The thread where aweome Youtube videos belong.

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Auf die Barrikaden

Re: The thread where aweome Youtube videos belong.

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:19 am

There were TV ads for the first Australian production. I can't find them on youtube, but searching through my posts here I could at least find gifs of them. And the first has Philip Quast and Anthony Warlow together on stage. Plus awesome gun-catching by Warlow.
http://windbelle.tumblr.com/post/593645 ... alian-cast
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Something that's curious to me is the hair style in some of these concert productions. The men have their hair tied back as if it was the 1790s. In the 1830s men wore their hair shortish and combed forward, certainly not shoulder-length.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Queues are so much prettier though!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:35 pm

It's not just the concert versions, either. Queues and for a long time mullets have been used in the regular stage version, too. It started to phase out a little bit just because contemporary hairstyles veered away from the mullet, but you'll still find long wigs and ponytails in just about every production if not on every male character.

Nothing says HISTORICAL SETTING like a man with a ponytail!
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:11 pm

deHavilland wrote:Hooray! I'm glad you like Annalene Beechey! She's one of my all-time top favorite Cosettes! With a voice like bells! Such love, such Cosette. (Also incredibly fond of Matthew Cammelle as Marius and of course, David Bardsley's Enjolras is in my top three.) Here's her singing In My Life (with JOJ and Martin Crewes, no less. Also people I love.)

...But it does mean it's been 19 years since I first saw Les Mis, since that was my first cast. Yowza.

She makes me able to ship Marius/Cosette in the musical for the first time, because seriously who doesn't want to marry this cute little girl! <3
Whoa...your mizzie history is almost as long as my entire life. :shock: :shock:

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:There were TV ads for the first Australian production. I can't find them on youtube, but searching through my posts here I could at least find gifs of them. And the first has Philip Quast and Anthony Warlow together on stage. Plus awesome gun-catching by Warlow.
http://windbelle.tumblr.com/post/593645 ... alian-cast

Thank you so much, Auf die Barrikaden. I just went through all the posts this morning and had I not been in class the entire school would have heard me scream. This is literally the best mizzie thing I've ever found on Internet. :P

And judging people by their looks now, aren't we? :wink: Want to share the Hungarian Mis video again. Sorry, I know I've posted it in the other Youtube thread but as we're on this topic...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5C3A3B4D41
Yeah, long-haired Valjean, short-haired Javert, Grantaire being blond and like a head taller than Enjolras is just so correct in every way. :mrgreen: Well in fact it's not a big problem. I'm just not used to it. I don't remember if the book explicitly states that Javert has long hair but I really haven't seen any short-haired Javert before. Same with long-haired Valjean. I have a feeling that no matter how many times I reread the brick there will always be some overlooked details. *sigh*
*EDIT* Sorry I forgot that the Javert in Madrid revival has short hair. But he's really the only short-haired Javert I've seen!

CC21106 wrote:Something that's curious to me is the hair style in some of these concert productions. The men have their hair tied back as if it was the 1790s. In the 1830s men wore their hair shortish and combed forward, certainly not shoulder-length.

Not a question of historical accuracy but as a Warlow fan I feel obliged to tell you that the wig is easily the stupidest thing done to a natural blond Enjolras.
Revolution, but civilization

Postby 23623 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Warlow video hunt continues. Today's surprise: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzMyNTM3N ... 0.0.vxoCed

In which you can hear different Enjolrases sing their national anthem. :D There's OFC Enjolras, the OBC/TAC guy whose name I forget, and Anthony Warlow! (do you hear my fangirling scream? :D ) Btw does anyone know who the last guy is?

I'm sorry this is not a Youtube video and you can't skip the annoying ad. But this is simply too good to not share and definitely worth the wait.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:53 am

At first glance, I went "oh, that's Kevin Kern, but he was a Marius" but then when the camera got in really close, I realized it was not Kevin Kern. It's Tom Lowe** -- and that threw me off because he's British, not American. And again, not known as an Enjolras: he was Marius on the West End in 1998. (And a pretty good one.) (He did don the vest for a couple performances at the Hollywood Bowl in 2008, but not on Broadway or in London.)

**Tom Lowe is his actual name. If you look for more info on him in regards to Les Mis, he may show up as Tom Lucas, which is the stage name he used when performing on the West End vs. his former life as a British teen idol.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:00 pm

A British teen idol that I really rather loved. I remember being really freaked out when researching the name change controversy that I totally knew who he was and even had a poster on my tweenage walls that included "the pretty blonde guy from North and South", back when North and South meant cheesy "Monkees for the 1990s" CBBC shows. Ever since then, I can't see mention of him in Les Mis without launching into "Na na na nanananana Naaaaaaaaa NO SWEAT!"
Don't think I've ever sat and watched the full Hollywood Bowl concert, but I remember quite liking his Marius in the 99 video.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:19 pm

23623 wrote:Warlow video hunt continues. Today's surprise: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzMyNTM3N ... 0.0.vxoCed

I just got an exclamation point like maybe it was down.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:03 pm

deHavilland wrote:At first glance, I went "oh, that's Kevin Kern, but he was a Marius" but then when the camera got in really close, I realized it was not Kevin Kern. It's Tom Lowe** -- and that threw me off because he's British, not American. And again, not known as an Enjolras: he was Marius on the West End in 1998. (And a pretty good one.) (He did don the vest for a couple performances at the Hollywood Bowl in 2008, but not on Broadway or in London.)

**Tom Lowe is his actual name. If you look for more info on him in regards to Les Mis, he may show up as Tom Lucas, which is the stage name he used when performing on the West End vs. his former life as a British teen idol.

Didn't recognize him in the anthem video but I did the moment I clicked the ECAET one. OMG IT'S HIM! I finally know my favorite stage-Marius' name!

Acaila wrote:Don't think I've ever sat and watched the full Hollywood Bowl concert, but I remember quite liking his Marius in the 99 video.

Is it a full show video with JOJ by any chance? I've seen one in which JOJ was Valjean and he was Marius. I'm sure it was in the 90s but don't know which year exactly (whoa, probably one more Mistery solved today?) It's my favorite English Les Mis bootleg. :D

CC, I'm sorry I don't know what might be wrong. The link works fine for me so it's definitely still there. :oops:

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:00 pm

23623 wrote:CC, I'm sorry I don't know what might be wrong. The link works fine for me so it's definitely still there. :oops:

This time it worked just fine. What incredible singing.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:30 pm

Watching the Hungarian one. Don't know a word of Magyar but it is interesting to see. What I want is about 5 or 6 screens lined up, each with a different production synched up all running at once. With lyrics. In the original and below that in English. Oh, yes, with the name of the singer above each one so I can learn about some of these people. Yeahhh.

Postby 23623 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:15 pm

CC21106 wrote:What I want is about 5 or 6 screens lined up, each with a different production synched up all running at once. With lyrics. In the original and below that in English. Oh, yes, with the name of the singer above each one so I can learn about some of these people. Yeahhh.

Oooooh I can't agree more about this. All of my yes to English and original subtitles. I've watched/listened to Les Mis in so many foreign languages I don't understand at all. In fact the Hungarian cast was my very first stage (as opposed to concert) Les Mis video. I should have picked an English one as a starter but I was too eager to see that "2460AAAAAAAAAAH...", lol! (Just in case you're wondering what I'm talking about, go to Youtube and search "les mis blooper" :wink: ) Also it seems that I'm just incapable of memorizing names (see example above) so more information about performers is definitely needed. I literally feel like a Marius having just spotted Cosette whenever I find some really good actors but then realize that I don't know a single thing about them, not even their names. :(

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:31 am

23623 wrote:
deHavilland wrote:At first glance, I went "oh, that's Kevin Kern, but he was a Marius" but then when the camera got in really close, I realized it was not Kevin Kern. It's Tom Lowe** -- and that threw me off because he's British, not American. And again, not known as an Enjolras: he was Marius on the West End in 1998. (And a pretty good one.) (He did don the vest for a couple performances at the Hollywood Bowl in 2008, but not on Broadway or in London.)

Didn't recognize him in the anthem video but I did the moment I clicked the ECAET one. OMG IT'S HIM! I finally know my favorite stage-Marius' name!

Acaila wrote:Don't think I've ever sat and watched the full Hollywood Bowl concert, but I remember quite liking his Marius in the 99 video.

Is it a full show video with JOJ by any chance? I've seen one in which JOJ was Valjean and he was Marius. I'm sure it was in the 90s but don't know which year exactly (whoa, probably one more Mistery solved today?) It's my favorite English Les Mis bootleg. :D

CC, I'm sorry I don't know what might be wrong. The link works fine for me so it's definitely still there. :oops:

Yes, that's the one.
It's 12th November 1999 and the full cast for it is: John Owen-Jones (Valjean), John Stacey (u/s Javert), Gunilla Backman (Fantine), Jane Horn (u/s Éponine), Tom Lucas (Marius), Jaime Farr (u/s Cosette), Mark Powell (u/s Enjolras), Cameron Blakely (Thenardier), Joanna Mays (Mme Thenardier)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:40 am

Thank you, Acaila! Quite surprised to see so many understudies in the cast. I can't imagine how wonderful the principals must be since the understudies are already this good! The only exception is the Cosette who was really terrible in both singing and acting, but in fact I rather love her take on Cosette's character.

And discovered something unexpected again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B5aTIm ... ai&index=3
...in which Geronimo Rauch sings Christmas song in Spanish and Rob is really adorable when he's not Marius!

Yes, I know it's November which means Christmas is still far away, but I just spent the entire afternoon listening to the playlist. I've watched a full show video of this cast (Valjean was not Rauch though :( ). Didn't find anything special about the cast back then but I find myself warming up to them after these Christmas songs! :D

Return to “General Discussion”