So, What Would Enjolras Have Done?

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Les Mis Jedi

So, What Would Enjolras Have Done?

Postby Les Mis Jedi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:59 am

First post outside of the Introduction Forum, and I am not sure if I am even in the right section, and I don't know if this is worthy of any discussion but I am going to throw it out there because my friend and I had this discussion today.

See, after registering for this forum a couple of days ago I guess I went to sleep with Les Mis on my mind and I had a dream about Enjolras...instead of Valjean meeting Fantine it was Enjolras. I know in reality they were around at different times and this meeting could never be, nor could Enjolras ever know about her...but in my dream he did meet her and was faced with the decision to basically drop his life to go and find and care for Cosette or...not.

I did not get a chance to dream the answer due to a stupid alarm clock. I told my friend and she immediately jumped in with , "Well of course he would have! He would have promised to take of Cosette because he is honourable. He would have then dedicated his life to her with the same passion he devotes to all of his ideals."

I thought her thought was interesting, because my immediate thought was the opposite...that he would not put much value in the individual problems of a woman and her child...would want instead to use them as motivation perhaps in trying to change the world, but would not actually entangle himself with them.

I don't know. I just thought it was interesting.

What do you think he would have done? :?:

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: So, What Would Enjolras Have Done?

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:00 am

I think he'd direct them to someone who could be of more personal help, and then go about changing the system his own way. With them in mind of course.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:46 am

It's an interesting question, because we don't see him actually engaging with the people he is most trying to help through his politics.

I read an interesting fanfic a while ago about a young Enjolras meeting Fantine and her situation being the fuel for his politicisation - think it was one of our own Marianne's fics actually.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:18 am

Acaila wrote:It's an interesting question, because we don't see him actually engaging with the people he is most trying to help through his politics.

I read an interesting fanfic a while ago about a young Enjolras meeting Fantine and her situation being the fuel for his politicisation - think it was one of our own Marianne's fics actually.

It was hers. :)

Very interesting actually; she did tell him her story but he couldn't do much to personally help her then.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Joly

Postby Joly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 am

Actually, I'm positive that Enjolras would not have done those things. He might have been somewhat concerned yes, but this isn't his affair. After all he didn't send her away from the factory. And with all the troubles on his mind he might also soon forget all about her unless prompted to remember. Perhaps given her some small amount of money he had on his person and went on. Remember there were people suffering and starving all around him every single day. What are the lives of two more persons compared to the freedom and better conditions of so many that he strove for?

Jolllly
Here's to witty girls who went to our beds.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Les Mis Jedi wrote:
What do you think he would have done? :?:

Blame government
Build a barricade
Get slaughtered

and that's the universal answer to every "WWED?" question.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 pm

I think he would have given her some of his own money and then continued on with his crusade against the monarchy. I'm not sure he would have gotten too personally involved in her situation.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Chantefleurie

Postby Chantefleurie » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:05 pm

I agree that he wouldn't have gotten personally involved. He would most likely help Fantine with some of the immediate concerns (money) and either direct her to someone else, or else try to recruit her to his cause (see what the government does to you? That's why you should build a barricade!).
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “General Discussion”