime 1: Valjean hits Cosette. What the actual-
Crime 2: Valjean smiles after Javert commits suicide
Crime 3: No Thénardiers
Crime 4: No Patron Minette
Crime 5: Enjolras talking about sex.
I've contributed stuff?!
Can't think of any really embarrassing ones.
Last edited by TheRandomPhangirl on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Return to “General Discussion”