Around the World for Abaisse

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Rachelle

Re: Around the World for Abaisse

Postby Rachelle » Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 am

Acaila wrote:
Scotland is a part of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", aka the UK. *Not* England, and while people do in practice get away with saying "Great Britain", you might not want to do it in hearing of any Northern Irish people (who often don't call themselves Northern Irish, but that's a whole other issue!).

:D

Acaila wrote:I tend to get mistaken for Irish when I visit America I've found, that's a lot less offensive!

An shopkeeper in Rome thought I was French.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri May 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Hehe, I wondered if that might reel you in ;)

Yes, people have also thought I was Australian :? Which especially weird considering my near-vampiric paleness!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri May 03, 2013 1:14 pm

You know me too well.
When I was in Paris with my parents some Irish school girls on a school trip thought my Dad was French as well. Apparently it runs in the family. :D

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri May 03, 2013 1:56 pm

I've been mistaken for being American or being Thai (but I'm not sure if the last one counts since the person asking me was rather groggy). My sister gets mistaken for nearly every other Southeast Asian nationality aside from Filipino.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri May 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Rachelle wrote:
Acaila wrote:
Scotland is a part of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", aka the UK. *Not* England, and while people do in practice get away with saying "Great Britain", you might not want to do it in hearing of any Northern Irish people (who often don't call themselves Northern Irish, but that's a whole other issue!).

:D

Acaila wrote:I tend to get mistaken for Irish when I visit America I've found, that's a lot less offensive!

An shopkeeper in Rome thought I was French.

And just to complete the circle, many people in France thought I was Irish when asked to guess where I was from. Maybe they could tell my native language was probably English but thought it would be rude to guess American (or English) right off the bat? :lol:

(It's a fun guessing game. Someone in Côte d'Ivoire thought I was Belgian because apparently my accent was noticeably not-French-from-France but didn't register as non-native. And then there was the guy in Paris who started with Russian and went through every other country in Eastern Europe before point-blank refusing to believe I was American when I told him.)
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri May 03, 2013 2:10 pm

That was awfully polite of them! :D It's funny to see how people's reactions to you change when they find out where you're from. We've had that a lot when travelling Europe. "Oh you're English? :x " when they judge by the language. "No, we're Scottish! :D " "Oh! I LOVE SCOTLAND! :o :) " There doesn't seem to be any nationality with a better reputation around Europe, which is rather nice because people are immediately friendly and helpful when they find out.

I've actually been mistaken, by English and Irish people, for an American. People have literally refused to believe that I (at least at that point) had never so much as lived in America for more than a two week holiday. But I think that's because I've neutralised my accent quite a bit for performance, and usually try to when I'm in non-Scots company, coupled with having lived all over Scotland meaning I don't sound particularly regional.

And then after staying in America last year, by the end of the summer people said "Oh, but you must have left Scotland for here a long time ago, you can only barely hear that you're not American!" :shock:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri May 03, 2013 2:12 pm

I don't have that strong an accent so I tend to pick up whatever I'm surrounded by, especially when I was in America for a month. Dundee is so full of Irish people that I haven't really picked up a Scots accent (yet).

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Fri May 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I love reading this thread :D

I have never gotten guessed from a different country, but I have for different states.

Kentucky and South Carolina seem to be common guesses for me, North Carolina also, Virginia (although, obviously I live there now ;) ), Pennsylvania, Georgia, somebody guessed Massachusetts which was rather random since I do not have the accent--- I think it was because i'm a bit American Revolution obsessed ;)

What state would y'all have guessed i'm from on my accent thing?
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Fri May 03, 2013 11:15 pm

I was often taken for someone from either Quebec or Australia, weirdly, when I was still living in France. (I seem to have a slightly english accent in french, wherever that comes from, and that confused the hell out of everybody)
Actually through my year there I had a running joke of everyone who told me 'oh, but you're not from France, are you' to have them guess where I'm from, and no one had it in less than five gos.
I'd really, really love to hear myself with french ears.

As to english, I had my Hooray-experience somewhere in England (yes, England, Acaila ;-) ) when I was walking through a small town and a car pulled up to me asking me directions. I had no clue and told her so, said I was a foreigner myself, and the lady in the car replied: "Ah yes, I can hear that. US, right?"... and I was like "close, but no cigar ;)"
Did feel flattered, though, I have to admit.
Especially since I equally admit to hate german accents. It sounds so ... ugh...
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat May 04, 2013 5:09 am

Em, I guessed you were from South Carolina.

Culture post time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeepney

What do you guys think of this? When we talk of jeeps here in Manila, THIS is what we mean. Lovely things in the sense they can literally go anywhere in the city, even down the narrow alleys. But also road hazards.
Last edited by Aurelia Combeferre on Sat May 04, 2013 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 04, 2013 5:10 am

Was there meant to be an attachment there?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat May 04, 2013 5:14 am

A pic. It isn't working? It's showing up on mine.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 04, 2013 5:35 am

Nope, it just says "Culture post time: Image"
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat May 04, 2013 5:37 am

Ergh. Just posted the wiki link. Ah well.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:27 am

Ooh, Jeepneys look pretty awesome. Kind of like the tour jeeps they have here in Hawaii for exploring the mountain paths -- some hikers who don't want to climb a full mountain will take a tour jeep halfway up or more, and then climb the rest of the way.

I'm half Asian (Okinawan/Japanese, to be specific) and half Euro-American (my preferred term, as I feel it's more correct than calling someone "white" or "Caucasian"). In Hawaii, I'm considered "hapa," meaning "half-and-half" -- many people who live here are a mix of different ethnic groups, so "hapa" is a nice and useful catch-all term (even if it's not always completely accurate, as people might have more than 2 ethnicities or might not be exactly half of any one thing).

But anyway, I had a rather amusing encounter once when visiting Japan. I was walking down the street and a young Japanese guy, perhaps 2 or 3 years older than me, walked up. He was a salesman and wanted to give me an advertisement for his company, but he seemed to get confused and lose his train of thought. After an awkward moment, I realized he was trying to figure out whether he should speak to me in Japanese or English, since I looked to be somewhat Japanese but not completely. I showed him that I spoke both, and we decided on a compromise -- since he wanted to improve his English and I wanted to improve my Japanese, we carried on the conversation in each other's native languages. :)

Return to “General Discussion”