Love and Hugs - The Support Thread

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
redmiserable

Re: Love and Hugs - The Support Thread

Postby redmiserable » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 am

Those are questions I ask myself frequently about death, Speckles. Sorry to hear about it. *hugs*

Hey, Phan - it's not petty. Depression is a pretty big deal. And it's a big deal to find out you have it. But it doesn't mean you're invalid, and you can most definitely recover it! It's a long battle, but fortunately it's uphill. :mrgreen:

Dr Craven - I'm extremely sorry something unfortunate like that has had to happen to your girlfriend. Like we've said, it's not your fault at all and please don't beat yourself up about.

Resident Fennec Fox. Murr!
"Still feeling like Prouvaire. Always feelin' like Prouvaire. I didn't choose the Prouvaire life, the Prouvaire life chos-"

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Craven: I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to your girlfriend and that you feel so guilty about it. Like everyone has said, this is not your fault at all in any way.

Phan: I still love you, and every person who really matters will still love you, depression or not. I'm always here for you if you want to talk about it, and it is not at all pathetic to need help for something out of your control.

Speckles: I wish I could answer all of your questions about death and take away all the uncertainty about it, but sometimes I think we're better off not knowing. I know that's difficult, and I've thought a lot about death and what it really means this last year too due to some circumstances involving people I know, but I just try to assume that every person who dies is in a better place. *smishes*
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:49 am

My day isn't going really well. It isn't anything specific, I just feel really angsty and sad all of a sudden, and maybe it's teenager hormones, but it sort of hit me all of a sudden that aside from people on Abaisse, I don't really have anything in the way of friends. Which is altogether depressing. I don't know what's normal for other high-schoolers, but the most social interaction I've had with my peers all summer is saying hi to a couple classmates while I was on a bike ride. Last summer, I didn't see anyone from school at all, so it's not even a recent thing. I just don't have real-life friends. And I don't know what to do about it.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:12 am

Yeah, I was kind of ousted out of my friend group when underclassmen took it over. It's a tough situation especially on the emotions.

It's sounds crazy, but - join a club. Go to an event that has something you're interested in, if it's available. When school starts, say hi to that person in your class you've wanted to, especially if it's your favorite subject. When I switched to high school that wasn't the one my middle school fed into, I knew two people going to my school, and I only saw one of them regularly. I met my number one best friend by going up to her in gym and saying, "hey, you're that girl in my Acting class, aren't you?"
Try to do stuff that involves things you like so you can meet people with the same interests as you!

"Still feeling like Prouvaire. Always feelin' like Prouvaire. I didn't choose the Prouvaire life, the Prouvaire life chos-"

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:02 am

Even if I had friends, I wouldn't even know what to do with them. I've been encouraged to invite people over, but I don't know what I would talk about or do, or anything. I get on well enough with lots of girls, but I would call them acquaintences, if anything.

It was literally amazing to come here and be so quickly accepted, because it was so easy.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I remembered why I stopped going on Tumblr. (And to a lesser extent why I hardly ever go on Facebook)
I stopped going on Tumblr for an assortment of reasons mostly tying into the fact that I have really fucking stupid sibling rivalry issues. And now I'm crying. Again.

anything worthwhile I can do at least one of my sisters can probably do better and I'm pretty sure most of my friends like my sisters better than they like me and I was doing such a good job of forgetting about that

(hello, small circle of people who know me and almost certainly do not know my sisters, can I be pathetic at you please?)
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Oh, Morgan. I'm so sorry. That's one of the worst things to feel, and I'm really sorry it seems like that to you, but if it's any consolation, I honestly think you're awesome. Really awesome. And you have so many talents, there's no way your sisters can do all of them better than you. *hugs* I'm not quite sure what to say, but please don't feel badly. I don't know your sisters, or what the exact situation is like, obviously, but sibling rivalry is often normal, and sometimes, later, I've known siblings who didn't get along well at all, and had huge rivalries, who are now really good friends. I'm not sure this is helping at all, but Morgan, either way, you still seem like a really amazing and talented person to me, and a lot of other people here, and I hope that it works out for you a little better with them, but please don't let it get you too down, because you're too valuable for that.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:34 pm

The problem isn't actually that we're not friends; kind of the opposite. They're genuinely pretty awesome, and I do my best to be a good big sister and stuff. And if we didn't get along at all I wouldn't keep foolishly introducing them to my other friends...
I just have bouts of massive insecurity that I have to vent about to people on the internet because if I let the sisters know I'm upset they'll get upset too and it will all be awkward for ages.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:04 pm

So sorry to hear this.

You're a wonderful and amazing person. No amount of comparison ever changes that, Morgan.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:01 am

Morgan wrote:Thanks :)

The problem isn't actually that we're not friends; kind of the opposite. They're genuinely pretty awesome, and I do my best to be a good big sister and stuff. And if we didn't get along at all I wouldn't keep foolishly introducing them to my other friends...
I just have bouts of massive insecurity that I have to vent about to people on the internet because if I let the sisters know I'm upset they'll get upset too and it will all be awkward for ages.

I feel you, Morgan. It's really really awful to live in a sibling's shadow, especially a younger one, because it's just so frustrating and feels so backwards and ugh, I hate it too. What's worked for me is doing stuff they're not doing, and just sort of trying to get my own life away from them, because when they're in it they tend to just be better than me. That doesn't mean distance yourself completely, but just have some activities and places and people that are yours, I guess.

Also, you're freaking great, Morgan.

This is quite petty, so it goes in small print.

So, today I did a show with a cough, a cold, a sore throat, no voice, a bit of a fever and was a little dehydrated. And I did this show in the rain and got soaking wet. So now I'm watching the Breakfast Club and drinking ridiculous amounts of tea, but I still feel awful and will be going out to dinner any minute and just feel gross.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:24 am

Hugs to you Rachel and get well soon!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:06 pm

I hope you feel better soon, Rachel!

Oh Morgan.
I'm actually a bit in awe of you because every time you post you're always on-topic, full of interesting information (like with Japanese history), and generally just easy to talk to! No doubt you have maturity to match. I think you're a great person judging by your posts alone!

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:22 pm

Hugs for you, Rachel. Also (even more) tea. Tea always helps.

redmiserable wrote:Oh Morgan.
I'm actually a bit in awe of you because every time you post you're always on-topic, full of interesting information (like with Japanese history), and generally just easy to talk to! No doubt you have maturity to match. I think you're a great person judging by your posts alone!

asadkjfh :oops:

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:08 pm

*hugs AJ* Coming from someone who has a ridiculously hard time approaching people to make new friends, Leslie's advice is really good. It won't be easy, I'm the last person to pretend it is if you aren't a naturally outgoing person, but in the end it is definitely worth it if you get new friends out of it.

*hugs Morgan* I can speak from experience here too. It's not pathetic to feel insecure about your own abilities, but it isn't always healthy to compare yourself to someone else, sibling or not. Not to say that it will be easy to stop. I know I struggle with the same issues a lot because my little sister can do just about anything effortlessly it seems, but I've learned over the years that everybody is different, which seems like a really obvious thing to realize, but it's really true. Everybody has something that makes them special, and sometimes you'll share these talents with other people, but you have to remember that everyone is going to put their own spin on these things, and your talents are unabashedly you and will always reflect you. I don't know if this helps at all, but I hope it does.

*hugs Rachel* Feel better soon! *passes some tea to you too*
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:03 am

Well, it's been the first Christmas without my brother, and I think we coped well, but oh god I still miss him so much. :cry: I ended up buying a 'brother' card without even realising.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Return to “General Discussion”