Your first experience of Les Mis

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.

In what form did you first experience Les Misérables?

The book
9
18%
The musical - original production
3
6%
The musical - 25th anniversary tour production
4
8%
The musical - another production
6
12%
The 2012 movie
13
25%
Another movie
2
4%
10th anniversary concert DVD
4
8%
25th anniversary concert DVD
4
8%
CD recording
2
4%
Other
4
8%
 
Total votes: 51

User avatar
Aurelia Combeferre
Posts: 8847
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 am
Location: somewhere with the abased
Contact:

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Rachelle wrote:I mean, I love fans who've read the book, seen the show, seen the movie, but I think there are many fans who will only ever watch the movie or the show or both and never read the brick. It can be very intimidating and if you have no one to tell you that you can skip the sections that aren't relevant to the story, then I'm sure a lot of people give up or don't try.


True that. A lot of people don't have the time, actually. But it's good when everyone is open to discussing any points, no matter what format of the story they prefer/have been exposed to.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

User avatar
Rachelle
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: On the barricade- where else!

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:
Rachelle wrote:I mean, I love fans who've read the book, seen the show, seen the movie, but I think there are many fans who will only ever watch the movie or the show or both and never read the brick. It can be very intimidating and if you have no one to tell you that you can skip the sections that aren't relevant to the story, then I'm sure a lot of people give up or don't try.


True that. A lot of people don't have the time, actually. But it's good when everyone is open to discussing any points, no matter what format of the story they prefer/have been exposed to.


I've recently introduced one of my best friends to les mis. Another friend had showed her the 25th anniversary concert and she's seen the movie. She now has the brick on her kindle and I think she intends reading it sometime soon. It's difficult to advise anyone to read the brick because it's such a difficult read. It's long and has so many plot deviations.
Image
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

User avatar
Aurelia Combeferre
Posts: 8847
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 am
Location: somewhere with the abased
Contact:

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Rachelle wrote:
Aurelia Combeferre wrote:
Rachelle wrote:I mean, I love fans who've read the book, seen the show, seen the movie, but I think there are many fans who will only ever watch the movie or the show or both and never read the brick. It can be very intimidating and if you have no one to tell you that you can skip the sections that aren't relevant to the story, then I'm sure a lot of people give up or don't try.


True that. A lot of people don't have the time, actually. But it's good when everyone is open to discussing any points, no matter what format of the story they prefer/have been exposed to.


I've recently introduced one of my best friends to les mis. Another friend had showed her the 25th anniversary concert and she's seen the movie. She now has the brick on her kindle and I think she intends reading it sometime soon. It's difficult to advise anyone to read the brick because it's such a difficult read. It's long and has so many plot deviations.


I tend to 'prescribe' various editions/abridgements based on how much time said friend has, or how masochistic he/she is. I always ask, "How much do you really want to know?" So for my hassled med school buddy I suggested an Enriched Classics version, but for my amie who is interested in Hugo's views, I handed her a copy of the unabridged MacAfee translation.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Enjolvert
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:40 pm
Location: With Valjean and Thenardier

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Yeah, I agree that the main thing is when someone is open to the brick and has respect for it as the original source material and at least some interest even if they don't plan to read it. It's easy to forget how time consuming it is.
The law is unjust.

User avatar
Rachelle
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: On the barricade- where else!

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:
I tend to 'prescribe' various editions/abridgements based on how much time said friend has, or how masochistic he/she is. I always ask, "How much do you really want to know?" So for my hassled med school buddy I suggested an Enriched Classics version, but for my amie who is interested in Hugo's views, I handed her a copy of the unabridged MacAfee translation.


"How much do you really want to know?"
You wouldn't be able to tell that you were a medic at all.
Image
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

User avatar
Aurelia Combeferre
Posts: 8847
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 am
Location: somewhere with the abased
Contact:

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Rachelle wrote:
Aurelia Combeferre wrote:
I tend to 'prescribe' various editions/abridgements based on how much time said friend has, or how masochistic he/she is. I always ask, "How much do you really want to know?" So for my hassled med school buddy I suggested an Enriched Classics version, but for my amie who is interested in Hugo's views, I handed her a copy of the unabridged MacAfee translation.


"How much do you really want to know?"
You wouldn't be able to tell that you were a medic at all.


That's my humanities major side coming into play. :lol: :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

User avatar
Rachelle
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: On the barricade- where else!

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:
Rachelle wrote:
Aurelia Combeferre wrote:
I tend to 'prescribe' various editions/abridgements based on how much time said friend has, or how masochistic he/she is. I always ask, "How much do you really want to know?" So for my hassled med school buddy I suggested an Enriched Classics version, but for my amie who is interested in Hugo's views, I handed her a copy of the unabridged MacAfee translation.


"How much do you really want to know?"
You wouldn't be able to tell that you were a medic at all.


That's my humanities major side coming into play. :lol: :lol:


It's what we're told to ask patients before we give them a bad diagnosis.
The diagnosis in this case being chronic lesmis addiction with acute flareups.
Image
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

User avatar
Aurelia Combeferre
Posts: 8847
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 am
Location: somewhere with the abased
Contact:

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Ah I was taught never to ask that; we tend to go for the gentle but frank approach. Partly in the interest of health education, really. Beating around the bush has killed a lot of people here.

But I love the diagnosis you gave though.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

User avatar
Rachelle
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: On the barricade- where else!

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Ah I was taught never to ask that; we tend to go for the gentle but frank approach. Partly in the interest of health education, really. Beating around the bush has killed a lot of people here.

But I love the diagnosis you gave though.


Currently no cure is available and very few patients respond to symptom relief.
This should be an actual condition.
Image
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

User avatar
Acaila
Posts: 9986
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Enjolvert wrote:Yeah, I agree that the main thing is when someone is open to the brick and has respect for it as the original source material and at least some interest even if they don't plan to read it.


This! :)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachel
Posts: 2055
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 am

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Rachel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:08 pm

I can testify for just how time consuming this book is. I am reading an unabridged version of the book, no idea who the translator is, (at least, I assume it's unabridged. I've read like seventy pages on Waterloo, if it was abridged, the abridger person sucks at abridging) I've been off school with no internet (oh, the horror!) so I've just been reading. I've spent the majority of the last three days reading it and I've read maybe a third? And I read rather quickly, and I didn't look up all or even most of the historical references (which I kind of regret not doing, it sounds like Grantaire's rants would be awesome if I actually understood them).

My first experience was the 2012 movie, though I remember a friend of mine telling me about Les Mis and thinking, "sounds like Aladdin meets Prince of Egypt". Also, I had heard the Confrontation because my friend wouldn't shut up about how epic it was.
Image

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

User avatar
Prisoner 24653
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm

:shock: Oh, crud. Didn't see the "CD recording" option until after I had already voted for "The musical - original production," since I thought the CD would count for that. Is there a way to change my vote? :oops:

In any case, yes... the OLC cast album was my first exposure to the story. From there, I saw the touring cast in the mid-'90s, then the TAC... and then it was a few years before I read the Brick, saw other film versions, started collecting more recordings of the stage show, and eventually the 2012 film came along. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Acaila
Posts: 9986
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Lol, I just *knew* somebody would do that ;) Though I expected it to be with the concert dvds strangely. I thought putting "Read all the options before answering" might be too patronising but apparently not ;) :D I don't think it's editable alas!
But high five for the OLC as your first recording! :) I definitely learned Allam's version of Stars first <3
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

User avatar
Prisoner 24653
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Hehe, oh yes. And though that version of "Little People" probably wouldn't fit into the show as it exists today, I still adore it. That was why I begged and pleaded to play Gavroche in a school production, and others in the cast told me, "You do know that song was shortened, right?" :lol:

Rachel
Posts: 2055
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 am

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Rachel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Did you get to be Gavroche? If so, I am extremely jealous.
Image

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests