Guilty Pleasures

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Acaila

Re: Guilty Pleasures

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:26 pm

I actually quite like Enjolras/Courfeyrac as a ship. More than Enjolras/Combeferre or even E/R actually (I'll happily sit and read E/R but I only ever ship it in AUs) So I'll be guilty along with you :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I agree with you there, I think Enjolras/Courfeyrac is totally valid and not anything you should ever feel guilty about. (Not that you should necessarily feel guilty about any ship, though.) Just look at Marguerite's A Passion for the Absolute. I think that turned a lot of people towards that particular pairing, no guilt involved. ;)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm

I just remembered that I actually started writing some Enjolras/Courfeyrac a while ago. I had some ridiculous plot bunnies while on a long bus journey, which was very very awkward. And I had no notepaper, even if I had been on my own. So by the time I got home and to a laptop, a lot of the inspiration had left me :(
Abaisse Chief/Chef

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:47 pm

deHavilland wrote:I agree with you there, I think Enjolras/Courfeyrac is totally valid and not anything you should ever feel guilty about. (Not that you should necessarily feel guilty about any ship, though.) Just look at Marguerite's A Passion for the Absolute. I think that turned a lot of people towards that particular pairing, no guilt involved. ;)

I've read APftA and I loved it; definitely got me hooked on the pairing. But, at the end of the day, I'm going to blame Despard and her gorgeous pictures for starting it all off. :) I'd write some of my own if I wasn't so crappy at writing Enjolras. Maybe in a few years, I dunno.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 pm

I've actually thought about writing an Enjolras/Combeferre ship but I'm not sure i could make it work. Actually I don't think any ship constitutes a guilty pleasure anymore

A big guilty pleasure of Ceri 's. Reading historical romance novels from the 1989s and 1990s. I'm always searching my local used bookstore for these little gems. Pirates, Vikings, knights, Indian warriors ---- they just don't write them like they used to.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28 am

The "Highlander" ones are absolutely hilarious to me. Invariably written by someone who's never visited Scotland or learned much about history :lol:

Thanks very much for recommending A Passion For The Absolute by the way Geronimo. It makes me very very happy! :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Oh yes! I had almost forgotten about the Highlander ones. I've read a lot of those too. All these romance novels are basically the same thing. A sexy hero rescues a damsel in distress and they bicker a while before falling madly in love. Not great literature but good for a quick read if only for some laughs at the historical inaccuracies.

One Highlander series I really enjoyed is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. This series has a lot more substance than some of those bodice rippers and the author seems to have done her research.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm obsessed with pirates. Not just POTC but pirates in general. And recently because of Sleepy Hollow I've become obsessed with the revolutionary war.
Pancakes are life.

RoseMarieIsSuzette

Postby RoseMarieIsSuzette » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:06 pm

Maybe those entertaining Barbara Cartland romances make me bit of :oops: sometimes?
Gorgeous avatar by unknown. Yes, fan of 2004 POTO, while NOT fan of 2012 Les Misérables! I can mumble and cry without music too...

HotblackDesiato

Postby HotblackDesiato » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Well...
The Beano comics, definitely. I used to read them when I was younger, and I have a couple of annuals and anniversary books. Just for the record, they should have continued the new Billy The Cat annual stories, they were class.
The Inheritance Cycle. Looking back, I know they've fairly dire, but I'm really very fond of them.
Horrible Histories, both the show and the books.
I read bad fic almost as a hobby—do you want someone who's read My Immortal (read, mind you, not listened to a dramatic reading, although I've done that as well) all the way through, read 3/5 of Imma Wiserd (it's an ongoing process) and more mediocre Skulduggery Pleasant and Sherlock (it was a phase) fic than you can imagine? You've got the right person.
Irn-Bru is the best drink on the planet. It's also so sugary it'll probably rot my teeth before I'm 30.
I can name near enough every single Rubberbandits song.

Postby 23623 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:47 am

*Nervously sneak in* Please don't judge me :D

LM-related guilty pleasures:
- CSR Valjean.
- Valjean's reaction after reading Marius' letter. I sometimes suspect that Valjean has some ... other thoughts *cough cough* ... about Cosette :twisted: God I feel so ashamed :oops:
I don't like fan fictions or slash but from time to time I do imagine some pairings that won't work.
- I once shipped Marius and Éponine. I still like "A Little Fall of Rain" a lot and secretly hope that the performers act as if they were really lovers. I also love some cute Marius&Éponine interactions on stage. (I'm a firm supporter of Marius&Cosette in the book though)
- And I sometimes ship Valjean and Fantine.

Non LM-related guilty pleasures:
- Wildhorn musicals
- Michael Crawford. I'm surprised that so many people criticize him. I join them in the Dance of the Vampires bashing but apart from that I still like his phantom.
- Dumas novels. I was obsessed with The Three Musketeers when I was a kid. (BTW I heard that there is a musical based on it. Is that worth watching?)
- Star Wars prequels
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “General Discussion”