Your first experience of Les Mis

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.

In what form did you first experience Les Misérables?

The book
18%
The musical - original production
6%
The musical - 25th anniversary tour production
8%
The musical - another production
12%
The 2012 movie
25%
Another movie
4%
10th anniversary concert DVD
8%
25th anniversary concert DVD
8%
CD recording
4%
Other
8%

Total votes: 51

Acaila

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Oh that's adorable! :lol:
And I'm with you, I *love* the OLC version of Little People, even if I understand why it was cut.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Actually, yes! I was called on to play the part at the very last performance when the kid who normally played him got sick. It was kind of an unofficial version modeled on the 10th anniversary concert (since the rights to do the show weren't available yet), and most of the cast was made up of local high schoolers who were frustrated that they couldn't officially put on a school production. Several of them played different roles each night, and at the last performance, it so happened that my real-life sister was playing Éponine. I hadn't read the Brick at the time, so the fellow playing Thénardier told me about my relation to his family... and so I ad-libbed the line "She was my sister" after ALFOR in much the same way as, years later, the 2012 film's screenplay had set it up. I was rather amused to see that in there. :lol:

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:26 pm

TAC video - Duisburg recording - novel - Duisburg show. That's how it went for me in 97.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Fleur-de-Lys

Postby Fleur-de-Lys » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 pm

I discovered Les Mis through the 2012 movie. Since then I've watched the 25th Anniversary DVD, and I'm still working on the Brick. I only have about 200 pages left now! :D
Somewhere beyond the barricade, is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing? Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that we bring when tomorrow comes!

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am

Last fall I found t3hfiasc0's videos of the 25th anniversary production on YouTube, so I checked it out out of curiosity. To my surprise, I loved it. I didn't understand the whole thing until seeing the movie. I love it almost as much as I love POTO, which I've been obsessed with since I was six.
Pancakes are life.

LaRévolutionnaire

Postby LaRévolutionnaire » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm a little bit ashamed to say that I first experienced les mis with the 2012 movie, but well, now, I'm full in! I did not even like the movie anymore, now that I have seen the musical... Their voices are so different! :wink:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 pm

No need to be ashamed! Not everyone had the chance to experience it beforehand :)
Where did you see the musical?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

LaRévolutionnaire

Postby LaRévolutionnaire » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:50 pm

I went to see it at queen's theater! It was amazing! :D

FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Postby FortressDoor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:12 am

Wait, does listening to Susan Boyle in the BGT auditions count? :lol: If it doesn't, 2012 movie

When I went to see the 2012 movie my brain wasn't really thinking properly, so I was getting bored at some points :o :o :o , but thankfully a couple of songs stuck in my head so when I went home I spent an ungodly amount of time listening to the songs on Youtube.

I wouldn't say that the 2012 movie made me a fanboy (although it is still my favorite Les Mis adaptation), I would actually argue that subsequent You-tubing did.
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

CosetteMari

Postby CosetteMari » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:14 am

I actually have to give credit to Phantom for making me obsessed with this, their 25th Anniversary. Who's in it? Ramin and Hadley. They performed somewhere else, too. Bam! Les Misérables 25th Anniversary. I first experienced Les Miz with the Anniversary, and I thought that they were an epic cast to showcase, especially with Sam and Katie, IDK, but I love them both! I saw a few posts that the blocking in the TAC isn't very good, well, I sorta have to agree. I just didn't enjoy it, IDK why too. The movie is my second time, and that was where (most Mizzies would hate me for liking this because of one reason I'm gonna put) I became obsessed, I put full blame on Hugh, and Russell. I guess I have different tastes than others! :wink:
Whenever I see either Roy, 'Pony, Enjy, Mari, Fantine, Comb, Couf, Jehan, Joly, and Gav, I fangirl... too much. (Do you guys know who Roy is? Well, if you barricaders go online to the new performers, you might know... :D)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:47 am

Never detailed the first experience:

Took up a horrible abridged edition of the book in my literature class, during my senior year in high school. My friends and I wondered about the Amis since they just seemed to come up from nowhere in the abridgement, so I was tasked to find a full, unabridged copy of the book that would explain the matter. We found one in the library, and I got through it in four days.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

saminana

Postby saminana » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:05 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote: We found one in the library, and I got through it in four days.

:shock:

Just wow!!

We sang On My Own at school. Does that count as first experience?
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

CosetteMari

Postby CosetteMari » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

saminana wrote:
Aurelia Combeferre wrote: We found one in the library, and I got through it in four days.

:shock:

Just wow!!

We sang On My Own at school. Does that count as first experience?

Possibly... anyway, it is part of the show and is a major of it, as we Mizzies say! :D
Whenever I see either Roy, 'Pony, Enjy, Mari, Fantine, Comb, Couf, Jehan, Joly, and Gav, I fangirl... too much. (Do you guys know who Roy is? Well, if you barricaders go online to the new performers, you might know... :D)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:00 pm

As the first post says:

Acaila wrote:Just something I've been curious about :)
In what form did you first experience Les Mis in a proper and complete fashion, as opposed to hearing about it or listening to a single track or six.

To clarify, after experiencing which of these could you have correctly explained the full plot of that version to someone else? (even if the correct details weren't necessarily canon correct, such as Valjean seeing Javert kill himself, Marius leading the Revolution, etc.)

Feel free to specify, especially for things like other productions, other movies, and recordings.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

LauraLeZunzu

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Me with the 2012 movie as many of you might know haha. Oh, most of you (as says the survey) were introducted with that movie too. Tom Hooper did an extraordinary thing :')

Return to “General Discussion”