Around the World for Abaisse

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
SpiritOfDawn

Re: Around the World for Abaisse

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 12, 2013 3:43 pm

I have a mother who commented, when I presented my boyfriend (whom she adores, so that's not the problem):
Oh, child, is that really necessary? Can't you get by on your own?
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 12, 2013 3:48 pm

:shock: :lol: What did you say to that?

Every family has a ridiculous tradition or two when it comes to introducing suitors/boyfriends/girlfriends. Ours is bad: these persons must pass the 'screening' of ALL the cousins. Which means that's fifteen people all in all to impress. We gave every boyfriend of my eldest cousin a difficult time, and were utterly merciless to her future husband until he handily beat all of us at board games.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 12, 2013 3:57 pm

I said: I'm not the one who's married.
And am not up to now...

Actually we have no tradition whatsoever on that... I think my mother would be glad if I were successful in my job and single...
we're a weird family.

They're ok of course with the situation as it is but the situation was really hilarious...
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Nice reply. :)

My grandmother is of the same mind; she made me promise not to marry till I become a doctor. Considering present situation, that certainly will not be a problem.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Sun May 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Aurelia, be careful, because soon it'll be your turn and your cousin will have no pity for you. :D
Unless she moves to another house, of course. Wow, I've learnt a few things about Philippines, what an expert I am.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun May 12, 2013 4:55 pm

My cousin has moved out, months ago in fact, but we still meet up very often (our family is so enmeshed, it's rather alarming).

And yes, we've ALL vowed to unleash as much payback as is necessary on each other. :lol: :lol: :lol: It will be mayhem: a dozen or so twenty-somethings all grilling each other's significant others. So far two have acquitted themselves well (my cousin's spouse, and another cousin's long-term girlfriend). I'm expecting they will be merciless when it's my turn for the simple reason that my love life is comparable to Enjolras' love life: non-existent!

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Sun May 12, 2013 5:07 pm

You should really visit an anarchist club or so, maybe you'll find someone close enough to Enjolras! :P
*tries to imagine a Philippino!Enjolras*

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Sun May 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Marianne wrote:
freedomlover wrote:I'm from New Jersey, but I go to school in Virginia.

I live in southern Virginia, in a large city surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. This is quite a contrast to the small NJ town I grew up in. I have what is known as a slight southern twang. In Virginia we pride ourselves on our historical significance and being one of the most influential states in the union. Most of American history took place in Virginia- first colony settled by the English, prominent state with many founding fathers, influential southern state in the Civil War, many Civil War battles were fought here. To this day Virginia shapes and defines much of American history.
Places I love? The cafe that closed--- it needs to open again soon :(, anywhere with my friends, getting away from the city and going into the mountains, the campaign trail, political sign barricades.

Famous political people:
Jim DeMint- was a South Carolina senator, Rand Paul- Kentucky senator, Obama- the president not very many people like, Michele Bachmann- becoming a well-known woman in politics, Hilary Clinton- she is a woman in politics, I do not agree with many of her views and she is sort of aging now but still active, Marco Rubio- 'heartthrob politician'- no joke. I'm not sure which other politicians y'all would have heard of...

The main issue dividing Americans is this

Should we give more power to the president in DC and the "Washington Elite" or should we cut that to size and bring it to the people and the states?

That was over-simplified since whole books can be written on that topic ;)

Roanoke? Charlottesville? :) Forgive me if I'm being nosy--mom's a UVA alum and we always used to do family vacations in the mountains near Charlottesville.

It's funny, it sounds like I come from the opposite side of the political aisle as you but I agree that hacking apart the horrid bloated mess in Washington is one of the biggest issues facing the country. I think the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street have more in common than they think--both are outraged about crony-capitalist elites screwing over everyone else and the unholy spawn of big business and big government feeding off each other, it's mostly a difference of which side of the coin they're more comfortable wagging their fingers at.

Or at least, that's what it looks like to this left-leaning libertarian.

Sorry, I thought I replied :(
Lynchburg, Virginia :) That isn't nosy, don't worry!

I totally agree about that, all the way :? They should work together with their common goals..
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Lau

Postby Lau » Sun May 12, 2013 7:52 pm

First of all, sorry for sneaking in the conversation :wink:
I guess this isn't exactly in-topic, but I've got a lot of cousins, too! Up until now only one is married-props to his wife, who endured the whole "troop" all together on Christmas day without freaking out, which was quite a difficult thing to do given that everyone was doing their best to be unbearable; anyway, it is renowned in the group that every potential boyfriend/girlfriend will have a hard time, even if we live far away from each other.
However, rumor has it that our parents-my dad and his eight sibilings- were worse than us: when my uncle first brought his girlfriend -now wife- home, our grandma bought some pastries. When she served them, the eight kids were surprisingly quiet and seemed willing to wait for the guest to choose first, much to her surprise and delight; anyway, when my poor aunt tried to reach for the tray, eight hands suddenly hit hers. Being the smart girl that she was, the next time my aunt claimed to have understood how it worked, and grabbed a pastry before my "evil" relatives could do anything :wink:
Little Cozelma wrote:You should really visit an anarchist club or so, maybe you'll find someone close enough to Enjolras! :P
*tries to imagine a Philippino!Enjolras*

I agree! No one would complain about Enjolras :D
Ici Bahorel reconnut à une fenêtre un jeune homme pâle à barbe noire qui les regardait passer, probablement un Ami de l’A B C. Il lui cria :
— Vite, des cartouches, para bellum.
— Bel homme! c’est vrai, dit Gavroche, qui maintenant comprenait le latin.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 am

I love that story, Lau.

Actually one doesn't *need* to visit an anarchist club here to encounter Enjolras type figures. Those people are deep in the grassroots (where I'm dying to be but for my being a med student!) I have met a few during my volunteer days as well. However the interesting part is that they may as well be *girls*, as Filipinas are very, very strong characters.

And yet violent revolution isn't in our culture either, so people who have even a shade of those radical characteristics tend to get the short end of the stick.

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Mon May 13, 2013 5:06 pm

I just thought of a very uniquely American thing.

Homeschooling:
A growing movement in these United States. Mainly because many people in the 1990s and 2000s were upset at public schools not teaching the students. This is not all public schools- there are some good ones in America, but some of them-- such as the one I attended were awful. There are many different methods of homeschooling, we buy a curriculum and in younger years go to homeschool clubs. When I started high school my curriculum was online and I made friends from all over the world. We also have programs (such as Generation Joshua) which hosts activities for homeschoolers (open to others) where we have a mock government and we go campaigning. This is where I met many of my closest and best friends. GenJ when not hosting campaigns or mock governments would have a website where we would all communicate and have a "book club" or just fun.
Being homeschooled was amazing :)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Mon May 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Wow. Interesting.
That's something that's really close to forbidden here in Germany.

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Tue May 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Was given permission to rant about this in the Cafe thread but thought it might be more appropriate here.

Ok, so The Highland Clearances....

Anyone ever wondered why there are so many people of Scottish descent all over the world? Why Canada has a New Scotland (Nova Scotia) where they speak Gaelic? Why New Zealand is actually named after the Shetland Isles? Why there are pipe bands in the USA? Why it is that everyone seems to claim "Wow I'm from Scotchland!" due to some great great grandmother?

The Highland Clearances is one of the main reasons.

Context first:
After Scotland joined with England (and Wales which was part of England) to form the United Kingdom, there was occasional unrest in Scotland through the next 50 years because the Stuart line of monarchs was basically done away with. People who thought they should bring back the Stuarts were called Jacobites, and there were a couple of famous Jacobite uprisings in 1715 and 1745. These, particularly the second, are big cultural icons of Scottish history. In Scotland at that time, things were still run by clan chiefs in an almost feudal system. It was the clan chiefs whose support made those uprisings possible because men would fight for their clan rather than their king, be it a dispossessed Stuart prince or the king in London. After the 1745 rebellion was eventually put down, the UK government decided that Scotland, particularly the Highlands had to be brought into line. Carrying weapons was forbidden, but most of the other laws were cultural oppression so things like playing the bagpipes was forbidden, wearing tartan or kilts was forbidden, speaking Gaelic (still a native language in most of the Highlands at that point) was forbidden. And with these came laws that broke apart the traditional systems that had made the clans a support structure at all levels, so you were basically left with poor farmers and rich landowning clan chiefs.

Sheep
The Highlands are a very rural place and Highlanders of the time lived through mostly subsistence farming. With little obligation to their tenants now, the landowners of the time wanted to make as much money from their land as possible. New breeds of sheep gave wool yields that were more profitable than the farmers they already had on the land. Simple decision huh? Only problem was, to make room for all these profitable new sheep, they had to get rid of the farmers who lived there.

Clearances
So the landlords wanted their tenants off the land. And they got their way, by any means necessary. Your family has lived and worked this land for hundreds of years? Too bad! Some farmers were given poor land on the coast where they could barely make a living, some were put onto emigrant ships to the New World, some were just told to clear off, and if they objected, were violently evicted or burnt out of their homes. Too old or sick to move out of your house? We'll see if you can't move once the burning ceiling is falling in on you..... And after all, it's not like the legal system will favour you over the wealthy low-land English-speaking representatives of the landowners who ordered the burning if you want to bring criminal charges is it? And after all, such people in their own words considered the Highlanders to be barbarous savages in dire need of "civilising".

Resistance
As has already been alluded to, it was difficult for many to resist legally. To add to that, many of the men were away in the army, which had always done well recruiting in the Highlands, perhaps due to a lack of any other options and increasing overpopulation, so it was often left to women to try and resist being thrown out of the places that had been their homes for generations. Attempts were made, sometimes they were even successful, but those with the money had access to all of the repressive power of the state, including the legal system, army and police. This is one such example of what happened when the people tried to resist:
"The police struck with all their force", said eye witeness Donald Ross, "...not only when knocking down, but after the females were on the ground. They beat and kicked them while lying weltering in their own blood. Such was the brutality with which this tragedy was carried through, that more than 20 females were carried off the field in blankets and litters, and the appearance they presented, with their heads cut and bruised, their limbs mangled and their clothes clotted with blood, was such as would horrify any savage."
Just one example of many stories of brutality from across the Highlands.

Consequences
Some people died in the evictions and resistance, others wasted away and died when they had no homes to go to and lived in a makeshift tent in their local churchyard. Starvation and cholera killed more Highlanders. As for the rest, some went south to the growing urban centres of the lowlands, but most (often followed by those who had gone south and struggled because of the huge populaation influx as a result of the Clearances) ended up boarding ships and heading for the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Depopulation never really stopped in these areas. In the mid eighteenth century, this part of Scotland was home to 20% of the population. Two centuries later, it was home to 3% of the population. And in many parts, the decline still continues today.

Some people think the Highlands are beautiful for their quiet tranquility. Maybe they don't notice the ruins of burnt out farm houses under their feet when they're looking at the peaceful scenery?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Whoa! That is a terrible story. No one ever made an apology for that?

Return to “General Discussion”