The thread where aweome Youtube videos belong.

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Acaila

Re: The thread where aweome Youtube videos belong.

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Aww yeah advent calendar. Yeah, not my fave cast either (the cast before them was so darn brilliant, comparisons couldn't help but be invited!) but I do like that they did this, and did donate. The Band Aid one they did was awesome, as was Baby It's Cold Outside with the singing convicts :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:25 pm

23623 wrote:... the Hungarian cast was my very first stage (as opposed to concert) Les Mis video. I should have picked an English one as a starter but I was too eager to see that "2460AAAAAAAAAAH...", lol! ...

I thought I replied to this earlier but can't find it-- maybe in another thread somewhere-- anyway I watched the Hungarian show and thought it interesting that they used the tricolor instead of the red flag of revolution which has bad connotations for them from their Communist decades.

The synchronized applause is curious. Some of the dances looked like they had a bit of national character to them.

As for 2460AAAAAAAAAH I just lol'd and lol'd. I'm still laughing on and off.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:40 am

Haha yes at first the red flag did bug me a little and my first reaction was "wow this is so communist" too! Don't know why they never give Enjolras a tricolor flag. It seems so much cooler! I guess the red flag is something from the book? But I still haven't got to the barricade part yet so I'm not sure. Aaaah I really, really need to finish my reread as soon as possible!

And these tiny differences are the reason why watching different productions is really fun. :wink:
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Yes, the Communists co-opted the red flag therefore pretty well ruining it for everybody else in the present. Like the legitimate Hindu and Native American swastika was co-opted and is unusable as a design element now because of the horrific meaning that has been attached to it.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:30 pm

23623 wrote:Haha yes at first the red flag did bug me a little and my first reaction was "wow this is so communist" too! Don't know why they never give Enjolras a tricolor flag. It seems so much cooler! I guess the red flag is something from the book? But I still haven't got to the barricade part yet so I'm not sure ...
you'll see :)

And these tiny differences are the reason why watching different productions is really fun. :wink:

Am I mistaken in thinking that they all got shot like Jean Prouvaire in one production? Instead of on the barricade? That is too much of a change. Can't remember which one I was watching.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:56 pm

CC21106 wrote:Am I mistaken in thinking that they all got shot like Jean Prouvaire in one production? Instead of on the barricade? That is too much of a change. Can't remember which one I was watching.

Yessss, I believe this was the Baden production,
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Hmm...my guess is that the red flag comes from the Mabeuf incident, but I'm really not sure. To be honest I already forget what color that flag is in the book. Also I've suspected Enjolras' death is taken from Mabeuf's death in the book. This is what should have happened at that point seriously, Enjolras why don't you just go and raise that flag yourself! :roll: Sorry, I'm probably the only one in this fandom who blames Mabeuf's death on Enjolras but I really like the lovely old man and his death does break my heart.

As for its influence it definitely never gets that far as the Nazi flag though. I don't know if the Hungarians have any special ideological reasons for making that change. I personally just consider it as a matter of aesthetics. And seeing Enjy waving a red flag I do feel like making a “Hey look there Enjy leads the October Revolution!” sort of meme joke, but I never really take it seriously or associate it with anything ideological.

And agree with Havvy the only thing that comes to my mind is the Baden production. I spent months searching for it earlier this year, because the Javert and the Enjolras (though he's really not Enjy material imo) are my favorite German-speaking actors. Before I watched the Madrid revival that Javert was my faovrite Valjean actually. He's not THAT good honestly, but before him I had only watched US tour videos, so there was comparison, you know :mrgreen: Also Valjean in that video was Percy in German Scarlet Pimpernel, Javert was Chauvelin and Marius was Armand. :wink: I like the Baden Mis in general, but the Final Battle is really like WTF.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:23 pm

deHavilland wrote:
CC21106 wrote:Am I mistaken in thinking that they all got shot like Jean Prouvaire in one production? Instead of on the barricade? That is too much of a change. Can't remember which one I was watching.

Made me feel a little sick actually.

Postby 23623 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:46 pm

CC21106 wrote:
deHavilland wrote:

Made me feel a little sick actually.

Not sure where to put this, but I've noticed something really disturbing while rewatching the Baden Mis video (Hooray! I finally figured out how to link videos!) Valjean actually kills a man at the barricade to save Enjolras!! :shock: This is so wrong. Book-Valjean will NEVER do that. I can't remember if Valjean does anything in particular to save Enjolras in the book, but I quite like this idea. It's very in-character of Valjean, always busy protecting everyone. :D BUT, shooting the soldier is totally out of character! I remember clearly that in the book he AVOIDS killing a soldier by shooting his hat. He doesn't want to kill him. He only startles him. (Book-Enjolras, learn from this example!) Now, if they really want Valjean to be the hero, can't they just do it as in the book? :roll:

Here's something else that's been bothering me for some time. The Confrontation is somehow getting more and more violent. In some bootlegs the fight really becomes like action movie and that's too much for me. There are several Valjeans who are actually trying to strangle Javert! The physical "Confrontation" never happens in the book, let alone in such a violent form. Valjean does break...something (sorry can't remember the details), but it's more like a "I'm a stronger man by far" warning than actual intention to fight Javert. Yes, he doesn't plan to escape in the book while he does in the musical, but I think violence is the last method Valjean would use to get away.

This is what I think Confrontation should be like. <3
Also I'm OK if it's done this way.
But I'm not OK with this (really don't want to use my favorite Valjean as an example but it's the first thing that comes into my mind).

Sorry if this is getting too long but I'm really pissed off. Here's another killer Valjean. Gosh, I thought it was only those Austrians' idea! May I ask whether this is actually common practice (but I NEVER see it in other videos!) or just a pure coincidence that the two groups of people happened to have the same crap idea?
Btw, have I posted any English links before? No? Well, now here's one, but it's definitely not what you're expecting. *smirks* Apparently I'm incapable of finding normal English Mis videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3h38rT ... PwKUl7-8Qp
I wish I had never rewatched the Baden video in the first place. I admit sometimes I skip stuff (like Turning, instrumental transitions, etc) when watching videos. That's probably why I never discovered this scene before. But OMG now I can't unsee what I've seen. Wish I could just pretend this never happened. And sorry for the rant.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:31 pm

Yes, in the show he shoots a sniper instead of shooting his helmet off. He knocked off two helmets in the book for two people in a row and they quit coming up on the roof, no doubt thinking the next would be lethal. But he certainly never kills anybody. He uses his excellent shooting ability to cut the ropes holding up a mattress over a window--shooting ropes at that distance being very difficult (they looked like threads).

Re the confrontation, I expect you are talking about the one at Fantine's deathbed: "Jean Valjean stepped up to this bed, in a twinkling wrenched off the head-piece, which was already in a dilapidated condition, an easy matter to muscles like his, grasped the principal rod like a bludgeon, and glanced at Javert. Javert retreated towards the door. Jean Valjean, armed with his bar of iron, walked slowly up to Fantine’s couch. When he arrived there he turned and said to Javert, in a voice that was barely audible:—
'I advise you not to disturb me at this moment.'
One thing is certain, and that is, that Javert trembled."

But then it ends with "Fantine’s hand was hanging over the side of the bed. Jean Valjean knelt down before that hand, lifted it gently, and kissed it.
Then he rose, and turned to Javert.
'Now,' said he, 'I am at your disposal.'"

And then he goes straight to jail and the galleys again and the entire second escape sequence takes place some time after that. I reckon they had to elide all that in the show because it would just take too long and possibly be confusing as well. But too bad the fall from the Orion couldn't be worked in. So spectacular.

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:05 am

Thanks for locating the original texts for me, CC! Yes I also remember Valjean shooting the mattress down. Enjy, look, if you really want to lead a revolution, you've got a lot to work on. You're way behind Valjean in...certain aspects, lol! But yeah, I haven't been that disappointed as I was yesterday ever since I knew Les Mis. Valjean is my favorite character in Les Mis and probably in any literature. I can't tolerate any OOC-ness concerning him.

Solved my own question yesterday. Well...kind of solved it. I wish I didn't though.

[15] FIRST ATTACK

ENJOLRAS gives VALJEAN a gun.

ENJOLRAS
Take this and use it well!
But if you shoot us in the back
You’ll never live to tell.

STUDENT 1
Platoon of sappers advancing towards the barricade

STUDENT 2
Troops behind them! Fifty men or more!

ENJOLRAS
Fire!

Gunfire is heard

FEUILLY
Sniper!

VALJEAN shoots a sniper who is aiming at ENJOLRAS.

From the script I found in CSR. I wish I was mistaken. Oh my God, I can't believe Boublil and Schönberg were actually the ones behind this! Does this mean EVERY Valjean I've seen in EVERY production is actually supposed to kill that man? Just rewatched several bootlegs that I revisit from time to time (1999 London, 2004 Berlin, 2011 Madrid). Seems that these Valjeans didn't shoot anyone. So is the man shot by Valjean off-stage, like standing in the audience or somewhere cannot be captured by camera? (I've never seen Les Mis live, please enlighten me!) And oddly I never came across any discussion about this scene. For God's sake, I can't be the only one who's freaking out if Valjean kills people in the show! So I guess not every Valjean shoots? But why is it on the script anyway? That means such arrangement is like the standard practice right? God help me. I'm really confused. And upset. :evil:

But seriously, Valjean killing people sounds as ridiculous as Javert robbing a bank and Fantine abusing Cosette. It's so wrong. SOOOO WRONG. :(

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:25 am

Well, since the sniper Valjean is shooting at in this moment in the licensed CamMack production is usually not visible to the audience, you can argue that this doesn't necessarily mean he kills the sniper. It can just as easily be interpreted as a book moment where a too-close-for-comfort shot being shot at him dissuades him from continuing to fire at Enjolras.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:47 am

So the sniper, like the army officer, never appears? This makes an exhilarating amount of sense! :shock: When I read the script, I was assuming that he is physically there, shot by Valjean, and dies, like the Baden version. And no wonder why I never got what's going on in First Attack before Baden Mis made things (too) explicit. I never caught Feuilly's line, so I didn't know Enjy is in danger. And of course, I didn't know what deed Valjean has done either. But I never gave it a second thought as it's too trivial (well, it's just that Valjean somehow helps them and wins Enjy's trust. End of story.)...except it isn't.

But still...the fact that some Valjeans, in some productions, have killed a soldier wrecks my brain. :(

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:58 pm

23623 wrote: I remember clearly that in the book he AVOIDS killing a soldier by shooting his hat. He doesn't want to kill him. He only startles him.

23623 wrote:But still...the fact that some Valjeans, in some productions, have killed a soldier wrecks my brain. :(

Yeah. Gives the whole wrong impression of the character. And, it wasn't a sniper anyway.

The real text:
"The insurgents suddenly perceived a helmet glittering in the sun on a neighboring roof. A fireman had placed his back against a tall chimney, and seemed to be acting as sentinel. His glance fell directly down into the barricade.
'There’s an embarrassing watcher,' said Enjolras.
Jean Valjean had returned Enjolras’ rifle, but he had his own gun.
Without saying a word, he took aim at the fireman, and, a second later, the helmet, smashed by a bullet, rattled noisily into the street. The terrified soldier made haste to disappear. A second observer took his place. This one was an officer. Jean Valjean, who had re-loaded his gun, took aim at the newcomer and sent the officer’s casque to join the soldier’s. The officer did not persist, and retired speedily. This time the warning was understood. No one made his appearance thereafter on that roof; and the idea of spying on the barricade was abandoned.[.....]
'He is a man who does good by gun-shots,' said Combeferre."

Several chapters later,
"Jean Valjean was still in the same place, motionless on his stone post. When Combeferre offered him his fifteen cartridges, he shook his head.
'Here’s a rare eccentric,' said Combeferre in a low voice to Enjolras. 'He finds a way of not fighting in this barricade.'
'Which does not prevent him from defending it,' responded Enjolras."

Now that's the Valjean we know and love. Combeferre seems to understand him, which would figure.

Postby 23623 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22 am

Apologies!! Posted something which has now been moved to a more proper place. Please feel free to delete this post. Thank you and sorry for the mess I've made. :oops:

Return to “General Discussion”