The Sorting Hat

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
WhoIam

Re: The Sorting Hat

Postby WhoIam » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:26 am

As a "teacher of justice" I think Gryffindor might actually suit him rather well.
Bahorel I'm not sure on yet, but I would guess Patron-Minette as a whole would probably end up in Slytherin, along with Thenardier and Mme Thenardier. Gavroche would be Gryffindor most likely.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:13 am

I can easily see Feuilly in Gryffindor.
Though Grantaire is a Slytherin for me. He is extremely intelligent, and Slytherins don't have to be bad or ill-meaning. A cynic who doesn't believe in anything would definitely fit there.
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:53 pm

I read somewhere that the guidelines for the houses are
Gryffindor - brave and daring
Slytherin - ambitious and cunning
Hufflepuff - loyal and kind
Ravenclaw - intelligence and creativity

But I also remember reading somewhere that Ravenclaws value intelligence above all else, and that's why Hermione's not one.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:39 am

IBelieveInYou wrote:I can easily see Feuilly in Gryffindor.
Though Grantaire is a Slytherin for me. He is extremely intelligent, and Slytherins don't have to be bad or ill-meaning. A cynic who doesn't believe in anything would definitely fit there.

I really don't think he would. The defining quality of Slytherin is supposed to be ambition and cunning, as enjolraslesunicorn said - and Grantaire is totally lacking in ambition; what makes him stand out among the Amis is that they are all dedicated to a goal they want to achieve, and he isn't.
I'd be tempted to go with Ravenclaw, because he doesn't have the directed ambition that a Slytherin probably should; he's not consistently brave or daring enough for Gryffindor; and he's certainly not reliable and "unafraid of toil" as a Hufflepuff should be. He is intelligent and well-read enough that Ravenclaw would make more sense to me than any of the others.

Combeferre, Feuilly and Joly I would also put in Ravenclaw.

Bahorel definitely Gryffindor, and Courfeyrac as well (chivalry is one of the qualities the Hat gives Gryffindor, and, well, paladin).

Prouvaire could go either way between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor.

Marius I would definitely put in Hufflepuff, and I think I'd put Valjean there as well.

Javert: Ha, my choice would actually be the only house that wasn't suggested as a possibility in the opening post of this thread. I think Hufflepuff for him as well - he's not kind, but I think being kind is actually to some degree a secondary characteristic that gets associated with Hufflepuff the way evil gets associated with Slytherin. A lot of kind people are probably Hufflepuffs as a lot of evil people are Slytherins, but kind/evil aren't requirements for those houses, just common results of possessing the other basic traits. The basic qualities for Hufflepuff include being loyal, faithful, and hardworking - and I think Javert definitely values those things over bravery, ambition, or intelligence.

The adult Thenardiers are the most blatant Slytherins.

MamzelleCombeferre wrote:Can't argue with you on that second point though! :lol: Javert, Valjean, and Enjolras would definitely be Gryffindors, though I can see the sorting hat having a hard time placing Enjolras between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor though.

If the Hat struggled with Enjolras I think it would be more likely to be between Gryffindor and Slytherin than Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, actually. Not that he isn't intelligent, but that that's not what really defines him.
I think he'd ultimately end up in Gryffindor, but possibly in a similar way to how Harry does in the books - because he doesn't want to be in Slytherin (it has the whole pureblood thing going on, no way Enjolras is going to be okay with that), not because it wouldn't fit him in theory - again, if we take ambition as the defining characteristic, he has the capacity for that in spades, even if in practice it shows up as an ambition for the people of France, not one for himself. And "charming, capable of being terrible", and the ruthlessness he's capable of e.g. re. Le Cabuc, I think could definitely work with "...use any means to achieve their ends".

(This got really long :oops:. Oh, self, writing massive long forum posts about Harry Potter is so 2006...)
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:35 am

Morgan wrote:Bahorel definitely Gryffindor, and Courfeyrac as well (chivalry is one of the qualities the Hat gives Gryffindor, and, well, paladin).

I have a feeling that this is a product of Acaila's brain that I argued with her about at length, but now I can't see Bahorel in anything other than Hufflepuff.

Which is funny really, because if you look at the basic Hufflepuff traits they don't exactly line up where everyone's favorite bruiser is concerned. Hard work? This is a student of the eleventh year, he's not been working all that hard at his studies at least. Kindness? Capable of it, certainly. Probably heaps it upon his friends, but not exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you say Bahorel.

But that's looking at things at face value. The Harry Potter wiki lists the dominant Hufflepuff traits as Hard Work, Dedication, Fair Play, Patience, Kindness, Tolerance and [Being] Unafraid of Toil. Now, here we have Bahorel, who certainly hasn't been showing much dedication or tolerance to working hard and toiling when it comes to the law school he was more than likely enrolled in at some point. But let's call that the inevitable "nothing is what it seems" that goes along with JK Rowling's world. Crabbe and Goyle aren't showing too much by way of ambition or cunning and yet there they are in Slytherin. Hemione could just as easily have been accepted to Ravenclaw or Harry to Slytherin. But that would be too easy. Sure, Bahorel's brave; the walking talking wall took it upon himself to fill the hole in the barricade with his body.

But - and wahey, I'm starting a lot of paragraphs with buts - he's been in Paris since at least 1822 (1820 if you want to ignore Hugo and go by when Lallemand's funeral actually happened) actively partaking in the revolutionary activity of the time; Lallemand's funeral, probably the failed insurrection that followed a month after in August, the riot at Foy's funeral in 1826, the riot at La Rochefoucault-Liancourt's funeral in 1827, and the republican demonstrations that resulted in the disbanding of the Parisian barracks of the National Guard. And all this before we're introduced to Les Amis in 1828, after which point he certainly took part in 1830. So what's all that if not dedication to a cause, being unafraid of toil, hard work, working to achieve fair play, etc. etc. Bahorel's kind of like a pachycephalosaurus. Give him somewhere to point his head and he'll headbutt the crap out of it.

... also I just really like the idea of there being a group of Hufflepuffs and then also Bahorel. And people are like "nyah nyah, Hufflepuff!" and he punches them and it's great.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:42 am

deHavilland wrote:
Morgan wrote:Bahorel definitely Gryffindor, and Courfeyrac as well (chivalry is one of the qualities the Hat gives Gryffindor, and, well, paladin).

I have a feeling that this is a product of Acaila's brain that I argued with her about at length, but now I can't see Bahorel in anything other than Hufflepuff.

Which is funny really, because if you look at the basic Hufflepuff traits they don't exactly line up where everyone's favorite bruiser is concerned. Hard work? This is a student of the eleventh year, he's not been working all that hard at his studies at least. Kindness? Capable of it, certainly. Probably heaps it upon his friends, but not exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you say Bahorel.

But that's looking at things at face value. The Harry Potter wiki lists the dominant Hufflepuff traits as Hard Work, Dedication, Fair Play, Patience, Kindness, Tolerance and [Being] Unafraid of Toil. Now, here we have Bahorel, who certainly hasn't been showing much dedication or tolerance to working hard and toiling when it comes to the law school he was more than likely enrolled in at some point. But let's call that the inevitable "nothing is what it seems" that goes along with JK Rowling's world. Crabbe and Goyle aren't showing too much by way of ambition or cunning and yet there they are in Slytherin. Hemione could just as easily have been accepted to Ravenclaw or Harry to Slytherin. But that would be too easy. Sure, Bahorel's brave; the walking talking wall took it upon himself to fill the hole in the barricade with his body.

But - and wahey, I'm starting a lot of paragraphs with buts - he's been in Paris since at least 1822 (1820 if you want to ignore Hugo and go by when Lallemand's funeral actually happened) actively partaking in the revolutionary activity of the time; Lallemand's funeral, probably the failed insurrection that followed a month after in August, the riot at Foy's funeral in 1826, the riot at La Rochefoucault-Liancourt's funeral in 1827, and the republican demonstrations that resulted in the disbanding of the Parisian barracks of the National Guard. And all this before we're introduced to Les Amis in 1828, after which point he certainly took part in 1830. So what's all that if not dedication to a cause, being unafraid of toil, hard work, working to achieve fair play, etc. etc. Bahorel's kind of like a pachycephalosaurus. Give him somewhere to point his head and he'll headbutt the crap out of it.

... also I just really like the idea of there being a group of Hufflepuffs and then also Bahorel. And people are like "nyah nyah, Hufflepuff!" and he punches them and it's great.

And you just converted me to the idea. Somehow I also can see him in Ravenclaw (that penetrating mind of his), but just not in Slytherin. Bahorel as a Hufflepuff though...that's even more acceptable to me now.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 am

With your explanation, yeah, I can go with that :)
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:
And you just converted me to the idea. Somehow I also can see him in Ravenclaw (that penetrating mind of his), but just not in Slytherin. Bahorel as a Hufflepuff though...that's even more acceptable to me now.

Giving credit where credit is due, when I say "product of Acaila's brain and I argued with her about it" I do mean that I'm pretty sure she sat down across from me (metaphorically speaking, across oceans and computer screens) and said "G, I think Bahorel is a Hufflepuff." And I said "whaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

But now that the idea's there, that's how my noggin consolidates it. I'm glad my four paragraphs and dinosaur references came out coherent enough to impart the idea onto you as well.

Man, I love me some dinosaurs. Ankylosaurus, why didn't you headbutt things? You'd be the perfect vessel for my love if I could use you as a simile for Bahorel.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 am

Man I need to get back to my fic ....

Since that's been spoiled, I might as well say that a major reason I fixed on Hufflepuff for Bahorel was the fact that they are the friendliest house and Bahorel is the one who knows all of the other revolutionary groups. I like him as the guy who knows and gets on with everyone, is loyal and dedicated to fairness, and don't insult one of his friends or, yes, headbutts.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Hey, you're the one who brought up your fic. That you haven't worked on in two months. I was just talking about Bahorel. As I do. Frequently. :D

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:49 am

I think that the four houses correspond to the four humors. Sanguine is Gryffindor, choleric is Slytherin, melancholic is Ravenclaw, and phlegmatic is Hufflepuff.

Actually, Hufflepuff is the one that isn't very outstanding by most standards - hardworking is hardly the most valued trait. Phlegmatic was often slighted because people received the impression that it was really "without a temperament" when it was just about being laid-back and faithful.

Make of that what you will as regards Sorting.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Here is how I would sort Les Amis

Ravenclaws:
Combeferre
Joly
Jehan

Gryffindors:
Enjolras
Bahorel
Gavroche ( not a BB but I definitely see him here)
Courfeyrac

Hufflepuffs:
Marius
Feuilly??? Maybe Ravenclaw??
Lesgles

Slytherins:
Grantaire

I would also put Éponine into Gryffindor, Cosette into Hufflepuff, Javert into Slytherins, and Valjean into Hufflepuff as well.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Haha, no way will Enjolras be in Gryffindor. He's a Slytherin in my head, because I connect the Houses to the four temperaments, and Enjolras is definitely choleric: extroverted, but very task-motivated rather than people-motivated, which corresponds to sanguine/Gryffindor. The same Sorting can apply to anyone. Grantaire I feel is actually least likely to be Slytherin, because he is definitely not a task-driven individual. Other than that, Ceri, I feel you were pretty accurate.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:27 pm

I was torn between putting Enjolras in either Gryffindor or Slytherin----just like it was with Harry in the books. He does have the traits of both but I put him in Gryffindor because he very brave and daring.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:03 pm

It is difficult, because he does have traits from both, being people-oriented to a degree, but I like the idea of him coolly correcting the prejudice against Slytherins. :D

Return to “General Discussion”